What's new

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Lightwaves;3121205 said:
Guys, I heard (from a good industry source) that what we have in stores now is not the original Polo Green. Apparently the scent was altered from its original some time ago.

I have to agree with the other reviews about the power of this stuff - a little goes a long ways. Put this one into the classic hall of fame.

There is a Polo Modern Reserve out now, which is a reworking of the original scent. But the original Polo green is still available everywhere.
Guys, I heard (from a good industry source) that what we have in stores now is not the original Polo Green. Apparently the scent was altered from its original some time ago.

I have to agree with the other reviews about the power of this stuff - a little goes a long ways. Put this one into the classic hall of fame.
Polo is my go to winter scent...period. Nothing smells better during Thanksgiving/Christmas and on those bone chilling days!

I only use the after-shave because the EDT is a bit more "chemically" scented....at least to my nose.

One splash of the AS to my face and neck will last me all day. I get that subdued "background" Polo scent and people smell me and say...."I never knew Polo could smell that damn good!!"

Overapplied Polo is what got this awesome juice a bad rep. A little goes a long way. My recommendation is to go with the AS.

I personally stay away from Polo during the late spring and summer months.
I have to be careful about my review because I'm not one who likes pine and lemon very much in a cologne, and although it's not listed in the unofficial/official notes, there is a synthetic lemon element that I detect. But mostly the pine! A sharp, green, freshly-cut grass thing going on here.

Although it won't break the bank by any means, it could be a cheaper fragrance considering its age. I mean, $40 for a 2.5 ounce bottle? After 32 years on the market? Shouldn't this be sold in 4 ounce bottles for $15 by now? Especially considering Ralph Lauren has released so many newer versions of the Polo brand since this one. But no matter, it's still a good scent, and I certainly can't say it's low quality. Plus, the packaging is very austere, very classy and simple, with a well-coordinated bottle design to match the box.

The scent itself is fresh, bold, outgoing without being obnoxious. But sexy? Eh . . . nah, wouldn't say it's sexy. Not going to slay the ladies by wearing Polo. And for a guy, isn't sex-appeal one of the first and foremost reasons for wearing cologne? Sure, we may think there are other reasons for it, including just liking a scent ourselves, but let's face it - deep down, we guys wear cologne because we either want to (a) beef up our masculinity in an olfactory way, and/or (b) we want to get noticed - and not by other guys!

If you want to wow a woman, you won't turn her off with Polo, but there are better alternatives.

It sticks around because it's a strong, green ('70s style green) scent. The atomizer is fine. This is a good, if not great, cologne.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
What else can be said. Wonderfull scent very manly strong and uniqe!!!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
Very big fan. Reasonibly priced, smells great and lasts long. A little goes a long way. It is one of the few scents that I can smell when someone else walks into my office.
It was also one of my first edt.
Great memories and great perfume
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Wonderfull scent very manly strong and uniqe. It's pine-foest scent but very elegant too. For ten years it was my favorite every day scent, but..... I discovered b&b forum and now I have 20 favorite colognes
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Love this stuff but has to be applied carefully, only one (maybe two) squirts are necessary.

For cooler weather only, you don't want to wear this if you're going to sweat.

The notes all suit the cooler seasons too!
This scent will always hold a soft place in my heart as it was my first fragrance and my father wore it as well. To this day, I still love the scent.

Everyone knows someone that used to wear too much Polo, but used in moderation it's quite nice and lasts forever. Price is not bad, and I've always loved the simplistic and classy packaging.

Alas, I can't find mine OR my father's bottle to wear. I miss this stuff, and will most likely pick up another bottle here before cool weather hits, along with Ralph Lauren Safari (another winner from Polo).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)