What's new

Polo Black

It takes work for me to pinpoint certain fragrances, because very often, especially with mass-produced synthetic scents by big names like Givaudan/Lauren, the notes take my nose for a wild ride, and my brain tries to make sense of it all by latching onto one or two of the more dominant elements. With Polo Black, that's exactly what happens. I got a somewhat fruity, powdery, greeny thing right up front, and they fuse together into what I can only describe as sweet, almost metallic, almost aquatic, powdered mango. If that makes any sense. And even stranger, this experience is always very linear for me, with very little development over time spent wearing it.

Light years away from original Polo is Polo Black, and quite frankly I have to wonder why the boys in Polo's back room didn't chuck the whole Polo franchise at this point, in favor of calling this something totally different. In any event, this is a sexy fragrance. Which is, to me anyway, why this is light years away from original Polo. I can't say this would be my first choice as a date cologne, but it's not the last. Although somewhat synthetic-smelling (which IMO means somewhat generic smelling), there are enough things at work here to culminate into a pleasant, clean, somewhat alluring scent. I'm not the best judge of its complexity because of the nose trick that happens to me with this cologne, but I'm sure there's more there than I can tell you anyway. The packaging is elegant, classic-looking, with a trademark matching bottle. This has fair longevity. The atomizer is fine.

This is a good choice for a night out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
This is a contemporary scent- 2005- and was unveiled to some fanfare. To me what is most remarkable about the scent is the lack of anything truly remarkable about the scent. It does the job very adequately, but is not truly inspiring in any particular way. This may, however, be its redeeming feature.

It opens nicely enough (from Base notes)- Iced mango, Spanish sage, "Green effervescent accord"; the middle is: Silver armoise, "Lush Liquid Accord", Hedione; and the base notes are: Patchouli Noir, Sandalwood, Timberol, Tonka Bean. Staying power was good, YMMV, and the patchouli and sandalwood are very nice on the dry down and linger just about right.

Reviews of this scent have been mixed, but unlike the critics of this scent, I actually enjoy it. Yes, for some reason the ladies do seem to like this one. Perhaps, the very underwhelming nature of the scent with its contemporaneity is what makes it work. Perhaps, sort of the scent equivalent of "comfort food."

It is a very good scent to wear if you are with someone who is sensitive to many scents, as is my SWMBO. This cologne did not trigger any allergic reaction where as many scents I own do.

Packaging and atomizer are very good quality and it is a high quality offering, but like all scents try before you buy. I tried it twice before purchasing and gave it a few hours after each testing. Surprisingly, I have come to like and wear Polo Black. Maybe, I , like our times, have come to embrace the expected. But whatever your reasoning, if you want something not too heavy, not too light, not too anything- so perhaps just right- give this a spray.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
With all due respect, your evaluation of this cologne and your score don't tally! Is the scent not to your liking? Just curious as to why your getting a great deal of female attention with regards to this cologne and yet score it at just over 50%!
I tried Polo Black after testing it at a dept store. It has a very pleasant fruity type aroma. Lasts pretty much all day with just a couple of spritzes. The one thing I can say about this cologne is that for some reason the ladies LOVE IT!! I've gotten more compliments from complete strangers on how good I smell while wearing this scent than any other cologne I've tried. Even more than Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mtn Water, two heavyweights in the smell good category. Women are just drawn to Polo Black for some reason, and believe me I'm not complaining. Give it a try and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)