What's new

Pitralon --Swiss made--

Item Description

This is one of the classic old European after-shaves. It comes in a 160 ml bottle and has this specific red sticker on it.

It smells a bit like sweet alcohol. Not the sharp alcohol, but flavoury, like the sweet taste and smell of Southern Comfort in comparison to let's say Johnny Walker. The heavy sweet of the Hyacinth stands out, together with the pronounced sweet of Anise. A bit medicinal but not too much medicine if you know what I mean.

Swiss Pitralon cools the skin a bit, maybe it's just the evaporation of the alcohol but there might be a little lemon or camphor in the mix. The alcohols will make you aware of any razor-burn you might not have noticed. After the initial sting, Swiss Pitralon will cure the razor-burn and leave you with a soft skin.

Summary: a big bottle of old-style (but not old-man!) sweet goodness. It took me some time to get to appreciate the smell but now I use it several times per week.

Latest reviews

Pros: soothing
Cons: duration
very nice, light scent that doesn't stick around to wear out its welcome. Very much an alcohol based product, but I really didn't get a burn from it. I received this as part of a sample pack so I cannot comment on price, but a good quality aftershave I'll probably use again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just back from a trip to Switzerland where I picked up two bottles of Swiss Pitralon AS Splash (for the very reasonable price of 10 Swiss Francs for a sizable bottle).

I've only used it twice so far, so I'm going to limit my initial comments to the scent. After thinking about it for quite a while, I've finally identified it...it smells somewhat like Williams Pear brandy (Poire Williams Eau de Vie)...a clear, unaged, unsweetened liquor distilled from Williams pears. It's a potent, faintly scented, firewater with just a hint of pear flavor, but quite nice as a post-dinner digestif (the brandy, not the Pitralon!:lol:).

Whether I'm going to like smelling it on my face in the morning remains to be seen...a few more trials are in order.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
First of all let me begin this review with a big thank you to Silverstar on this forum who helped me to obtain two bottles of this fine A/S directly from Switzerland. I would like to send a big kudos to him for doing this.

Price: Extremely good value, compared to what you can buy in North America and the UK this is a product that would retail for much more.

Quality: No problems here. Some people say they dont like the bottle, but personally I think the brown glass bottle has a very sophisticated classic feel.

Fights Razor Burn: Top notch. As someone who can often get razor burn this product performs better that any of the other A/S I have used from Aqua Velva to Bay Rum.

Cooling Sensation: The product has no menthol, but there is a little cooling from the alcohol.

Scent: Swiss Pitralon has a very unique scent compared to any other A/S I have used. The description of the scent as being that of Pears is pretty close to the mark, I pick up the smell of lemons and also some floral tones. Overall the scent is actually very complex, but is very pleasant and fresh smelling. It is not long lasting.

Efficacy: Pitralon heals the skin. Typically I don't react that well to alcohol based A/S but since using Pitralon, I must say my skin has never been better.

Moisturizing: My skin is so moisturized using this that I have to remind myself that it is an alcohol based product.

No Alcohol Burn: Almost no burn.

So overall, I consider this to be a must-have A/S. Certainly I have used nothing else since getting some a few months ago.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)