What's new

Pinaud Bay Rum aftershave

Pros: price/availability
Cons: very fluid
So after wearing this stuff for over a week, let me give you a mental picture to guide you. You are eating day old Easter ham (baked in heavy cloves) while siting under the cabana on a beach drinking rum.
The clove scent lasts a good 6 hrs. I have a sensitive nose, and i dont have any side effects from it. Meaning i use most after shaves as a cologne. I blend this with one shot of my Givinchy Pi. I even splash some on during the weekend shave breaks.
It doesnt burn unless you are cut.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Razor burn eliminator. Wonderful smell. Great burn.
Cons: Too much clove
This is a very powerful AS. Tightens up the face considerably. Hides razor burn very well. Smell is nice but too much clove - smells like Christmas cookies. The burn is off the charts intense. Makes my face numb sometimes. Love this stuff for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, lasting scent
Smells like heaven, burns like Hell. A nearly-perfect alcohol-based after shave. For my money, it is far superior to the other "cheap" Bay Rum choices out ther, (I'm talking Lucky Tiger, Lustray, ect.).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells terrific, inexpensive, readily available
Cons: none
My favorite A/S. I like Bay Rums but I'm not sure that this one really smells like Bay Rum. Instead, after dry down it reminds me of just a really nice pipe tobacco.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: price
Cons: scent
I'm going to give my recommendation for this product because it's a quality Pinaud scent and I don't want to badmouth them. They make great, affordable aftershaves and I don't want them to stop. Unfortunately this stuff makes me smell like a ham in the oven. I could wear it to a thanksgiving dinner but anywhere else I feel self conscious smelling like a delicious dish. I only bought a sample so I'll probably be PIF-ing that soon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive and Easy To Find
Cons: The Smell
The aroma is just way too strong of clove. Completely dominated by clove. So much so, that its almost like pulling off a joke wearing it. If you want to smell like a kitchen at Christmas, this is the stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
:biggrin: :biggrin: I was so happy when I found out that this beautifully scented aftershave wasn't extinct. The last time I had it was 30 years ago, and did I ever miss it, until this past week, I received 2 bottles of it that I'd ordered. Everytime I splash it on, it reminds me of when I was a kid. I love the bay rum scent, it has a nice cooling sensation, and it's not expensive, and it's great to wear for the office. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jeff
Despite the fact that I have given poor scores in some areas, I love this product. Whether or not it is for you depends entirely on what you are looking for in an a/s product.

I find the price, quality, and scent of Pinaud's Bay Rum to be right on. It also does an adequate job of fighting razor burn.

This product is not a cooling or moisturizing product and can burn like the fires of hell if you have any facial irritation after the shave. After a bad shave, this product can have you slamming your hand in the door in an attempt to forget how bad your face is stinging.

As I tend to like moisturizing qualities in my aftershaves, I have gone to using this product like a cologne. It has a stout and lasting scent that I really enjoy and my wife absolutely loves.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is very affordable, ($6.99 for a 12 oz. bottle.) It smells great. Fights razor burn. Although it is an alcohol based aftershave it seems to provide some moisturizing for my skin.

As for the alcohol burn it definitely does burn. But it also cools to a certain degree while burning your face.

If you like the Bay Rum Scent it is definitely worth a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
What a nice surprise! I used this yesterday for the first time, and found it to be a deliciously scented, long-lasting, spicy delight. I can't imagine this not going well with anyone's scent, it's a really nice splash cologne, and I'd wear it before going out for the evening, even if I hadn't just shaved.

It did burn a bit, but not terribly (at least, not as awfully as the Santa Maria Novella Lavender firebomb aftershave I also have), and did give my face an interestingly sealed-moisture feel. Let's just say that you probably don't want to use an alcohol splash after any particularly rough shave (c'est la vie), but splashing some of this on after a smooth one is more than a little reward. I was catching whiffs of this for about 5 hours, not bad.

I highly recommend this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
A great Bay Rum scent at a great price!

I generally do not use this as an aftershave, mostly as a cologne, but any way you use it, you will not be disappointed. A barbershop classic that keeps getting better everytime I reach for it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is the scent that I remember from way back when Ralph owned the local barbershop. He would hit me with that and the talc after the cutting was done, and I smelled great!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Lovely stuff! And it really does burn! Feels great to me, the other aftershaves I've tried just tingle. Must be something to do with the cinnamon and cloves in it. Smells really nice, I like it a lot.

Seals the skin just fine after a crappy shave (dull bladed straight that needs more work on the blade), once the burning has gone its like having new skin.

No moisturisating proerties whatsoever, so I applied an unscented moisturiser aftewards.

I really enjoy it, makes me feel like a pirate!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I bought myself a bottle of this stuff at my local Rite Aid. Thought I would give it shot. I am a firm believer in alcohol based aftershaves. Boy, did this stuff burn. But it was awesome. The smell is clovey, but I didn't find it cloying. It didn't last long, either. I like that in aftershaves. If I wanted a scent to last all day I would buy cologne. My face was smooth throughout the day. The alcohol closed the pores nicely. A definite keeper. The wife wasn't totally impressed, but it was passable. Better than the reaction I got with Aqua Velva (read my review). I would buy this product again.
Great stuff.

when I first put it on, yowza what a burn. After a few moments, it goes from a 'burn' to a pleasant warmth so my face feels warmed but not unpleasantly so. This is sort of the "anti-Aqua-Velva" in that sense.

The scent is enjoyable, powerfull, and long-lasting. Well, I say it's 'enjoyable', but like everything else one man's scent is another man's stink ... a personal preference. I'd pick this for winter wear, rather than summer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this stuff since my teens when I would steal a splash from my old man every now and then. I don't mind the burn. I have actually noticed that my face feels numb shortly after applying. I have attributed this to cloves possibly? I tend to use it in spring and fall. Don't get any in your mouth. It tastes terrible, and seems to numb my mouth as well. It even tastes bad long after it has dried.

Smells great and works well. I will always have it in the cabinet.
This sort of reminds me of Atomic Fireballs--those hard candies we used to eat as kids that would burn your mouth and occasionally, we were told, cause the odd kid to choke to death. I would guess that that Atomic Fireballs had lots of cinnamon in them--as well as cayenne and sugar.

It's the smell of sweetness and cinnamon in Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum that makes me think of Atomic Fireball candies. So, too does the risk of choking to death from it.

I really want to like this stuff, since I am such a fan of basic Clubman AS. But this smells like the aforementioned Atomic Fireball candy along with something else, something that is not an odor that bodes well.

Some time ago I had to go through some training for chemical warfare. The instructors emphasized that certain chemical toxins had a sickly sweet smell. I often tried to imagine exactly what this sickly sweet smell of death would be like. I think I know what it is now: Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum.

However, I am going to hold onto my bottle. I am loyal to the Clubman brand. I will give it another chance, try out some other Bay Rums. Maybe this is a fine Bay Rum as Bay Rums go...and I simply don't like Bay Rum. Or maybe my tastes will change, and I will grow to like it.

At the very least my bottle of Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum will make a fine area defense weapon in the event I need to scare off a mob of people and send them choking and gasping for air. I'm fairly certain this stuff would work better than military grade CS gas. So for this purpose it gets a "10" for efficacy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
D
Man I love this stuff, love! It tends a bit closer to a cinnamon scent than some of the bay rums I've used. It smells fantastic, its cheap, but man its not for the timid because it can burn (especially if you went daydreaming off about the girl next door while welding that Valet Autostrop there, let alone your treasured cut throat). With a good shave, it still burns but burns less (which can be a bit of a pleasure--hell I like tattoos to though). I would encourage everyone to atleast try this as a cologne.

I just want to rub my face all over with it :lol: lol
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Not that this stuff needs another review, but I'll add my two cents.

Price was good but I gave it a 9 because I had to order it.

I was surprised that it actually did a pretty good job of fighting razor burn. My face felt extra smooth and toned afterwards.

This stuff is volatile, of course it has a cooling sensation.

I can't get enough of the scent! I love it.

It does what it's supposed to do, in my opinion.

It doesn't moisturize much so I supplement with something else.

The alcohol burn varies. If I slap it on right after I shave I have been known to run around in circles fanning my face and shouting profanity. If I put something like corn huskers on first the burn is very mild and actually quite pleasant.

Good stuff!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I just broke this stuff out again after some time away from it and holy smokes! Literally, this is the stuff to use if you have to go out in the frigid winter weather after shaving.

It is inexpensive, and the quality of the product is excellent.

I don't understand how people say it fights razor burn. If you already have a razor burn, this stuff will only light it on fire again.

There is no cooling sensation when your face is burning.

The scent is strong and Piratelike. Sometimes I add a dab of something like Trumpers Spanish Leather on after the Bay Rum dries. If you want visions of swashbuckling bucaneers then this is the hot set-up. It joins well with other "spicey" scents.

I've never noticed any moisturizing affects and the alcohol burn is well known.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)