What's new

Pinaud Bay Rum aftershave

Pros: price
Cons: scent
I'm going to give my recommendation for this product because it's a quality Pinaud scent and I don't want to badmouth them. They make great, affordable aftershaves and I don't want them to stop. Unfortunately this stuff makes me smell like a ham in the oven. I could wear it to a thanksgiving dinner but anywhere else I feel self conscious smelling like a delicious dish. I only bought a sample so I'll probably be PIF-ing that soon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, lasting scent
Smells like heaven, burns like Hell. A nearly-perfect alcohol-based after shave. For my money, it is far superior to the other "cheap" Bay Rum choices out ther, (I'm talking Lucky Tiger, Lustray, ect.).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Razor burn eliminator. Wonderful smell. Great burn.
Cons: Too much clove
This is a very powerful AS. Tightens up the face considerably. Hides razor burn very well. Smell is nice but too much clove - smells like Christmas cookies. The burn is off the charts intense. Makes my face numb sometimes. Love this stuff for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive and Easy To Find
Cons: The Smell
The aroma is just way too strong of clove. Completely dominated by clove. So much so, that its almost like pulling off a joke wearing it. If you want to smell like a kitchen at Christmas, this is the stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: price/availability
Cons: very fluid
So after wearing this stuff for over a week, let me give you a mental picture to guide you. You are eating day old Easter ham (baked in heavy cloves) while siting under the cabana on a beach drinking rum.
The clove scent lasts a good 6 hrs. I have a sensitive nose, and i dont have any side effects from it. Meaning i use most after shaves as a cologne. I blend this with one shot of my Givinchy Pi. I even splash some on during the weekend shave breaks.
It doesnt burn unless you are cut.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Smells terrific, inexpensive, readily available
Cons: none
My favorite A/S. I like Bay Rums but I'm not sure that this one really smells like Bay Rum. Instead, after dry down it reminds me of just a really nice pipe tobacco.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
....like a flamethrower to the face or a scorching Arizona summer sun. Seriously, this stuff incinerates your face so that you no longer feel the minor irritation of razor burn.

The price is phenomenal, and the scent is ok. My barber did give me his secret for reducing the burn....

"Oh, f*** yeah, you gotta dilute it with water." Although he uses Stefan's, which I'll probably order next. Taking his advise, I created a 50-50 mix, and am much happier. :thumbup:

As with most a/s, the scent doesn't last very long, however.

Bottom line: If you must use an old school barber shop aftershave containing alcohol, you could do a lot worse than this old classic. If you want to soothe razor burn and/or moisturize after a shave use something else.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
This is potent stuff. Do not splash this on after you've had a mediocre shave, unless you want to feel the Fires of Hades. Or maybe you DO want to feel those fires, in which case do I have an aftershave for you!

There may be better bay rums. Pinaud has a strong clove note. Ogallala's are more well-balanced, Superior 70 is a pure bay rum with nothing else. Obviously bay rums cover such a wide spectrum that this is a question only you can answer, and at a low price available conveniently from a neighborhood drug store.

Worth a blind buy for a few shekels.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Bought a bottle tonight. I have passed it (and the Pinaud Clubman) many times in the local drugstores and never gave trying it a thought. Looked to be too old school for me, and at the price, how could it be anything worthwhile? After discovering this site and seeing how many folks liked it, I thought I would buy my first bay rum. My wife remembers her grandfather wearing it and how much her mom liked the smell. Well, cloves and cinnamon are the dominant scents. My kids came home an hour later and said they couldn't smell it at all, so I guess it doesn't last very long. The wife isn't crazy about it. She smelled cloves and said it reminded her of a ham. So, I'll give it a try, but I don't think I'll use it often. My sister has purchased a couple of more expensive bay rums for her husband, and she thinks I may like them better (Dominica and Royall Bay).

Definitely reminds you of island spices.

EDIT: I wore it all day today. I didn't experience the burn after my AtraPlus cartridge shave. I might just not be a spice guy, as the scent gave me a headache all day! I'll still try a couple other Bay Rums...when on vacation visiting my brother-in-law!
I just bought a bottle of this stuff. I really wish I could have smelled it in the store. I tried some and I now smell like a cookie. I just don't see myself using this stuff too often.
FrankPoole;1249440 said:
Wore once and threw the rest out. St. Johns Bay is the way to go.
Smells like a urinal tablet

I have never smelled a urinal tablet that smelled like bay rum before, you must have been going to the bathroom in a fancy place.

I think this stuff smells good, not as good as Dominica, but still good, its heavy on the cinnamon. Wife likes it better than Dominica; for the price, you cannot go wrong on buying a bottle of this stuff. Takes me back to the old school days, even though I wasn't around then.
That stuff is just great, it smell fantastic. That's my favorite after-shave. When im done whit shaving i apply some on my face and after i splash some more on my chest and wherever it needs to smell good:eek:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Wow:eek: previous posters were NOT KIDDING when they equated this to burning like Hades. That said, once you are through the initial minute or so of burn this makes your face feel great the remainder of the day. I guess it's like they say "No pain...no gain":w00t:. I'm impressed enough to now order the Special Reserve...will see what happens.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
i love the scent. it burns pretty good, but it leaves my skin feeling very smooth. the scent last ok, i'd rather it was a little stronger as the day went on. this is a must buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
This splash has a great cinnamon scent, similar to an Atomic Fireball. It has a great warming burn after a shave that definitely perks you up. Easy enough to find at drugstores and for a good price ($6.99/12oz here). A splash that should be in every cabinet.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
This is my go to aftershave. I use it after just about every shave. The scent is great. It's spicy and sweet while still masculine. It lasts long enough to be used as a cologne but it's not overpowering. I get lots of compliments on its pleasing aroma.

I have sensitive skin after four passes with my razor and this tonic burns like a woman scorned. But, I love the way it tones my skin after a good shave. It's totally worth the few seconds of napalm on your face. Suck it up.

Highly Recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
With its delicious smell, I tend to wear this if I shave in the evening. Wife likes it. Also it's a good fall smell. Smells like Thanksgiving. Yum.

In mornings, however, I like wearing Clubman, which, to me, is a clean, ready-to-start-the-day-early smell.

Again, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum just smells delicious! Really like it. Even though I didn't like it the first time I spelled it from the bottle, it is now my favorite.
Price: One of the cheapest but even at $8 I feel it is a bit high when comparing it to things like Nivea. You do get a decent size bottle of it for this price though.

Quality: Above the bottom of the barrel but has super cheap packaging.

Fights Razor Burn: This is does well as long as your skin can handle the alcohol.

Cooling Sensation: ya right :eek:

Scent: If you like clove cigarettes you will LOVE this stuff. I put it on in the morning and could still smell it strong the following morning. Way way too much scent for an AS. I personally hate the scent but feel I gave it a fair shot.

Efficacy: I noticed a reduction in redness on irritated areas and a slight increase on non-irritated areas.

Moisturizing: My strop feels more moisturized than my face did after using it but it is alcohol based so you have to sorta expect that.

No Alcohol Burn: :eek: After I brushed away the ashes that used to be my face it continued to burn for at least another minute or two.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Wore once and threw the rest out. St. Johns Bay is the way to go.
Smells like a urinal tablet
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
This has a great spice scent which the wife likes a bit better than most other Bay Rums that I use, and overall, it's my personal favorite of the Clubman products.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)