What's new

Personna Platinum (Israeli)

These left my skin irritated! The cut was rough for sure, especially on my neck. The blade had trouble cutting hair on my neck and I prepped very well. I had to use a lot of balm to fix my face after the cutting I received. My face is smooth but very irritated.. I like the RED IP's better.. Trying 7'oclock yellows and blacks next and the sputnik teflons after that..
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
My favorite, after a year of globetrotting through manufacturers via teh interwebs searching, ever searching.

Less than U.S. $0.14 per blade delivered to my door. Great price for an all-round solid performer!

For me, the comfort factors all add up such that no other blade does for me what these do. These are generally accounted good middle of-the-road blades; for me they are top-shelf. Sure there are sharper brands, some last longer, but a sharp, forgiving blade is a treasure for me. A#1! :thumbup:
Worked just fine in my Rotbart with Cella. Nice clean shave, hardly any irritation. Give it a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
ebay has 5 for $1.50
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
After shaving with this blade in my Merkur 38C I fell in love with this blade on the first shave and it did not disappointment on the second, third, and fourth.
Glides smoothly and absolutely no razor burn.
Cleanest shave I've had.
This is the one I will buy in bulk.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have been using DE's for a couple of months now. I've tried about 8 different brands of blades and the Israeli Personna - white stands far above all the others for me. I get about 5 shaves with one blade and the price is very reasonable at about $18/ 100.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction of a sample pack to try out with my 1961 fat boy.
Thanks chaps
Kevin.
These, up until last week, were my standard-bearer blades (that distinction now belongs to the Dorco ST-300). One big deal for me was consistency: the Merkur blades I still occasionally use do the job when they work, but I've gotten a rash of bum blades over the last several months, and when my remaining stash of them is exhausted, that's it. The IPs have been solidly consistent, as well as crisp, sharp, and non-quirky in use. And the packaging, IMO, is perfect: 100 blades in a compact, recyclable box that takes up precious little space. Not fancy, as some here have lamented, but remember, you're paying for the blade, not the packaging.

Highly recommended
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
After going through a razor sample pack, these were my favorite. A smooth shave and no irritation. Some say they dull faster than others, but I haven't noticed that. I change blades after two shaves (3 tops on occasion) every time.

I like that they are so cheap in bulk and that they don't come in flashy packaging. Not much else to say!
D
Price: $15 for a hundred. It equals the average price I pay.

Quality: The quality seems consistant.

Sharpness: Not really. The first shave may seem fine.

Longevity: I can hardly get 4 shaves.

Smoothness of Shave: Pulls hairs out but doesn't cut me.

Packaging: Honestly, its the best. A small tight package. Not a bunch of loose soft paper packaged 5 packs laying around. Takes up very little space. No blade disposal but most blades I buy do not have one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I've been wetshaving for about four months, and I've used Dorcos, Derbys, Feathers, and Zorriks. I like these better than all of them! And yes, even better than the Feathers:) I shave my head everyday with 3 passes (wtg, xtg, atg), and these cut with very little effort, while seeming to fly over my skull at the same time. I've used them with both Nivea Milde Rasier Creme and Erasmic, and I find the performance slightly better with the Nivea. I'm real happy with the packaging, all paper, biodegradable, and what's more or equally important, recyclable. I gave a lesser score in the longevity department that may or may not be deserved, and here's why - this is the first blade that has really seriously wowed me, and I think the waning of that first super performance was just very pronounced, whereas maybe other blades I've tried have lost it more gradually. The high performance lasted about two days, but I've been using these blades for four, and really all that's missing is the "rush" you feel when a blade that you like is new out of the paper, the shaves are still just fine - my head is a cue ball LOL. Many people compare these to Derbys, and the comparison does makes sense, but I find these to be a little sharper and more aggressive than Derbys (and I do like Derbys), but stopping before the Feathers (obviously). I don't think you can nick yourself up too badly with these, either - I didn't cut myself once, and it does happen to me around the backs of my ears, often with an unfamiliar blade. And this is what I've been looking for - great cutting, but ease. Oh, before I forget, my razor is a Weishi, so you know and have a comparison with yours (I finally read Jim's points on a good review:) These really have a good balance of qualities, and what's more they're well made with a smooth finish, and don't cost a lot.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
D
Surfing for the Personna Red blades, I find offers of the blades made in Israel and blades made in the USA. Is there a except for the obvious (made in Israel or USA) a difference in quality between these blades?
I bought 100 of these on Ebay when I first started wetshaving. I'd read enough positive statements about them here to feel it was a good gamble; I'm glad I went with them.

To my mind, for the price, the quality of these blades can't be beat. They're consistently sharp and smooth. I use them for three shaves, then toss them. I feel fine not trying to push the envelope of longevity at under 20 cents per blade. I docked them a point for sharpness because I guess a Feather would be considered sharper. Cool, they cost 40 cents more each as well.

I'm a big fan of the minimalist packaging. I can store the box away from the prying eyes and fingers of my two young'uns. Even if they do spot the box, it's not particularly attracting to the eye which I find perfect.

These are my daily blades and the benchmark for all others. If I can get a smooth, irritation-free shave from these bad boys, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to shell out the dough for Feathers or Swedes.

I shave primarily with a '58 Super Speed and use both soaps and creams, though I lean toward soaps.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've been using these blades over a year now and they are great! I've tried several different blades from Derby,Feathers all the way to the Gillette Swedes. Hands down IP's produce a smooth and very forgiving shave. I don't mind the packaging as there is no bulk and minimal waste produced. As for sharpness I change my blade every two shaves as they are quite cheap to buy. I use these blades in my Progress and have a very enjoyable shave each day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Defiantly a cut above the Wilkinson Sword blades I had been using. The price is fantastic and certainly makes me remember why i started wetshaving. Not as sharp as feather blades, which for me, is a good thing. They shave easily without irritation, and are forgiving if I'm in a rush. I love the packaging because how impossibly small it is and how easy it is to store in my cabinet. Glad i found these when i did :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
My preference is Derbys but these come a close second. Derbys are less forgiving but go BBS in fewer passes. I generally find I need at least one extra pass with an IP to get an equal shave. IPs are more forgiving though, so if I'm going out etc, I'll switch to an IP to avoid nicks. I don't think I've ever nicked myself with an IP something I can't say about a Derby. I think the packaging of IPs is great, really eco-friendly and minimalist. Could happily live with just IPs and never use another blade, of course it help that they're cheap as chips.

Edit: Now (Nov 2013) being sold under the brand name "Q-Ball Platinum Plus"
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These are probably the closest thing to perfection I have found. Just the right combo of smoothness and sharpness. I dont need Feather/Sweede sharp, these do me just fine, bbs with no irritation. I rated the packaging a 10 because it is so efficient, no waste. These are my favorite blades! Highly recommended!
I bought these off eBay from lildeb66143 for a total of 16.75$ shipment to Europe included. At today's extremely favourable USD/EUR exchange rate, these are even cheaper than Derby's. Price is therefore 10. The quality is great, no bad blades encountered so far: 9. Sharpness, they do the job for me and achieve BBS after three passes: 9 (where feather and swede are 10). They are very, very smooth blades for my skin, I can't feel them on my skin, I rate them 10. Packaging: ecological and practical, biodegradable, nothing fancy, no blade disposal slot, so an 8. Longevity: same as Derby, around four shaves, a 9 here.

My new favourite blade, works for me in combination with an adjustable (Merkur Progress, Gillette Fatboy and Slim) as well as a non-adjustable (Gillette Superspeed red tip).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are very good blades at a very good price. I enjoy them every time I use them and find them to be my go to blades. No sexy packaging or cases but a great deal.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: $ 0.15 each or thereabouts (depending on what you pay for shipping) speaks for itself.

Quality: I have found these blades to be consistent in their excellent quality.

Sharpness/Smoothness: Sharpness somewhere in the region of Swedish G's (to my mind), with superior smoothness. Just hear them cut through that stubble, then feel the smoothness. I give them 10 on each count because they offer the ideal balance between the two for me.

Longevity: I get three great shaves out of one blade. I could try for more, but these feel so good new, and are such great value, that I don't see the point.

Packaging: OK, the cardboard box isn't the best way to keep your blades neat, but you can always transfer them to smaller containers for ease of transport. I like individually wrapped blades, so these are good for me on that count.

Note: I have tried these only in a Merkur Progress (setting 3) and once in a Slant, but the Slant was not for me...

Overall: But for the packaging, these blades should score in the nineties. They have become my default blade, delivering excellent smooth and comfortable shaves every time.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)