What's new

Personna Medical Prep Blade

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
Well, I spent several years trying I don't know how many different types of blades. I daresay I've tried the majority of the current production. It was fun. Note on WAS.

I'll never try another type of blade again. I'll never USE another blade again. From the second stroke on the first shave, I knew this was something special>

Just finished the fifth very very close, irritation free shave with no signs to degradation of performance yet.

These blades are far and away the BEST I have ever tried, and I have tried most of them out there. And it isn't even CLOSE.

Can't believe it took me so much time (and money) to find my way here.

No more will I experiment. Research is complete
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: price
Cons: packaging
Incredibly sharp. I'd been using the labs because the price is so much more attractive but this is a super blade. I need a bit more technique time with it and I am not sure how durable they are, but after a few shaves they still perform well.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent blade
Cons: Packaging
I just got around to trying these, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I was out of Feathers, awaiting a new shipment, and found these languishing in a drawer. I've had 10 of these lying around for months, part of one of those "sampler packs" from some guy on eBay. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

Up until now I've been hooked on Feather blades, despite their cost. I've tried a lot of different blades, and nothing really did the job like a Feather. Even the blades that other people rave about just didn't get close enough and some left my face feeling like I'd gone over it with a belt sander. I don't know if it's my beard or my Merkur 47c that is so picky about blades.

The first shave with these Personna blades felt every bit as good as my old reliable Feathers. I think the Feathers are just slightly sharper, but if Feather is a "10", these are a "9+". Two passes, and my face felt as smooth as it did the day I entered this world. No nicks, no weepers, no irritation! After four shaves the edge was starting to go away, so I reloaded for the next round, and it was perfect once again. I can usually get three shaves out of a Feather before I have to reload, so these seem to have about the same longevity. At about $0.11 per blade in boxes of 100, and with free shipping, this is my new "go-to" everyday blade! I still love the Feathers, but at four times the price (or more) I'm going with these Personnas until they quit making them!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp and very kind to the face
Cons: Have to buy in packs of 100
Not quite as sharp as a Feather blade but give me no irritation, unlike the feathers; and gave five very good shaves with the sixth being a bit rough.

The packaging is very Eco friendly and the product is awesome.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and easy
Cons: none
I've been using the Meds for the past two years, in all types of DEs, from Futur to a 1948 Gillette Aristocrat and my two Webers. Whenever I've been a little too aggressive with other blades, next morning I use a Med for an easy BBS shave with no additional irritation. Always smooth shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharpness, Consistency, Longevity
I like that the paper sleeves don't leave residue on blade. I don't like that the stamp is usually smeared beyond recognition. The long life and sharpness of these blades cannot be overstated.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This is the second brand of blade I bought a 100-pack of. The 3 kinds of Personna blades I've tried have all given me amazing shaves, but there's something special about the Med Prep blades. They have never failed to give me a fantastically smooth shave with little to no razor burn. They just cut through anything with no problems. I usually use a Lord L6 razor, and for me, these blades are fantastic in that razor.
The packaging is quite clinical/sterile - a white box with some printing and 100 blades inside, each blade of course individually wrapped. I think that is ok. Compared to other DE blades it's not the cheapest brand, but I think it's worth the little extra cost. The longevity is great for these blades. For me they last at least 4 shaves, usually more. A box of 100 blades will last me ~2 years, maybe more.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: very sharp & comfortable blade
I had to try these after all of the positive reviews. So far (day4) they are living up to the hype. At .32 per blade, they seemed a tad high on the price, but compared to cartridge replacements, they are a steal!

Quality: is top notch

Sharpness: is very sharp

Longevity: I'm still determining this fact. I am on day 4 and the blade has not shown any signs of wear, yet.

Smoothness: is of course top notch, because of the sharpness. I figure any time that you have to stop and wonder IF you put the blade in the razor after the first couple of swipes, it has got to be sharp.

Packaging: nothing special here. Just 100 blades stacked neatly in the box.

All in all, if you haven't tried these, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot. Should you not like them, you won't have any trouble re-selling them to others.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Awesome blade
Cons: Non as of yet
Hey there.

I got these a while back and don't remeber what I paid for a box of 100. I've used them in my EJ89, R41 and 1904. it is a good blade in all razors.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, Quality, Country of manufacture (USA).
Cons: No real down side to report on this product.
Great blade for the price. Made in USA! Sharp, smoothe, long lasting (I get a week per blade). No real money wasted on fancy packaging. Shipped for free from US seller. At 12.99/100 with free shipping I can't complain much. Very happy with the results from these blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very sharp and smooth
Cons: $$$$$
I have been wet shaving for two months so I waited to review anything until after I had some experience under my belt and time to compare.

Price: It was the shipping that killed me. But if I use them for two shaves each it is only 0.25 per shave much cheaper than the five blade monster I was using.

Quality: Awesome, consistent, the sharpest I have experienced even more than feather's or Gillette 7 yellows and smooth.

Sharpness: Maybe I am new or maybe it is YMMV but these feel sharper to me than feather's or Gillette yellows.

Longevity: I toss my blades after two uses but out of curiosity I tried these a third time and they were fine.

Smoothness: I use this with MWF or Tabac very smooooth.

Packaging: Just crammed into one big cardboard box and individually wrapped. Very efficient but surprising giving the price.

The next time I return to the motherland (USA) I will need to pick another box. These blades are my favorite.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've tried about 20 different blades so far, and the shave I just had with this blade was the best yet. And yes all you feather fanatics, I have tried those, but didn't like them. My other favorites have been Derbys, Blue Birds, and Gillete 7 O'clock greens. I had the same experience as another poster where I didn't think the blade was cutting my whiskers, but they were definitely gone. I got a BBS shave in 2 passes, one WTG and one ATG. This is unheard of for me. It usually takes at least 4 passes in varying directions to get that good of a shave. I cannot recommend these enough. You can get them from West Coast Shaving for 17 bucks for 100, which granted is 10 more than Derby, but the blade is worth that in my humble opinion.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: sharpness &smoothness
My Razor of choice for this run was the Merkur 180. A very light, agile and easy shaver. Brush used was a Parker silvertip. Excellent loader and does face or bowl lather with excellent results. Soap was Razorock Boston Tea Artisan soap. After loading it with my Parker I transferred this to my ceramic cup and found the quality of lather to be excellent. Satisfied I did a very smooth first pass followed by three additional passes that are common. Wtg, xtg, and against the grain. Followed by touch up which resulted in a BBS shave. Throughout I felt the blade SLICING effortlessly and with the exception on the lower corner of my mouthnear the chin area the blade was unwavering. A true test of any blade for me is ATG under the nose. This blade as did the Polsilver left no weepers. An exceptional blade. Smooth and sharp. Longevity is not an issue with me as I am a two time user of most blades. In the past I've tried to take the Red Personna to three shaves but proved to be dull. We shall see about the Pols.Day two: Much the same as yesterday. Used TCHEON FUNG SING Bergamotto Neroli soap. A wonderful, wonderful soap. Highly recommend it. So I have to say say these blades are exceptional.Day three: Finally! A blade that lasted three uses. Lathered with TFS again and while these blades weren't as sharp as day one and even though it left me with a pin drop of a weeper on the corner of my mouth these do go out with grace. A full four pass shave with touch up that equates to fifteen to twenty minute shave each for an approximate total of one hour of shaving with one blade. Not bad. Truth be told that weeper may have been my doing by being to aggressive. All in all an phenomenal blade.I'd be remiss if I failed to add the following bonuses of this blade.No glue spotMade in the USARazor blades and more has these a $16-17 Per 100 count. 16 cents a blade!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent
My Go To Blade - The performance of this blade has been consistent in all the razors that i have and used. I have never got a bad one, and can expect fantastic results with longevity (7 shaves) per blade. Outstanding!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very smooth
WOW!! I come down my face and reach up and feel to see if I actually cut whiskers. They are that smooth. Price would be on the lower point except the lonevity make up for it and so one must factor in cost per blade divided by number of shaves. Here is shines! Each shave is smooth and clean and close. Cheapest, more expensive blade out there. And, YES they are made in U.S. Looking all over the world and the best is right here!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Are these the personas made in USA?
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Priceless
Cons: None that I can tell
Hadn't had a bad one in over a year. Can easily get 7 or more great shaves with one, the last as good as the first. What more can I say?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've been trying out a few different blades lately after using Astra SPs consistently for a few months.

I was looking for something sharp and smooth, and started to hear a bit on the board about Med Prep Personnas. I got intrigued ...

Well, I think Med Preps could be the Holy Grail of blades for me. I thought Astra SPs were awesome until I tried these puppies. Not only are the Med Preps smoother (for me) than Astras, but sharper too. I used to get a patch of irritated skin on my neck from ATG passes, but with the Med Preps there is no irritation at all. My face is smoother for longer during the day and I don't need to touch up as much.

So, they're smooth and sharp. So far, so good ...

What's next ... they seem to last ages, so I've given longevity a 10. I've been using the same blade now for 7 shaves in a row (each 2 passes) and it's still cutting hairs like a laser. No other blade I've tried has lasted this long without any sign of deterioration. Double thumbs up here.

I've marked them down slightly for packaging and cost. Let me explain. Packaging was only marked down because I kind of like being able to put a 5 pack into the bathroom and keep the rest in another cupboard. As they don't come in 5 packs, I can't do this. Lucky I've got an empty plastic Feather dispenser that I can just load up with Med Preps as I need them in the bathroom, so problem solved! I also like the fact that they use paper to wrap the blades (not plastic) which I can recycle. And I love the fact that there is no glue on the blades!

As to cost - they're just not as cheap as Astras, so they lost a mark here, but in the long run they'll work out to be great value because I get more shaves from each Personna.

A couple of other points:
- they're kind of hard to get here in Aus and postage can be steep from USA;
- I found the blade to be a bit rough on the first pass, so I think I'll hand strop the next blade before I use it for the first time.

All in all a fantastic blade (for me and my Muhle R89)!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
After dissapointment with Red IP's I decided to try these which Pinedale was kind enough to mail me. All I can say is wow, major difference between the two, these blades are the perfect balance between being smooth and sharp, they cut my tough beard with ease. Personna USA should be very proud of this high quality blade and I hope they continue to make it for years to come as they will be a part of my blade rotation. I did knock a few points off for price and longevity but these are a all around great blade. I highly recommend these blades... :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are a fantastic blade. Out of all the blades I have tried they seem to be the smoothest blades I have tried combined with a high level of sharpness. I wouldn't rate them to be quite as sharp as Feathers but Feather sharpness is almost an extreme and can irritate my skin if I use them daily. Feathers also are not forgiving if you get hasty. I don't have either problem with these blades.

On the first pass, I have found they can have a slight bit of drag, but I have very coarse hairs. This is also worth dealing with because any subsequent passes are so smooth and forgiving that you can almost do anything with this blade. Thus far, this has been the only blade I can pull off an upward (mostly ATG pass) with and not end up with a million nicks and a ton of ingrown hairs (I do get a few from time to time).

I chose not to rate blade longevity because that (out of all the ratings) is the most subjective. Everyone's face and hair is different and some people like to stretch blades and others do not. Personally, I have been using them for 4 shaves and then tossing them. I have not tried 5, and don't believe that much of a stretch is necessary, they are not that expensive.

I like that they are packaged loosely in a box. I don't need a bunch of little plastic dispensers for every blade brand. Those take up too much room. I snagged an empty plastic case from another brand and put in 4 or 5 at a time to keep in the medicine cabinet. The large box stows away nicely (basically my box of 250 loose Blues is about the same size as a box of 100 derby's in the plastic cases).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)