What's new

Personna DE Blades (USA)

I've been using my various Personna blades (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Dollar General, and Fred's) a lot lately. I've found that they all are a little rough on the first shave or two, but so are my Feathers. The Personnas smooth out nicely by the 2d or 3rd shave and give me just as many good shaves as any other blade I've used, except for injectors which go longer than DE blades).
I tried really hard not to like them after my first experiences with them but, as my technique has improved, I've found them to be very good blades.
I don't even feel them when I use them in my Merkur Slant. I have sensitive skin and they just glide through the stubble with no resistance.
What more could want? Maybe a cheaper price or a box of 100. That's about all.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I found these blades at WalMart and have shaved twice with them and find these blades to cut very smoothly. They feel like Wilkinson Swords to me. Smooth, no irritation Method Shave, resulting in BBS after three passes. My wife likes em too! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I am happy shaving with these Made in USA blades in my 1955 Gillette Super Speed, my packaging looks like this.

proxy.php
I agree 100%,after 1 shave...forget it
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Decided to try some of these. For at $1.76@ Wally World i figure wth. I figured id end up tearing my face up but i got a rather nice shave. i just new when i did my upper lip id be in for it since thats my sensitive spot as to judge any/all blades that touch my face. I couldnt believe how smooth it felt. My upper lip was all nice and smooth. I cant believe it took me a year to buy these. Now i know if im waiting on a shipment of blades and need some i can run down to Wally World and grab a pack. YMMV.
Someone wrote that the Russian Gillette's were rusty old beer cans. If that's true these are rustier, older, and dull beer cans. I would rather shave with a DULL butter knife no an old rusty dull butter knife that was found in a barnyard then use these. These blade don't cut hair they pull it out at the roots (never to grow again). I have bald spots on my face because of these. I tied them for the same reason as everyone else; cheap, available. Gentlemen please use the fore mentioned butter knife then these monsters.
I got some at the local 99 Cents Only store (99 cents!), and tried them out 2 days ago.

My general impression is that they're passable for a single-pass, 6 a.m. workaday shave, but not the right blades for trying for a really good one.

They do pull hairs more than the other blades I've used, and don't seem to cut as smoothly as the Feathers, and not nearly so close.

On the other hand, this translates into a less meticulous shave on my part, and paradoxically, less irritation. (not so close of a shave = less burn/irritation)

All in all, I think they're a decent value for 20 cents each, but I believe I'll be sticking with Feathers or the yellow-box Russian Gillette 7 o'clocks.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Overall very good shave, I am glad I picked them up at Wal-mart and gave them a try. No pain, no pulling, no nicks, no razor burn, all good so far in my Edwin Jagger.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Less than $2. Readily available. Close comfortable shave. Great packaging. Why are others ahving so many problems with this blade? Recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I bought these razor blades at the local Rexall pharmacy in Toronto. I had no other choice since my order from West Coast was on the way to Canada, I thought it's probably a bad idea to buy these blades that are sold under the Rexall brand.aI paid $5 for a psck of 5 and I was pretty pissed but whatever... Loaded my 57' SS and started to shave... First impression was interesting, I didn't feel the blade going over my skin, but the whiskers were completely gone. I continued shaving and after 15 min I got a really good shave, and I was quite surprised. Zero irritation, no nicks, cuts or bleeding. A few days after my package from West Coast arrived, I tossed the Personna (Rexall) and loaded my SS with a Derby blade.... Ohh boy, it didn't feel good at all, I got heavy irritation, nicks cuts and it was so painful to shave. Two days after I tried to use the Derby with the Slim and it was fine using the lower numbers but 5-6 felt wrong, the results were poor.
Bottom line: My experience with Personna was great ! They are not sharp like other bladed but they get the job done in a great way, although I don't have thick whiskers, my beard isn't an easy task. so who says that sharper is better ? :001_huh:
If you can get it for cheap in places like Walmart, I say grab it !
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I can get one decent shave from these blades. Not great, but in a pinch it will do. If I try two shaves, my face is hamburger - at least with my Murkur classic open comb.

The container for the blades is okay, but I like my blades to be individually wrapped (which these are not) as I believe that makes them more stable in humid environments to avoid corrosion.

The container says, "Push button down dispense in direction of arrows," but my blades in the one package I purchased actually have ink blobs instead of arrows - a problem I assume happened in the manufacturing process. Not a big deal, but not 100% good quality control.

I would only purchase these again if I am traveling or just need a blade in a hurry. I would still encourage everyone to try these to see if they work for you.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Picked these up at a drugstore in Canada under a different name. After some research I found out that they are in fact American Personna's. They came in a 5 pack for 2.50 plus taxes, I find that a bit overpriced but I said what the heck, I'll try them. They aren't terrible but when you can get better brands at the same price, I would only get these if your desperate. They gave me a smooth and comfortable shave WTG on my cheeks and under the nose. However when I got to my chin and neck there was noticable tugging and skipping which led to razor burn afterwards and because of that I didn't dare go ATG. The first two shaves were good, the third was ok and the fourth was pushing it. I would only reccommend two shaves with the blade and then toss it, I doubt I'll ever use these blades again.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Like others with the "some love 'em, some hate 'em" reviews here, I decided to go ahead and give them a try as my first batch of blades.
And wow, these can mess with your head. They *can* give you an awesome shave - I've gotten a BBS shave without a single nick.
The down side however, is that using these blades is sort of like playing Russian Roulette - I've had blades be dull straight out of the package, and a blade that gives you a BBS shave on use #1 can start tearing into your face partway into shave #2.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here. I just recently, like weeks ago switched from multi-blade to DE razor shaving. To tell you the truth it is one of the best things I have done in my life so far. My first shave was with DE, but somehow I fell into the trap of multi-blade shaving down the years. But again DE has been proved, OLD is GOLD.

Also, I recently bought these Personnas from Walmart. I was using Merkur DEs so far and ran out of them when I decided to give the personnas the try. So far I have been satisfied. I didn't find a difference in the shave when compared to merkur. Next I am going to try the 7 o Clock. But coming to the point.

Like everyone I agree that they come in the best dispensers. But, what should I do to the blades those are used just once? I use my blades for at least three shaves. There is room for fully used blades in the back of the dispenser. But how do I (or) where do I store the blade after my first shave?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Fine blades. Inexpensive and readily available, they come in the best dispenser. I can't vouch for their longevity because I can get away with using many blades until they no longer shave.

I would not pay extra for the more expensive 5-pack variety, because clearly at that price there are better blades.
I would have to say that I like the Walmart Personna better! I was so excited to get my sampler from WCS yesterday in the mail and broke open the Feather and was expecting Nirvana. What did I get? Bleh. It gave me no better shave than my Personna blade and in fact not as good around the neck and under the jawline. Even with three passes, WTG, ATG and XTG I got no better shave than the Personna and in fact more razor burn without bearing down on the blade. My setup includes a Gillette SS 1951 W4 black-tip and I lather an AOS pure Badger Brush with a dollop of KMF Peaches and Cream over VDH soap and include a pre-shave lavender oil from AOS and I utilzie the AOS Lavender balm afterwards.

I find the Personnas to be a great value offering close comfortable shaves and the dispenser and built-in bank are a big plus. Don't get me wrong the Feathers are nice but I fail to see what the big hoopla is about them at least as far as my face is concerned. The only downside I see to the Personnas is that every now and then you will get a bad blade and I don't find that they last long for me anyway but at about .17 a blade how can you go wrong? I look forward to trying the other blades out in the WCS sampler pack but the Feathers as compared to the Personnas, for me, are a letdown. :confused:
These are the first (and only) brand of blades I have used, and while I haven't been disappointed, I also haven't been overly impressed, either. Seeing as I have no other DE blades for comparison, a Gillette Fusion razor is my only frame of reference. I'm able to get closer shaves, albeit with the same level of irritation and weepers as with the much more expensive cartridge razor. That being said, these things start off sharp and give three decent shaves, but after that point, feel like a rusty butter knife. Compared to the Fusion blades, they don't seem quite as sharp, but at $1.76 a pack, I've just resolved to toss 'em after two or three shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
I have used these blades in a 1982 SS and they were ok, - not great and I prefer using a Feather, or recently the yellow 7 O'clocks. I bought a 1960 Fatboy about a month ago and I was blown away by the Fatboy using the F's and the 7 O's. For the hell of it,a few of nights ago I dropped in an Amer. Personna from a pack that was maybe two years old and it was unbelievably smooth and close; not nearly a nick I thought I had a freak blade so the next night I dropped in another and it was just as good....I repeated this again ... and again great results. Odd for me to say, but these may be just as good as a Feather when used in a Fatboy (for me anyway). I guess I could have gotten 3 freak blades, but I hope not because these are dirt cheap.

Note that I really don't know about the longevity since I replaced them after one shave, but I only use a blade 3 times before discarding and they have lasted that long in my SS in the past. Also, I would rate this blade as mediocre, but usable in my SS.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These blades can be found in a variety of brand packaging at most US drug stores. I've found them at WalMart, Target and HEB. For me, they are just mediocre, not horrible in a pinch but well below the Merkur and much below the top notch blades. They are rough and not all that close shaving in my experience. I've been using a Fat Boy adjustable at settings 3, 5 and 7.:frown:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Although they are not super smooth, they do deliver a good shave with my Merkur classic. They are awful in other razors though.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)