What's new

Permasharp Super

Pros: Overall performance
Cons: Packaging
This review is for the Russian version only.

A little on the expensive side, but well worth it for an outstanding performer- smooth. sharp and comfortable. Without question, the best blade I've used. Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Been religiously trying all the "top" blades in my assortment of razors (EJ89, Futur Chrome, Merkur 38c and Feather) and can report this blade is the most consistent performer. Reasonably priced (abt $26 shipped to US) and a smooth, generally non-irritating shave. Best combo for me for BBS is the Futur, most comfortable the EJ89. excellent blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
most of the above comments are for the russian perma-sharp,the original review is for the now defunct turkish perma-sharp...I have not tried either one,so if you have a pack to trade,I have lots of trade worthy items..
View attachment 151862

My review is of the blade pictured above, manufactured in St. Petersburg, Russia and marketed in Turkey.

I long-ago settled on the Iridium as my blade of choice. Though I have an ample supply for a couple of lifetimes in stock, the Iridium's recent disappearance aroused my curiousity as to whether a suitable replacement might be available. I tried most of the St. Petersburg blades, as well as many others, and the Perma Sharp Super came in as the clear winner.

Price - very reasonable for such a superb blade. Available from Turkish vendor Bestshave for around $25/100 shipped.

Quality - None better.

Sharpness - Think Swede/Super Iridium. Runs with the big boys.

Longevity - I'm a daily full face and head shaver, and get seven days of superb shaves. Equal to my experience with the Swede, though the Iridium seems to last a bit longer.

Smoothness - The blade this most reminds me of is the Light Brigade Wilkinson. It seems to melt whiskers like butter, with absolutely no tugging sensation.

Packaging - Yes, it has the St. Pete wax to stabilize the blades, but I much prefer individually-wrapped blades such as these to vintage sliding dispensers.

In sum, with the demise of the Super Iridium, I find this to be easily the best currently-manufactured blade available. For you Swede-lovers, you should give the Perma-Sharps a try as well. You may be amazed.

Get them while you can!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I really like these blades. I get a good honest shave out of them. It handles the neck area much better than Feathers or Timors.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price: It is an expensive blade than Derby, costs about $16 (100 blades-20 card-boxes). But it is worth for BBS shaving.

Quality: They are made by the same company which is made Gillette 7o'clock. Russian blades (inc. Swede) are best performers in their league.

Sharpness: I am shaving with Gillette Tech no nicks or weepers but when I am using Slim or Fatboy at 7 they show their sharpness.

Longevity: I have no beard like Amazon Forest, but they give 7 shaves with no pull.

Smoothness: Well, they are intended to give you a smooth shave if you really want. It is all up to your shaving style and aggressiveness.

Package: "BEWARE the plastic box". You choose cardbox version which is made by P&G(Gillette)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've only been wet shaving for about 3 months now, and I've tried a varied assortment of different blades: Feather, Dorko, Blue Bird, Personna Reds, Medical Prep Personnas, Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdges, Derby. Wil Dorenbos was kind enough to PIF me a box of Blue Birds and Perma-Sharps, and - despite initial growing pains with them - I think I've found my default blade.

The first shave with a Perma-Sharp, I loaded the blade into my Fat Boy and left it dialed at 9, as that was the setting I used for every other blade I tried beforehand. Big mistake. Certainly earning the "sharp" in "Perma-Sharp," the blade sliced open the left corner of my mouth, leaving the worst gash I've ever inflicted in 16 years of shaving. I also opened myself up pretty good by the shelf of my jaw.

The second time around, I was wise enough to dial the Fat Boy down to a 6. What resulted was easily the first BBS shave I've ever had with zero irritation. I've been using them in my Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable and Super Speed ever since with minor or no problems.

PRICE: 10. At www.bestshave.net, you can purchase a 5-pack (in the cardboard box) for $1. Considering the quality of these blades, I would happily buy 100 packs for that price if I could.

QUALITY: 10. Excellent quality. I haven't shaved with a single bad blade yet.

SHARPNESS: 9. As I learned from the first shave with a Perma-Sharp, these puppies really are sharp. Not quite as sharp as the mighty Feather, but it's so close that most won't notice the difference.

LONGEVITY: 10. I may not have the thickest beard, especially on my cheeks. But the hair under my jaw and around my neck is so rough and thick that many blades have fallen in battle after one or two shaves. With Perma-Sharps, I can get 5-6 good shaves out of a single blade; one blade I pushed 8 times before I discarded it. By comparison, I get 4 good shaves from a Medical Personna and 3 from a Feather and Personna Red. All the others were 2 or less...even the Gillette Yellows.

Or let me put it to you this way: I'm only on the third blade of this pack and I started using them over a month ago. The current blade has been used 6 times, and I shave either every day or every other day. For me, these blades are like Terminators.

SMOOTHNESS OF SHAVE: 9. Rarely will these things irritate me, and when they do, it's nothing that my alum block won't quickly alleviate.

PACKAGING: 9. Nothing wrong with the cardboard packaging, but I knocked it down a point because the glue spots annoy me.

I highly recommend these blades for anyone who hasn't tried them yet. There are still a few blades left to try on my list - like Iridiums and Wilkinson Sword Premium Plus blades - but Perma-Sharp has quickly become my own personal "King of Blades."
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
This blade is a superb blade, made in Russia, for the Turkish market. Lately, I have tried 2 blades in my Muhle R89 razor, for the past 3 weeks. Yes, 3 weeks! I shave once every other day, but still this blade is great in term of longevity! And that's not all!
As a baseline, I have tried the following blades in the Muhle R89:
Feather, Iridium, Gillette Bleue extra, Gillette yellow pack, Astra.
So, let's jump in.

Price This blade is on the pricey side. You can get a pack of 5 blades for 2.25 Euros. It is a bit expensive, but still very much worth spending that on a premium blade!

Quality Superb Quality! Stainless steel blade made in Russia(yes glue spots..I know what you're thinking). A great quality blade all around

Sharpness A very nice and sharp blade. It is very similar to the Iridium Super blade, but it doesn't need a break in period. So you have a great experience from shave number 1! Not as sharp as a Feather, but sharp enough to give a close shave. You can shave with great confidence with this blade. I didn't get any pulling or anything, even at shave # 6! I was amazed by that!

Longevity Very good longevity. I got great 6 great shaves from it. The last shave caused a light burn, so I changed the blade. Great longevity here, though. The same as the Iridium blade.

Smoothness of Shave The shaves are really smooth. I just loved the experience. Perfect.

Packaging A minus due to the glue spots. Despite that it's a nice blade. Double wrapped, 5 blades / pack. No plastic, eco-friendly

This blade has become my new favorite. I was very much amazed by it. It has a perfect balance of sharpness, smootness and longevity.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
In my Golf this is a solid performer, sharp and smooth. No burn. Pity they cost me about the same as a Feather. Worth a try!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I found these blades extremely smooth. providing a close neat shave. Used with an Edwin Jagger D89L and any soap or cream that came in the rotation. The Permasharps were always consistent.
I changed the blade after 5 days and regeretted not using it an extra day.:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are high quality blades made in St. Petersburg for the turkish market for Procter & Gamble. There may also be some NOS blades out there, that are made in Turkey and seem to shave a littlebit different then.

My review is for the P & G Perma-Sharp made in russia.

I use them in my slant. The shave is always smooth and the blades are sharp, it feels a littlebit like there is no blade in the razor when shaving.

I changed the blade after seven days. Maybe I could get more shaves from one blade, I didn't try it yet.

The blades are double-wrapped and come in a simple cardbox, but there are also Perma-Sharp blades available, that come in plastic dispensers.

After I tried these I made a second order to fill up my stash with them. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Yes, I have found these at a Turkish store here in N.J. and they are most sharp, best blade I have seen as of yet. A real sleeper.
proxy.php

I received a five pack of these from Melyus, and finished my third shave paired with a British aluminum tech and The Body Shop shave cream. All three shaves were smooth and left no irritation - though shave three did feel like it was time to change blades. This is typical for me, and I won't hold it against this blade. This one is definitely a quality blade and belongs at the top of any list of current production blades.
I received these in addition to 100 Sharks that I ordered from Melyus. Awesome blade.

Price - $0.30 a blade for 5 shaves. Not bad, not great (9)
Quality - Solid performers, among the best (10)
Sharpness - Not Feather sharp, but very sharp (9)
Longevity - 5 shaves, good (8)
Smoothness - I have not found a smoother blade (10)
Packaging - Standard setup (10)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Derby is better for the nearly same price.:w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
This is a Turkish made blade and is considered the premier blade in Turkey.
They are sharp like a Swede or an English made Wilkinson but very reasonably priced if you can find them. In terms of a shave they are nice and smooth and are actually very close to the Swede's in overall performance, just not quite as smooth but there is not much in it. I have a very coarse beard and will only use the sharper blades and these are great for me. To put them into context I find Derby's dull and ineffective and these are a significant step up.
They come in two types of packaging, the plastic boxes shown which are the same as Derby boxes and also the little cardboard boxes like the Gillette 7 o'clocks ( which I prefer for environmental reasons ).
If you are mourning the loss of Swede's then I suggest you give these a try, they are an excellent substitute.

(Edit) I have been reliably informed that these blades are now owned by P&G and produced in St Petersburg Russia. I can also tell you that they are on a par, if not better than Swede's and I never thought I would say that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)