What's new

Penhaligon's Castile

Castile is based on the famous Castile soap, or so I've read.

In having that soapiness, I would say it succeeds. I've tried to like Castile, and I don't want to disparage this fragrance because at first I did like it, very much in fact because it struck me as being very different, woody/floral and fresh.

It's not that I completely dislike it now, but my opinion on subsequent wearings has dimmed. Since it's from a sample I can't comment on packaging, atomizer, etc. The longevity is decent. The quality is average (but you won't find this on the bottom of any drugstore shelves, that's for sure), and the scent leaves a lot to be desired.

At the risk of sounding like a Basenoter here, I have to say, the whole thing just smells a bit . . . synthetic. But eh, whatever. It's not awful, and if you know someone who is into English stuff and you happen to visit Penhaligon's on a business trip detour, this might make a good gift to bring home.

Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
This is a decent neroli with ample woods, citrus, and flowers. However, it is just decent. Castile certainly is the best of Penhaligons newest scents, but I prefer Floris Special no. 127 for this genre because it has more powder and better subtlety. To me, Castile smells the same from start to finish.
I had to give Castile another chance, as well. I dismissed it at first, to me it smelled too light and citrusy. However, I've given this fragrance a few more chances and it is now one one of my favorite rose heavy (rose light?) frags. I don't know why I dismissed it as being simple at first, the complexity is awesome despite the few notes. It is not "loud" whatsoever, but this scent has a very nice characteristic of having good sillage while at the same time remaining subtle. Lasts pretty much all day with decent application. A must try for any rose lover.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
After working with Castile for a couple of weeks, it's become one of the most delightful scents I know. (Not that I'm an expert, certainly!)

Neroli and rose dominate. And the scent is definitely sweet at times. For me this is a scent that should be applied in small amounts and used very subtly. Too much is too feminine. But I gain a lot of confidence as I'm reminded through the day that I have this very rich scent so near to me.

And it's almost like a reward for any others who get close enough to notice it.

As far as I'm concerned, BB almost slaps those around me in the face. This scent lets them know that they're among a privileged few.

On me it lasts, albeit subtly, all day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
This is one of my favorite Penhaligon's scents. Obviously, it's hard for me because I love Opus 1870, Endymion, Racquets Formula, Quercus, Violetta, and Elisabethan Rose... but Castile hops right up there in the #2 spot behind Opus 1870.

They describe the scent as evoking the "dusky sensuality of Mediterranean nights." I don't know how to relate it to the Mediterranean, but I can say that it evokes the "humid, floral musk of Southern nights." No joke, the scent of the neroli mixed with roses and other flowers brings to mind sitting out on the porch on a summer night in July, still over 90 degrees outside, crickets and bullfrogs choiring, and the scent of the big mimosa tree we had in the backyard of my mom's house. Usually in July, the air is still as can be and the heat is oppressive, but occasionally a faint breeze would blow and Castile smells just like that breeze.

It's floral, it's light, and I think it is still masculine in spite of this. I'd say I think Castile smells more masculine than Hammam Bouquet does. And while Hammam as a floral kicks you in the teeth, Castile is more like a gentle touch on the cheek.

The problem is that with that gentleness comes an absolutely disappointing staying power on my skin. I get 2 hours, tops. So it's like those lovely thoughts you have when you're laying in bed and you're half awake/half asleep. Wonderful, exciting, and amazing... and gone in a flash.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
While this scent had its share of citrus notes, it was too flowery and smelled like a tulip or something along those lines. That's the first thing that struck me. The second was to wash it off. The topnotes are offensively flowery calming down to a more sensible slight powdery with the citrus notes coming out. Definitely not for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Penhaligon's Notes
Head Notes
Neroli and Petitgrain

Heart Notes
Bergamot, Orange Blossom and Rose

Base Notes
Precious Woods and Musk

Castile is a very modern scent that reminds me of many of the offerings available from newer fragrance manufacturers. The musk is overpowered by flowery and citrus notes. I found that this fragrance did not have much staying power.

I did not comment on the atomiser as I was using the 1.5ML sample vial and not the atomised product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)