What's new

Pears Soap

This is a good soap but it does depend on what you're using it for. I personally would not use it as a bath soap as it is very drying. BUT, I found it extremely useful for cleaning up my hands after dirty activities such as shining my shoes. Normally with any regular soap there is always shoe polish stubbornly left on my hands no matter how hard I try to get rid of it. Not with Pears. A good, short scrub with Pears got rid of it all every single time. So I value this soap highly for this reason. It's only too bad that I don't know of any place I can get it locally since I don't live in CA anymore. :mad3:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Bought that soap a few weeks from an English shop here in Luxembourg.
Not expensive at all but I didn't like it very much : my skin was so dry with that soap and I didn't enjoy thes scent very much.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
I keep a bar of this around. It is a decent soap, not super moisturizing but not overly drying either. I think the best part is the price- at dollar stores it is ubiquitous and inexpensive. I have to admit though sometimes I prefer Dove for being very moisturizing. If you have to wash your hands alot or scrub hard, Pears isn't the best choice as it will eventually dry out your skin.
For a 3-pack at $2.49, this stuff is a steal.

I tried using it as a shave soap, it lathers OK, but it just doesnt blow up with lather like some of the dedicated shave soaps. It doesnt dry me out, but I do find I need to moisturize after using it. The scent is great, spicy.

A very worthwhile buy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
I have used Pears for decades and I can say that it is one of those products that I always have on hand. It is all natural, feels silky, and has a subtle spicy smell derived from rosemary and thyme that is stimulating to the skin and senses.

I have not used it for shaving, but I do wash my hair, face and body with it. I have dry skin, especially in the cool months, and I find it moisturizing. It has a wonderful heft to it, especially when new, and I actually use the concave sides to grip as well as to press in the remains of the preceding bar.

It cleans effectively without drying the skin and it produces suds that are not overbearing.

This is a special soap. After all, anything with natural rosin in it has got to be special.
I use Pears as my at-the-kitchen-sink soap. It is very mild on the skin and smells decent, not IYF, which is a good thing when you wash your hands often like I do. For me it's really not a good shower soap though: very drying, esp. on my face. Generally, I prefer 3-milled, but this is a nice classic soap nevertheless.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Pears Soap has been around since 1789, and is known in its native England as well as in the US. – How much can you write about soap? Well, here goes:

Price: You can get a pack of three bars for $3, and each bar will last for ages. Hard to beat for value.

Quality: Though purists might complain that this soap is no longer manufactured in England, but in India, quality has not suffered: It is made with largely natural ingredients, and no scarily polysyllabic chemicals. – Matured for several months, apparently; perhaps to ensure that amber transparency? – I have heard people object to the shape of the bars, but the point of those concave sides is that you can work the leftovers of a nearly spent bar into them, thus giving further value for money. And in that respect, too, a charming touch of old-fashionedness.

Latherability: The inside of the packaging available until three or four years ago reproduced old advertisements which praised Pears' suitability for shaving. I've tried it, and it wasn't great, but this soap does work up a good lather for all bath/shower/washing purposes.

Moisturizing: Not a great moisturizer, but it dries out skin far less than other soaps do. Use with a loofah to exfoliate gently.

Scent: Discreet herbal/spicy note, will not clash with anything you may wish to apply subsequently, but will leave a reassuring sense of cleanliness.

Efficacy: Leaves you feeling thoroughly cleaned. What more could you ask for?

Packaging: It comes in a box. All you need.

– All in all, I've been tempted to change or rotate every other product I've ever used, but having found Pears Soap, I'm sticking with it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)