What's new

Pashana; greatgrandfather of barbershop scent

Item Description

I don't get this; a classic around for a very long time and nobody ever reviewed the stuff! Well, let me try.

Last week I had (just by accident) a very British week; got myself a Vulfix brush (not tried yet; shame on me), a Vulfix soap (and I seem to be the only one on B&B; shame on you!) and the Pashana AS.

Technically Vulfix is from the Isle of Man and therefore not British I think but I need to dig into that so when you feel insulted; mea culpa!!

Price is very reasonable; at 12 euro it is nor cheap neither expensive and overall quality is simply good.

As an alcohol based aftershave it does what any decent splash will do; when you have done the job right it will give you a warm and pleasant glow and sooth everything that was not 100%. When you made a mess out of things it will tell you; loud and clear. Nothing special here, just good.

This stuff is about scent; it is strong, but never overpowering or brutal, and it is a longstayer. So much that you could see it maybe more as an EdT than as just another AS. Don't be mistaken; once you put this on you won't get rid of it soon!

How to describe the scent? I've read about patchouly and other ingredients but for me it is opening a fresh tin of dark sweet pipe tobacco in an autumn forest with a little Indian shop nearby. I hope this makes any sense but to me this is the greatgrandfather of barbershop smells; powdery and antique but also very very good.

I guess this AS has a love or hate factor to it; I can imagine hard-core lovers for this AS since it is around for a very long time.
But this is so outspoken that there have to be hard-core haters as well!

Do you like old school/barbershop scents? Do you like Tabac AS or Shulton Old Spice?

Well, Pashana is different but give it a try !

Latest reviews

Pros: Classic AS, glass bottle.
Cons: Overpowering scent, it burns, burns, burns...
I finished by bottle so time to review. I've been using this one on a daily basis from start to finish. The scent isn't too bad. It's some kind of woodsy old school aftershave. It doesn't sound too bad so far but where it got me is the oily feeling that this AS left me with.

I felt like there were too many essential oils in this AS to make it good. The scent was very strong, so strong I ended up putting some Witch Hazel unscented in it.

Again, it's something that might be a preference but I got some alcohol burn (quite a bit) with this one.

I would not recommend the product based on what I mentioned up here.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Unique Scent.
Cons: Strong Burn.
I would describe this after shave as the kind of thing the Gents on the Titanic would have been wearing as the ship went down. It's not of this day and age and thats why I like it.The burn is really strong but it soon soothes the skin down to a powdery finish. I am no good at describing scents but it is quite different to anything else and lasts all day.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have recently developed an interest in trying different "barbershop" fragranced shaving products after trying Pinaud Clubman. I read some posts about Pashana, mentioning its classic barbershop scent and the longevity of it. So, I decided to give it a try. Here is the ingredient list:

denatured alcohol, aqua, parfum, benzyl benzoate, benzyl cinnamate, citral, citronellol, coumarin, eugenol, geraniol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxycitronellol, limonene, linalool, alpha - isomethyl ionone, oakmoss extract, cervolide, propylene glycol, Cl 147000, Cl 19140, Cl 42090.

The scent is quite strong out of the gate. I first noticed what smelled like a blend of baby powder and baby oil. I was glad when this began to fade. The next scent I noticed is hard to describe, but unfortunately to my nose was sort of like urine. Of course your olfactory mileage may vary.

This product is not mentholated so there is no cooling sensation other than the quick evaporation of the alcohol component.

It has some mild moisturizing effect presumably from the propylene glycol.

The alcohol burn is brief and tolerable to me.

Bottom line: I don't think I can tolerate the scent, so I may try to trade it on BST
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
talibeard
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
0.89 star(s) 9 ratings

More in Aftershaves (Reviews)

More from talibeard

• Smart (S625)
    I scored a couple of these when visiting Budapest a few months back and...
  • Vulfix 2189 boar travel brush
    I think this is the brush that ends my search for the perfect...
  • Lm68
    I scored a pair of these (NOS) for 7,50 (euro) including shipment. I...
  • Lord L111
    Got this one as a freebee from Paul Kox ( www.barbershopclassics.nl )...
  • SOUPLEX razor blades
    A german quality blade that deserves to be much more popular than it...
Top Bottom