What's new

Parker Variant

Great, affordable, and easy to use adjustable razor capable of doing just about all of it.
One of my favorite adjustables
Pros: Great weight and grip
Cons: None anymore
I purchased the initial release of the black handled razor and the finish began flaking. Super Safety Razors backed up their sale with great service and we swapped my flaky razor for a newer finish, a lighter gray this time. I enjoyed the Merkur Progress, but this corrects what Merkur got wrong. The adjustment knob does not loosen, the overall weight is nice and the handle is very grippy
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: 🪒
• Solid feel / Good heft
• Good Blade Feel
• Adjustable
• 3 Color Options
Cons: 🪒
◦ Inconsistent start point
◦ Head cap tolerance can be improved
◦ Cleaning
My very first safety razor that converted me from cartridges; and what I consciously and unconsciously compare all my other razors with. I enjoy the blade feel, enabling me to navigate by touch. This allows me to get to tight spots like under my nose despite not having the lowest profile. I'll normally just hover on the lower numbers (1-4). Despite the aggressive feel, it shaves very smoothly.

On the other hand, the start point can vary. Without the blade, it should start at '+'. However, I have instances it starts behind or beyond that point. Yes, I do make sure that the cap marking is aligned with the baseplate marking. When adjusting the knob, I do have instances when the cap very slightly rotates to the direction of the knob. Thankfully, the blade reveal is still pretty equal on both sides and the cap is still relatively straight. Not sure if this is due to the post holes wearing or needs tighter tolerances. Finally, like most adjustables, it is harder to thoroughly clean compared to regular 2-piece open-bottom and 3-piece razors. I usually just pour some rubbing alcohol down the handle, shake and release.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)

Attachments

• ParkerVARGR.jpg
    ParkerVARGR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • ParkerVARGR1.jpg
    ParkerVARGR1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 75
  • ParkerVARGR2.jpg
    ParkerVARGR2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 74
Pros: Solid heavy feel. Very efficient shaver. As good a razor and a shaver as the Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Adjustable. Numbers on the dial are large.
Cons: I wish the numbers would be colored. They then would be more easily seen without my reading glasses.
This razor is made in India, was introduced in 2016, and I've used it for several months. It is a pleasant surprise. It is very efficient and it handles my tough beard well at a setting of 3.5 on the dial, which has a range from a setting of 1 to 5. The dial is at the bottom of the handle, similar to a Merkur Progress or an Apollo Mikron adjustable razor. I prefer the dial at the end of the handle, as there is less possibility of coming into contact with soapy water or hard water. It is well engineered and has a high quality and solid construction. The cost is low, as I paid only $57 dollars for it new. As a quality and effective shaving instrument the Parker Variant is in the same club as is the renowned Merkur Futur, the Merkur Progress, and the Merkur Vision 2000, but at a small fraction of the cost. It offers an outstanding grip and balance in the hand. It has no hole at the end of the long handle, and that reduces the possibility of the interior and moving parts getting "gunked up" with soap residue or mineral deposits from hard water. It has a utilitarian appearance, yes, but paradoxically the shave is refined and sophisticated. I own 8 adjustable double edged safety razors. I've never had an adjustable razor that I didn't love, and I've never loved an adjustable razor more than the Parker Variant. I recommend the Parker Variant to all without reservation. It gives a shaving experience that is low cost, solid, and very smooth!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great balance
Quality of shave
Cons: For my type of facial hair, a bit more aggressiveness would be better
I'm a big fan of another brand - Merkur, but once my son bought Parker I gave it a try and changed my mind.
Great balance, which would be perfect for wet shaving beginners.
The handle is very comfortable. The price is good too.
The only downside for me is the aggressiveness.
I've read the reviews here, on some forums, and some more sites and decided to switch to Parker 45R.
Really love it. So my recommendation - definitely worth a try.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustable
Good weight/balance
Cons: None so far
I recently got into DE shaving eight months ago. I received the Parker Variant as a Christmas gift to get my new, DE shaving experience going. So far, I am pleased with the razor's performance. I've paired it with Shark Super Chrome & Astra Platinum blades and both combinations have not disappointed. I've experimented with different levels of aggressiveness and found that 3.5 suits me well. I'd recommend this razor to anyone.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)