Parker Variant

Average User Rating:
5/5,
  • For a while I had been using a Viking Chieftain, and I was struggling to get a comfortable shave out of it. I had been eyeballing an adjustable razor for quite sometime, and I particularly liked the ones that can be adjusted on the fly without changing heads. That left me with not a lot of options, but I was looking primarily at the Mekur Futur and the Parker Variant. I had heard great things about both, but ultimately went with the Parker Variant mostly due to the lower price tag and the great reviews it had gotten. I have been using it for close to a month now and it has yet to fail me. I'm using Feather blades and there was a bit of a learning curve with it as it seemed a bit more aggressive even set at "1" than what I was used to, but once I got a handle on it I was more than impressed.

This thing has quickly become my favorite. The weight put me off a bit as I had never used such a heavy razor, but the initial impression wasn't bad it was just different. I did find that for some reason the heft made it feel a bit more premium to me for some reason. I also found that the weight made it easier to allow the razor to glide. I have found my favorite setting to be somewhere between 2 and 3. That is probably a bit aggressive, but I enjoy it. All in all it's hands down the best shaving experience I have had. My only concern is how to keep it clean, but that's nothing a little bit of care and elbow grease can't handle. IMG_20180414_010916.jpg

Recent User Reviews

1. santamariasteve
    5/5,
    "Parker Variant adjustable razor"
    Pros - Solid heavy feel. Very efficient shaver. As good a razor and a shaver as the Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, and Super Adjustable. Numbers on the dial are large.
    Cons - I wish the numbers would be colored. They then would be more easily seen without my reading glasses.
    This razor is made in India, was introduced in 2016, and I've used it for several months. It is a pleasant surprise. It is very efficient and it handles my tough beard well at a setting of 3.5 on the dial, which has a range from a setting of 1 to 5. The dial is at the bottom of the handle, similar to a Merkur Progress or an Apollo Mikron adjustable razor. I prefer the dial at the end of the handle, as there is less possibility of coming into contact with soapy water or hard water. It is well engineered and has a high quality and solid construction. The cost is low, as I paid only $57 dollars for it new. As a quality and effective shaving instrument the Parker Variant is in the same club as is the renowned Merkur Futur, the Merkur Progress, and the Merkur Vision 2000, but at a small fraction of the cost. It offers an outstanding grip and balance in the hand. It has no hole at the end of the long handle, and that reduces the possibility of the interior and moving parts getting "gunked up" with soap residue or mineral deposits from hard water. It has a utilitarian appearance, yes, but paradoxically the shave is refined and sophisticated. I own 8 adjustable double edged safety razors. I've never had an adjustable razor that I didn't love, and I've never loved an adjustable razor more than the Parker Variant. I recommend the Parker Variant to all without reservation. It gives a shaving experience that is low cost, solid, and very smooth!
    Grip:
    5/5,
    Price:
    5/5,
    Balance:
    5/5,
    Quality:
    5/5,
    Adjustability:
    5/5,
    User Friendly:
    5/5,
    Aggressiveness:
    4/5,
    Ease of Blade Replacement:
    4/5,
  2. Jerry7
    5/5,
    "Perfect razor for beginners"
    Pros - Great balance
    Quality of shave
    Cons - For my type of facial hair, a bit more aggressiveness would be better
    I'm a big fan of another brand - Merkur, but once my son bought Parker I gave it a try and changed my mind.
    Great balance, which would be perfect for wet shaving beginners.
    The handle is very comfortable. The price is good too.
    The only downside for me is the aggressiveness.
    I've read the reviews here, on some forums, and some more sites and decided to switch to Parker 45R.
    Really love it. So my recommendation - definitely worth a try.
    Grip:
    5/5,
    Price:
    5/5,
    Balance:
    5/5,
    Quality:
    5/5,
    Adjustability:
    4/5,
    User Friendly:
    5/5,
    Aggressiveness:
    4/5,
    Ease of Blade Replacement:
    4/5,
  3. KC_Boss
    5/5,
    "Parker Variant"
    Pros - Adjustable
    Good weight/balance
    Cons - None so far
    I recently got into DE shaving eight months ago. I received the Parker Variant as a Christmas gift to get my new, DE shaving experience going. So far, I am pleased with the razor's performance. I've paired it with Shark Super Chrome & Astra Platinum blades and both combinations have not disappointed. I've experimented with different levels of aggressiveness and found that 3.5 suits me well. I'd recommend this razor to anyone.
    Grip:
    5/5,
    Price:
    5/5,
    Balance:
    5/5,
    Quality:
    5/5,
    Adjustability:
    5/5,
    User Friendly:
    5/5,