What's new

Parker SR2, SR1, SRW, and SRB Straight Razor DE

Item Description

I recently purchased the Parker SR2 Straight Razor for $16. I don't have straight razor experience, but I was impressed enough with this razor to write this review. Prior to this purchase I had bought a cheap generic $7 DE Straight razor off ebay with fold metal to hold the blade. I was not impressed with the generic.

The Parker SR2 has a nice weight to it and feels well balanced. The blade holding mechanics are solid and hold the blade in the proper alignment. The color is all chrome even though it appears brownish is the picture.

I am able to get close to BBS shaves on the first pass and BBS on the second. I currently only use the Parker SR2 on my cheeks and neck. I am new to the straight razor experience (2 weeks) and the chin area is my achilles heel.

All in all...
I feel the Parker SR2 is a great buy.
It looks good and has a good balance.
Its shaves great.
Its easy to maintain.
I would recommend it to other newbies who want a little practice with a DE straight razor.

Granted I might be comparing a moped to a motorcycle in this review.
And judging from the straight razors videos on youtube... either I'm being overly careful or those guys are good... or the technics are different. The motions seem to be very similar.

I will be using the Parker SR2 to practice my straight razor motion technics.
And I believe it will help me decide whether to go full ahead and get the $200+ straight razor setup. Ok, Ok, I really want a straight razor, but I don't want all the hassle of honing, stropping, etc.

Ps. I forgot to add that I'm using Feather Blades. They allow me to focus on technic without using pressure to keep the blade on the skin. I've found that the cheaper blades will work, but I'm afraid of applying too much pressure and cutting myself. And if you use too little pressure with the cheaper blades they tend to start walking or skipping.

I also use a little more of a watery cream to prevent the razor from getting suction stuck on the face.

I really love the smooth shave and can't stop feel my cheeks. But that probably just the Feather blades talking.

Latest reviews

Pros: Inexpensive, holds blades tight. Great shave.
Cons: Very light.
A well made shavette. Blades lock in tight. There is a circular bulge near the blade that gives support to an upstroke pass.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
Pros: build quality, price
Cons: I can't get comfortable with it
This a a very well designed and finished product and well worth the money. Being steel/stainless, its advisable to add some oil to the blade holder area to provide extra protection and continuous smooth operation. The product had a good weight to it.

I personally cannot get comfortable with this shavette. My hand doesn't seem to fit it. The thumb grip is too fussy and has no grip features like rubber (as per Dovo) or jimps. As a result, I am cannot get the ease of control handling this.

Also, despite being very comfortable with the Dovo shavette with feather blades working for me, I cannot get the same comfortable efficient shave with the Parker. The tricky areas also become more tedious for me.

Its a great buy and a product that's built to last. If its works for you great, if not, you only loose what you paid to to buy it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
2.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Affordable, customizable,well made
Cons: light
First and foremost I see alot of other reviews calling this a straight razor.... it is not.. .what it is, is a Parker version of a shavette or a disposable blade quasi straight. The big difference is in the weight of the scales as well as balance. Ok now that that's out of the way this SR1 is AWESOME !!! for $22 and he right blade for your beard you can easily get a BBS shave hands down as easily as with a real straight razor or a DE. The SR1 is constructed of stainless steel so no rust issues there. It takes 1/2 a De blade and I find the shark super platinum works well for me. What took me a bit to get the hang of was the weight of the SR1 as it is very light and the scales don't offer a great weight to "carry" it along. Even with the light weight think of it more like a DE razor a let the natural albeit lighter weight of the blade remove the facial hair. I find taking very small strokes and being very attentive to the angle of the blade will give you at least 80% reduction on your first pass. how many other passes you do after that is a personal choice but I can tell you from expierence you can go 3 passes and get a BBS shave with no irritation if done correctly. A lot of straight shavers frown on shavettes but not for nothing I guarantee I can get as good of results with my shavette at $22 as a Dovo at over $200. I highly recommend the Parker SR1. BTW I gave ease of sharpening and lasting edge a 10 because you can change out your 1/2 blade whenever it gets dull.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)