What's new

Parker 91R Razor

Price - best among all the DE razors currently for sale

Quality - was 7 due to the fact I bought two , one for the travel bag . One was perfect --- one the blade sat in with one edge more exposed than the other ( does not seem to affect the shave however ) but still not very good fit and finish. I have heard that Parker is working on the fit and finish and it is better these days .

User friendly - I had no problems with it

Grip - was the best of any razor I have ever used to date

Ease of Blade Replacement - easy enough for me

Aggressiveness - this razor shines in this department. It gives close shaves. My favorite razor so far .

Adjustable - n/a

Balance - very nice balance
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I'm not going to grade this razor because the one I had was defective. There is probably a rotten apple in every bunch. I tried four blades (two each from different manufacturers) and only two of them reached my face.

Since I was new to DE shaving I blamed myself for the shortcomings rather than the razor. Finally I described my problem to one of the vendors represented on this forum and he was able to tell me it was defective. He also mentioned that he planned to stop carrying this model. A Merkur was recommended as my next razor and I have not had any problems since.

Based on my experience I tend to recommend what works best for me.
For my first review, it seems appropriate for the subject to be my first DE razor, the Parker 91R.

Price: This razor is inexpensive at most online sources and is a fair value for the dollar spent.

Quality: The plating on my sample is excellent and all the pieces fit together smoothly. The manufacturing quality is pretty good, but I rated it an eight because if you don't assemble the razor and blade exactly right, the blade will be misaligned. It takes some fiddling to get the blade, cap, and safety bar aligned properly. Whether this is a manufacturing defect or just the nature of this design, I can't say.

User Friendly: I like three-piece razors because of their simplicity and robust design. It's easy to clean and durable. Overall the 91R meets these criteria, but I had to dock a couple of points for the blade replacement issue I'll discuss in more detail below.

Grip: Excellent. The checkered handle and flat knob at the end allow very positive control of the razor at all angles and with all grips, wet or dry.

Ease of Blade Replacement: I took major points off of blade replacement for this razor because of the alignment issue I mentioned above which makes replacing the blade far more fiddly than it should be. I also would rather see a bar on the cap where the blade sits than just the two pins because I think it would hold the blade in place more securely while you screw the pieces back together.

Aggressiveness: I'm never really sure how the one to ten scale works for aggressiveness; for my purposes, I assume that one means the razor is not aggressive at all and ten means that the razor is a meat slicer in disguise. The 91R is a very aggressive razor with a sizable gap between the blade and the safety bar. If you aren't careful, it's very easy to nick yourself. However, careful shaving is rewarded with a very close shave. You also need to pay attention to lathering and razor technique because you can really irritate your face with a full four-pass shave; with my technique somewhere past the "fumbling newbie" stage, I can get a DFS every time with three passes.

Adjustability: Not applicable because this is not an adjustable razor.

Balance: Excellent. The razor is weighty without feeling awkward or top- or bottom-heavy. The weight is well-distributed and the razor is easy to control.

Overall: I've been fairly harsh on the shortcomings of this razor but overall I do like it because it can provide you with an extremely close shave. I'm not sure if the faults of this razor are by design or result from manufacturing defects in my particular razor. Either way, inspect this razor in person before you buy it if you can. I recommend this razor for someone who has prior experience with wetshaving and is looking for a bargain; persons new to wetshaving should consider a different razor unless they have steady hands and are willing to bring a laser focus to every shave while they learn.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
D
I have bought 3 Parker 91R's over one years time.

On all three the handles were consistant. Minor brass spots on a new razor and the bottom knob piece looks to be put on bent.

The head piece is where you get your difference. The first one I had the head piece was cut well and even and a good shave.

The second one was cut even but further back causing the blade to sit less aggressive. At least it was even blade exposure and gap but a completely different razor than the first.

The third one, it was impossible to create even blade exposure. Half way thru tightening it the blade would make a crunch sound. At this point it was impossible to adjust the blade and 10 out of 10 times it was off when reaching full tightness. This razor I threw in the trash.

Price Not good considering you may have to buy 3 to get a non defect one.

Quality Not good considering you may have to buy 3 to get a non defect one.

User Friendly Not good considering you may have to buy 3 to get a non defect one.

Grip Very good nice classic grip

Ease of Blade Replacement Normal 3 piece tech style assembly which doesn't bother me unless you get one that is impossible to tighten down with the correct blade exposure making it impossible to replace a blade

Aggressiveness Varies on each one you buy. Roll the dice you might win.

Adjustability N/A

Balance Very good
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
D
glassmtn99;893610 said:
I purchased a new 91R for $18 delivered. The price was very good. The one I received had some problems, and I never shaved with it. That is why I have no ratings in balance and aggressiveness. I would rate Adjustability on a non-adjustable razor as N/A, but that was not an option.

My review is based on my perception of the quality of the specific razor I received, and not on the way it shaves as I never shaved with it. I returned the razor after looking at the very large blade gap difference from one side of the razor compared to the other. I would estimate that one side of the razor had about twice the blade gap as the other side. And on one side the gap was noticeably different from left to right. That is why I rated the quality as a 1, and that is also why I returned it. I bought it on ebay and explained the problems to the seller. I asked the seller if he could find one without these problems. He had about five in stock, and when he put a blade in them he said they all had these problems. He returned my money and sent me a Gillette Tech at no cost for my trouble.
Why did you even post a review on a razor that you didn't even shave with. You are a joke and should be put on probation from further threatening the quality of this site.
Let me start by saying that I'm relatively new to classic shaving.

I bought this razor about a month ago after reading the great reviews on Amazon. I don't really agree with the reviews that deride the razor as overly aggressive. I'm a complete noob to this shaving style, and I didn't cut myself once with the Parker 91r. I watched the ever popular mantic59 YouTube videos, and was extremely careful shaving from day one.

Moving on, the price was about $25 from Amazon. It was delivered in pretty poor packaging, and mine came with some 7 a.m. platinum blades.

The quality of the razor seems nice. No real flaws to be found there. I will say that after handling my newer razor, the Merkur 38c, the head of the Parker 91r doesn't feel very heavy at all. If I grip both full fisted, they feel about the same overall weight. However, if I grip it with my shave grip (near the base of the handle to allow the head to hang loosely) the Parker feels lighter, leading me to believe that the head isn't as heavy as that of the Merkur, (I think this results in a subpar shave compared to the Merkur, which is why I deducted some points from the balance).

I don't understand what folks are saying about the "4mm" gap that causes the aggressiveness. The side view of the Merkur and Parker from my perspective shows a gap between the safety plate that is similar.

It's a 3-piece razor, so it's not as user friendly as others, you just have to be a little careful when changing blades.

I used this for a month or so, then got the Merkur. I don't think this is the worst safety out there, but it's also not the best. For whatever reason, maybe the additional head weight, I'm not sure, I get a far better shave out of the Merkur. I will say the Parker still was an eye-opening experience, and didn't deter me from thinking that classic shaving was the way I wanted to go. For 10 bones more you can do better.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Price
Cant really beat the price, got the razor for about $20 bucks.

Quality
Quality is what you'd expect for a $20 razor. The craftsmanship is not the best, but for the most part its ok and looks good.

User Friendly
This rating is up to lots of opinions, but the razor works/functions fine and blade replacement is like any other 3 piece razor.

Grip
The texture of the grip makes it play well while shaving, and resists slipping when your hands are wet.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a 3 piece razor. Just have to be careful handling the blades.

Aggressiveness
This sucker is very aggressive. I have been shaving with DE razors for several months, and wanted to try a new razor I could travel with. Mistake, gives me razor burn all the time. Dont have issues with the other razors I use. I also have very sensitive skin, so this razor is not for me.

Adjustability
Speaks for itself, not adjustable

Balance
Almost the perfect weight, slightly lighter than the Merkur 38C I have. Its balance is actually very good, and so is the extra length as well.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my first DE razor - I have used it for a couple months. I wondered why I seemed to have so much trouble getting a close shave without killing my skin. Yesterday evening, I used a Merkur with a small blade gap, and the difference was night and day. Same technique, much closer and more comfortable with a lot less blood and irritation.

The blade gap on the Parker 91R is a killer. If you are just starting out, try something else first.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
When I read some of these reviews I expected the worst. What was I to receive? When my package arrived it became clear that apparently I was lucky: no especially huge blade gap compared to my Gillette Knack and not really uneven across the width. I feel the head isn't exactly 90' from the handle, but like said, its a comparatively cheap razor.

I put a Derby Extra in, warm wet towel, lather, and put it to the test, expecting the bloody cheese slicer experience I as a relative newbie was to have.

Nothing of the sort, it was a very pleasant shave, and the aggression made it very close, but no irritation or snips. It was comfortable and I got courageous on that first shave with the Parker, and there was nothing to regret.

When I loaded the Parker 91R with what I regard as inferior blades, the razor's aggression showed more of its negative sides.

I'm still learning technique, but loaded with a Derby Extra and with controlled attentive shaving the Parker 91R definitely has its merit.

YMMV but to me its a fine razor that didnt live up to some of the scary reviews here - as long as it has a Derby Extra in.
This was the razor I picked to move into the word of DE wetshaving. It's very nice looking, heavy, and doesn't slip.

I bled like a stuck pig for the first week! I should have read more B&B posts. However, I cleaned up my technique very quickly, and now I get regular BBS without cuts or irritation. I started off with the included 7am blades but I just started my through a sample pack from West Coast Shaving.

Maybe it is a little bit aggressive for the beginner, but then again, I am now left was a razor I really like.

I'm sure the blade replacement could be improved, but it's a 3 piece, so I suppose you know what to expect when you buy it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love this razor! Granted, I made the upgrade from a cheaper, shorter, lighter butterfly razor to this one, with no dissappointments. Its length, heft, grip and solid feel add to its manueverability and balance. I don't mind that it disassembles into three pieces. If anything, I like how well a blade sits in place once it's exchanged and how this disassembly allows for an easy cleaning. I've had nothing but excellent shaves with the 91R. I use Wilkinson blades and Col. Conk Bay Rum, with no complaints. As with any DE, just go light with your strokes and keep your face/blade/brush hydrated. All in all, an excellent razor!:thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
i am new to DE shaving and i got this razor. I guess I cant compare it to anything. But i dont have any problems with this. first shave was rough, but that is more attributed to my crap technique. the better i got, the better my shaves became, i use proraso cream and 7am blades. i dont know anything about the 7am blades, but i look forward to loading up a derby extra into this razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Careful: Extremely aggressive! That almost 4mm gap is not a joke. This is not for beginners or anyone even remotely timid. It is a bazooka, when loaded with Feathers: You can easily shave your face off with a single pass. That said, I really like it because I have some serious overnight stubble and this weapon just blasts it off. I would be astonished if you cannot get a BBS shave with no more than three passes. Or you will bleed yourself to death...
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I started wet shaving w/ a DE two weeks ago (12/2008) and probably hadn't discovered or read quite enough prior to making my first purchase or two to get started. This was my first razor and I was a little too impressed with Amazon's customer ratings, I think. It seems the experience here at B&B trumps my fellow Amazonians, which only makes sense since there is much more specialization on shaving here. Anyway, I was transitioning from a Gillette Fusion manual w/ Edge gel to a DE and got this 91 thinking it was likely a very good knockoff of a long-handled Merkur for less money. My transition wasn't terribly difficult owing to wonderful videos by Mantic59 found on Youtube (thanks, dude !), but I've decided I didn't make the best choice of a tool. My verdict: the latest posts here at B&B are correct: this is an overly aggressive tool principally because of the large blade/bar gap. One had better be paying attention to what one is doing when piloting the 91. The second knock I have is the blade changing procedure which puts fingers too close in harm's way. Unless I was doing this the wrong way, it appears one has to pinch the sides of the head while unscrewing the base. The protruding ends of the blade are in very close proximity to fingertips and a slip could be very damaging. The rest of the razor's attributes I found entirely acceptable. What sealed my opinion is that tonight I shaved for the first time with my new Merkur 38c. Much smoother! This is going on a bit, so I'll bring this to an end. But a quick thank you to the members and moderators of this forum for all the very helpful advice and one of the most positive environments I've ever seen online - some of the photo forums I follow have a lot more blood letting than this shaving forum !
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I purchased a new 91R for $18 delivered. The price was very good. The one I received had some problems, and I never shaved with it. That is why I have no ratings in balance and aggressiveness. I would rate Adjustability on a non-adjustable razor as N/A, but that was not an option.

My review is based on my perception of the quality of the specific razor I received, and not on the way it shaves as I never shaved with it. I returned the razor after looking at the very large blade gap difference from one side of the razor compared to the other. I would estimate that one side of the razor had about twice the blade gap as the other side. And on one side the gap was noticeably different from left to right. That is why I rated the quality as a 1, and that is also why I returned it. I bought it on ebay and explained the problems to the seller. I asked the seller if he could find one without these problems. He had about five in stock, and when he put a blade in them he said they all had these problems. He returned my money and sent me a Gillette Tech at no cost for my trouble.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I find this razor to be perfect for me. I had used an 89r previously and just started with the 91r. The heads are the same, just differently finished handles.

This is not your father's Tech, it is aggressive but I like that. Don't let that large blade exposure scare you, it's easier to use than it looks. Just be attentive as we should be with any double edge razor. I do 2 passes, a little touch-up and I'm BBS (most days).

And it is heavy but feels good in my hand and the grip is marvelous even with wet/soapy hands.

I find the quality to be as good or better than any other new razors being produced today. Everything fits properly, it locks down tight and has no rough edges.

The 3 piece design is well proven and replacing the blade is no problem at all for me. It is not adjustable but if you want adjustability, this is not the razor for you. I did take that into account in marking the scores.

Overall I don't think there is any better aggressive, new 3 piece razor out there at this time. In all things shaving YMMV
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Agreed on most points of the review.

Don't expect anything too shiny. This is a tank of a razor. What it lacks in a few grams of weight compared to a 38C, it makes up for in Aggressiveness. Yes, that's with a capital A.

The blade gap is not a QC issue. It is just the way it is supposed to be. To mow down anything in its path.

By far, the most aggressive DE razor I have ever used. I would say it is more aggressive than the Merkur Slant Barber Pole due to the fact that the Slant has 2 sides where the blade gap is narrower. This one is just wide open all around.

The angle on this razor needs special care and attention. I have never hurt myself with this razor before, but respect must be given. This is not something you can run down your face in a hurry. If you have frequent breakouts on your skin, this razor will chop them off clean.

They really should have made this a 2 piece design, so I do not understand why. Extreme care is required when changing the blade as the way its designed. The exposed sides can put a good slice on your thumb or forefinger.

Overall, an EXCELLENT razor for the experienced DE user. I have used a Feather in this razor, and I have had extremely good shaves with it even though I don't have nearly the kind of experience some other gentlemen here have. This razor usually gives a DFS in 1 pass, and BBS in 2 passes, with a Derby or Red IP blade in it.

I have given this as a gift to a few beginners, and have not heard of any major injury or mishap as of yet, and no complaints so far. So if you have never shaved with a DE, and start off with this, you'll be fine because it's all you'll have ever used. But if you have used a Merkur, and move up to this, make sure you get your basics figured out first.

Price: At $20-25, its an impressive hunk of metal.

User Friendliness: I gave it a 5 due to blade change issues I experienced in the beginning.

Adjustability: I gave it a Zero because it is non-adjustable.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Ok, this review is hard for me to write. Why? Because the Razor has two faces:

It's shaving performance in terms of aggressiveness is superb. The Handle is nice and heavy and Balance is good. What's not to like? Well, the aggessiveness comes at a price and the three piece design is, in my eyes, a lost cause for blade replacement and user friendliness.

Let's begin with the Price. I got this razor for under $20 shipped to my door. I can't complain about this. A cheap razor.

Quality wise, the 91R is fairly average. It's fairly hefty, but not too heavy. I would say it's somewhere in between a Gillette Super adjustable and a 38C in terms of weight, so it's not flimsy by a long shot. The heft of the razor has a non slipping grid in the metal and is easy to hold, even with soapy hands.

The blade replacement is mostly the downfall of the rating for this razor. It has an antiquated 3 piece design and blade replacement could really be easier, especially since Parker already makes other razors with 2 piece and butterfly door design. The decision to put a 3 piece in this one is simply beyond me....a clear minus in my book!

Now we come to the aggressiveness of this razor. I can easily say that, when i first unpacked the razor and put a blade in, i wasn't sure if i should let this on my face. The bladegap is bigger than on my Gillette Super adjustable on the "9" setting. I don't know if this is due to inconsistent quality control or if this razor is just built like that, but it's a scary sight. The bladegap is not just a visible indicator for the aggressiveness of this monster, but the moment you put the razor to your face, it's appearant that this isn't a kid's toy. Carefully run it down your skin if you don't want to have a visit to your local hospital. The slightest amount of pressure makes this razor slice you up like Christian Bale in "American Psycho". This is not a beginners tool and should only be used with a huge amount of respect and maybe a forgiving blade to begin with. The level of aggressiveness will certainly appeal to some people but some will stay away from this razor because of it. With good reason!

As for adjustability...it's not and that's why i rated it a "5".

The Balance of this razor seems fine. Not flimsy but also not too heavy and it balances just right.

Overall this razor will be pulled out only once in a while for me and certainly will never see a feather blade in it due to my fear of too much blood loss with this combo. If i want a particularly close shave in as few passes as possible, i would consider using my 91R for it. But only very very carefully....

I made a discussion thread if you would like to talk about this model here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68258
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)