What's new

Parker 65R

Pros: Striking design, heavy, 4 inch long textured handle.
Cons: see other reviews
Price: I ordered the 65r through Wish4Blades on Amazon.ca for $32.95 Canadian. Excellent price considering I didn't pay tax or shipping charges and the dealer sent 20 Shark blades along. Quality: I know other, older reviews, mention quality issues but I can't find a flaw and I've been looking. The plating looks good, no flaws, not tarnished or anything like that. The blade gap is even on both sides and it tightens nicely. User Friendly: The 65r is a three piece design with a 4" handle. Friendly enough. Grip: The textured handle feels great in the hand and doesn't seem likely to slip from my grasp while shaving. Ease of Blade Replacement: It is what it is: three piece design. I have use of all my fingers and find the blade replacement easy. Aggressiveness: BIG blade gap. It was a lot more aggressive then what I had read in other reviews, perhaps Parker changed the design of the head? I would say it is as aggressive as my G Bar, maybe a little more, with plenty of audio feedback as slices off whiskers. Balance: The handle on this razor is long and heavy, excellent in the hand. I ordered this razor for the looks but overall I really like the Parker 65r and look forward to finding the perfect blade for it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
The Parker 65R was the first DE razor that I owned. I bought it from Classic Shaving Co. where it wasn't even listed as a Parker. Not that the brand would have meant anything to me in any case. I had been wet shaving using a Vulfix brush, various TOBS shaving creams and a Gillette Fusion for a long while. This was before I had found B&B and I had no idea what qualities to look for in a razor. I decided on the 65R solely on the basis of price and looks. At $32.99 it was one of the least expensive razors sold by Classic Shaving. Since I didn't know if a DE razor was for me, I wanted to keep the entry cost low. I also thought it the best looking of the razors for sale at the site. At first, the shaves were a little rough but after several weeks, I found that I was getting closer and less irritating shaves than I ever had with the Fusion. Eventually, I found B&B while searching for reviews of razor blades and creams. It wasn't long after finding this site that I was bitten by the RAD bug. I purchased a lot of four razors and found that I preferred vintage Gillette razors to my shiny new Parker. I found the smaller razors more maneuverable and liked the ease of blade replacement with the TTO. Furthermore, I would often read members' opinions of Parker razors where they were often derided as "garbage" with poor quality control. I went at least six months without touching the Parker. This was partly due to the negative comments and partly to the fact that I was still acquiring more razors to try. Several months ago, I decided to place the Parker back into my rotation. At this point, I am much more qualified to opine on the pros ans cons of this razor. I am past the early stage where every new product I try is "the greatest ever" and experienced enough to judge for myself whether or not it is a "steaming pile of garbage". Overall, it is a relatively inexpensive, good looking razor that is built to good but not great standards. In experienced hands, it will give a smooth and close shave. For those new to DE shaving, I would recommend either a Gillette Superspeed or Tech over the 65R. They can be had for a third to half the price and are much less likely to draw blood. I think that with either of the Gillette razors, those new to DE shaving would be more likely to stick with it. Who do I see as the ideal consumer for the 65R? Those with a large collection looking for a good looking razor to add to it. Also, new DE shavers who are opposed to using vintage razors. As to my ratings.

Price: At $32.99, it is priced below most new DE razors. However, the are many excellent vintage razors that can be found for less. 7

Quality:
Although not enough to make a noticeable difference in the shave, the blade gap isn't as even as on any of my vintage Gillettes. 6

User Friendly:
I personally find shorter razors easier to use. However, fans of longer razors will like this just fine. 8

Grip:
The pattern on the handle, along with being attractive, makes it easy to keep hold of. 9

Ease of Blade Replacement:
Not as easy as with TTO razors. 8

Aggressiveness:
Has a bigger blade gap than most, but the curve of the blade, once the head is tightened down, keeps it from being overly aggressive. 7

Balance:
Again, I prefer shorter handles but, being fairly long and heavy, it's easy to let the weight of the razor be all the pressure that needs applied: 8
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The materials used in the manufacture of these Parker razors sems fine, it's just the precision of the workmanship and quality control that seems to go astray. I bought a Japanese feather razor recently made of stainless steel and plastic. On the face of it no match for the Parkers, but the thing about the Japanese stuff, is that they ALWAYS make them to fine tolerances and the fit and finish is always bang on. Perhaps it is a reflection of the differences in the societies from which the repective razors emanate from?
Im new here but not new to DE razors. I dont really post on any of the boards but saw a review for the Parker 65R here and had to add my opinions.
My beard is somewhere between light and average but I have a VERY sensitive neck. I could shave my face with a chainsaw with no worries but my neck is another matter. I have been searching for a non adjustable that falls somewhere between the Merkur classics and the vintage Gillette tech or Weishi in aggressiveness. This Parker razor could have been it but they blew it. I love the handle in length, design and feel and the overall weight and balance of this Razor. The Razor has a nice finish although one can predict that it probably wont hold up as well as the best out there. But the price isnt among those shavers either.
The issue with this razor is one of overall quality (atleast in my sample) and my ratings reflect this. My Razors center stud and pins are not exactly centered. This leaves a little bit more blade exposure on one side versus the other. One side shaves Weishi mild and the other side is close to but not quite Merkur classic in aggressiveness. This could be seen as a "positive" error I guess as you have two razors in one in a non adjustable. On the other hand, I dont believe that one should have to worry about what side of the razor they are using when shaving so I see it as a QC and overall quality in manufacturing issue. Had my 65R been machined so that the blade exposure was even on both sides, this would have been THE razor I was looking for. As it is, it is too mild on the less blade exposure side and just a hair too aggressive for my very sensitive neck on the other side, although, with extra attention paid to technique and knowing what side I was shaving with, I can and have gotten a BBS with it without razor burn using the aggressive side.
Had this been a well manufactured sample, and Im assuming that some are, it would have been the perfect razor for me and I would have given it very high marks. Issue aside, I think this would be a good DE to look into for someone new to DE shaving or with very sensitive skin like myself ... IF they get a good sample. In fact, Im tempted to purchase another just to see if my off centered sample is in the minority.
I dont hold out much hope on receiving more input from others as to whether they have seen the same thing with their 65's or if they have a well made, blade centered sample, but if anyone has one of these, please chime in. Regardless, it may be worth the 22 dollars to see if I can get a "good" one.
This is my first and only Parker purchase BTW so I am only commenting on my limited experience with the brand and the particular razor that I received.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Your original comments was the razor is more black/grey. Are you sure you have this razor or is it the 91R. The 65R is brown/chrome and also has a new head.
Very pretty, heavy razor. Great grip. I've tried it 4 times now, and I find it to be not nearly as aggressive as I need. For me it requires a great deal of blade buffing and numerous passes, and I still can't get a close shave. I've used it with Feathers and Derbys. The Derbys actually performed better for me in this razor.

I think it would be a good starter razor for someone with a light beard.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)