What's new

Parker 22R

My 2nd DE (1st is the 38C), first shave w/ the Parker this morn.

This is a long-handled razor, longer than 38C, but not quite as heavy. Still, it has a good feel in the hand and I do like the machining on the handle, which provides a sure grip.

I'm not a fan of the gunmetal finish to be honest, and it kind of has the look of a chromed plastic. The metal is obviously not a high quality stainless but something cheaper (magnesium?) with the finish "baked on." I could kind of tell that even from the pictures, but I bought it to be my travel razor, so for that as well as for the price, it'll work.

Having said that, it seems to align and lock down the blade securely *if* you twist it down very tightly. The head itself seems to be ever so slightly out of line with the handle, making the shaving angle on one edge a little different from the other edge. I didn't try both edges today, but I'm thinking this might turn out to be a good thing - one edge could turn out to be a bit more aggressive. Could just be that QC is not that high and this was the one I got. YMMV. Like I said, if it's there it is *very* slight.

On to the shaving - I LIKED IT! It is a more aggressive razor than the 38C, so I am glad to have the variety in the ol' dopp kit. It did seem to produce a bit more irritation, so I will have to experiment with the whole blade & soap or cream combo, but I got a very smooth shave in 3 passes. I used the same brand of blade I have been using in the 38C, and it seemed that you could hear every little hair as it got cut off with a "ting!"

For 25 bucks, I'm happy, and I'm now actually looking forward to taking this little friend along on some trips. Mine came packaged in a little vinyl covered cardboard case with a snap, so it's already ready to go. Heck I can even see myself pulling this one out on the weekend at home every so often. I would recommend it.:thumbup1:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I was in a shop today looking at the range of Parker and Merkur razors available. I must say the Merkurs looked and felt a lot better made than the Parkers. They seemed to have a cheap flimsy feel to them, in complete contrast to my Gillette superspeed, which is of a similar design, but even better made and finished than the Merkurs I own.
Cheers,
Martin
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
this was my first de also used it for a month or so no complaints at all I should revisit it havent used it in 6 months or so I is a very good razor imo
This was the first DE I ever owned so there is a certain imbalance to my frame of reference. Having said that I have had this razor for two or three years, use it every day and have never had a bit of trouble with it ever.

If I had not come here and found out about other things I would probably have happily gone on using the 22R and never have even thought about it.

It is sturdy, tough, damn fine looking and has excellent mechanics. I would unhesitatingly recommend it.

This is a large handled, thick, fairly heavy razor. It has been a godsend to me and I can say it is a perfect razor for any pumpkin-headed 285+ pounders with big-ol hands out there..
I got this razor a couple of weeks ago. The metal finish is a "gun metal" style coating. I don't know if it will wear off easily or not. My first impression was that it was not well made. The doors would not close evenly and when I put a blade in it, I could hear the blade buckle when I tightened the doors. The handle had a spiral machining to help prevent slipping. The machining was rough and the finish poor. The weight was pretty good for it's size. The razor appears to be made from somewhat thin stamped metal. Overall one of the worse made razors I have purchased. However, it seems to perform well when used. This is what I buy the razor for, not for it's looks. Mine seems a little more aggressive than say a Welshi razor. However, the Welshi razor is a very nicely made razor in comparison. For the money, I feel it is not that good of a buy. The Welshi is a much better made and better looking razor
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This DE is the best one anyone can find. I can shave with it, and not even feel the slightest burn, irritation or discomfort. Perfect for a beginner, or somebody who's tender-skinned or nervous as I am.

Jeff
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price: Pricing is exellent on this one. I got mine from SSLstudios/René here at B&B.

Quality: Feels well built. Its no Merkur but compared to some other low-price razors this one is nice. No gaps or bent pieces. It aligns the blade as it should.

User Friendly: Yes. Its a good razor.

Grip: As all non-knurled metal razors it can be a bit slippery when wet, but the twists on the handle makes it quite grip-able.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Very easy, as it is a TTO there are no problems here. The turning part of the handle is very large so its very easy to operate without any dangers of slipping.

Aggressiveness: Fairly aggressive. The low weight invites to added pressure and the razor itself has a "medium" blade exposure.

Balance: The only not-so-good thing about this razor is balance, since its made of light metal its handle-heavy and quite off in balance. This also invites to added pressure from user. It demands more guidance then a well balanced razor.

To sum it all up: This is a descent shaver, it needs a little more thought on No-Pressure!! than eg the HD but gives good shaves. Using the razor is just as good as any. The biggest plus is price and looks (Way Cool !!) and the drawback comes from the light weight and fairly aggressive head.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)