What's new

Parker (2010 Model) 99R (TTO) Razor Reveiw

Pros: Quality and cost
Cons: None found so far
This is a replacement to my Merkur vision 2000. The Merkur butterfly assembly snapped off and I have yet to get a replacement part. So far I am impressed with this razor. I like it a lot and the shave that I can get it very smooth. I was surprised when I read that this is an agressive razor. Three years after using a Merkur, I guess this one feels less aggressive. It does a wonderful job. the design is simple enough to last longer than an ultra complicated Merkur. I stopped using Derby blades in my Merkur because they were too harsh. In this shaver, they are great. I think that the less complicated mechanism allows the blade to be seated better and more evenly.
This is not an adjustable razor, but I think the gap is just right. On my Merkur, I stuck with one setting for 90% of the time. The smooth finish feels odd to me. after using a powder coated or brushed finish for a while, this finish seems odd. I am not used to a smooth polished finish.

Overall I like this razor a lot.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I chose the 2010 model Parker 99R to review for several reasons. My first DE razor was a Parker 91R that I found serviceable, but only used for a month. It was soon replaced with Merkurs and Gillettes, and has sat in the back of my drawer for over a year. Recently, I heard about the quality improvements in the Parker line, and the aggressiveness of the 99R. So I thought I would give it a try. I am a fan of aggressive razors and use them exclusively. I wondered how this new model would stack up.

My first impression of the razor was that it was handsome and well-balanced with an outstanding handle and grip. I loaded it with a new Astra SP blade, which is a favorite that I am familiar with. I have used the razor with Astra blades exclusively for the past three weeks. This review is my impression to date:

Price: The cost of this razor (under $30) and the great shaves it gives should make it attractive to budget-conscious shavers at all levels of experience. However, higher-quality razor are available for just a few dollars more and may have better long-term value. I gave it an "8" because while it is a bargain, better made razors are only a couple of dollars more.

Quality: The overall manufacturing quality is good, but not as good as vintage Gillettes or new EJs in the same price range. The quality shows in the details. The exposed edges of the safety bar, which are neatly machined with hair guides on quality razors, are cheaply imitated by embossing on the Parker. On my 99R there are gaps in the combing that give the appearance of missing teeth. I admit this is a minor problem and cosmetic issue. The chrome finish is well done on all surfaces, and very nice on the barber-pole handle. Blade alignment and the screw mechanism are both excellent, but the Parker does not give the extra quarter-turn lock of a Gillette. I tried loading a dozen different blades and they all seated perfectly every time. The doors of the TTO mechanism seem lighter than my Gillette's. They work smoothly but flop loosely and make a clinking sound that is not reassuring. I gave it a "7" because it gives the impression of a razor made with manufacturing shortcuts, lesser quality control, and with questionable longevity.

User Friendly: I gave it an "8" because of its simple TTO operation that seated blades perfectly every time. The silo doors, however, do not have a firm, sure close, and loosened by themselves one time. The grip, balance and control I felt with this razor made sure, close, comfortable shaves easy.

Grip: I think this is the best feature of this razor and I gave it a "10". The barber pole spiral ridges provide a secure grip under slippery conditions. The handle is well-suited to those who prefer a longer, heftier razors with great balance. I would argue it may be the best I've ever used. A "10".

Ease of Blade Replacement: Very easy TTO operation with perfect blade alignment every time. The light, floppy silo doors and their clinking sound cause me to question their longevity. The handle twists to close the doors, but does not have the extra quarter-turn to lock them. My doors opened slightly after a blade change, and needed to be checked before every shave. An "8".

Aggressiveness: This is an aggressive razor capable of giving really fine shaves. With an Astra SP, it is more aggressive than most fixed-head DEs I own, nearly as aggressive as a 39C Sledgehammer, and comparable to a Fatboy set at "6/7'. This razor does give really fine shaves. A "9"

Adjustability: This is a non-adjustable razor. "N/A"

Balance: I like the heft and balance of this razor very much. It is neither top- nor bottom-heavy. A "10"

Overall: I like this razor very much, and it gives me some of the closest and smoothest shaves I've ever had. It compares well in shave quality to my Merkur 38C, 39C slant and Gillette Fatboy set at 6/7. It feels natural in my hand (I like substantial razors with long handles) and is very easy to control because of the excellent grip. On the down-side, I can't help but wonder how long it will last. There were minor quality issues with the texturing on the safety bar and clinking sound of the silo doors that make me feel it is not the same quality of other razors in its price range. These, in fact, may be non-issues in the long run. It is too soon to tell.

Some time down the road, I'll be proud to hand down my Merkurs, Gillettes, Gems and Ever Readys to my nephews. I wonder about my Parkers.

Codfish
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly