What's new

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old

TimmyBoston;332028 said:
View attachment 12001

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 years old, extrodinarily refined and elegant. This 20 year old, 90.4 proof bourbon made at the now defunct Stitzel-Weller Distillery is one of the enjoyable on the market. The average price of a bottle is around $100, I've seen it as low as $80 up to over $120.

Appearance - Deep, Rich Caramel Amber Color with strong tones of a shimmery red, gold. Long, thin legs. Excellent Clarity.

Nose - Sweet, Rich and Satisfy. Dark brown sugar, molasses, traces of lemon and sage, some spices. Warm baking bread. Some noticeable alcohol. Very dry oak tones. Very well balanced nose, reeks of good taste.

Palate - Very mellow and rich. Full bodied and ridiculously smooth. Very coating mouthfeel. Decadent and Elegant. Maple syrup, honey, corn sweetness and wheat sharpness. These flavors mingle with a strong dry presence of oak, but without being overly woody. This is the finest use of strong oak flavors I've seen of wood in a bourbon. A bourbon of pure class.

Finish - Clean, Rich and Dry. A slight alcohol tingle lingers with the oak. Extremely short considering the richness and mouthfeel of the bourbon.

Everything this bourbon does it does well, but unfortunately it doesn't do everything I wish it did. The finish is quite short, the flavor dies even before the viscous coating of the mouthfeel does. Additionally it lacks much of the power and complexity I expect from a premium bourbon, but despite these flaws, I don't know of a more refined Kentuckian spirit. If you want pure elegance, look no further.

Overall Score: 90

To discuss this review check out this thread.
I am a long time fan of the Van Winkle line of bourbons and rye. I do like the 20 yo, but much prefer for the 15 yo, which is not only cheaper, but longer on the finish, but is also richer with more flavors of caramel and vanilla. It is one of my all time favorite liquors. Try it, as it might satisfy what you felt was missing from the 20 yo.
I completely agree on this one. After having tried this is a little bar in Bardstown two years ago I had to buy a bottle. This is sublime. Don't let anyone say that bourbon can't age as well as scotch.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
View attachment 12001

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 years old, extrodinarily refined and elegant. This 20 year old, 90.4 proof bourbon made at the now defunct Stitzel-Weller Distillery is one of the enjoyable on the market. The average price of a bottle is around $100, I've seen it as low as $80 up to over $120.

Appearance - Deep, Rich Caramel Amber Color with strong tones of a shimmery red, gold. Long, thin legs. Excellent Clarity.

Nose - Sweet, Rich and Satisfy. Dark brown sugar, molasses, traces of lemon and sage, some spices. Warm baking bread. Some noticeable alcohol. Very dry oak tones. Very well balanced nose, reeks of good taste.

Palate - Very mellow and rich. Full bodied and ridiculously smooth. Very coating mouthfeel. Decadent and Elegant. Maple syrup, honey, corn sweetness and wheat sharpness. These flavors mingle with a strong dry presence of oak, but without being overly woody. This is the finest use of strong oak flavors I've seen of wood in a bourbon. A bourbon of pure class.

Finish - Clean, Rich and Dry. A slight alcohol tingle lingers with the oak. Extremely short considering the richness and mouthfeel of the bourbon.

Everything this bourbon does it does well, but unfortunately it doesn't do everything I wish it did. The finish is quite short, the flavor dies even before the viscous coating of the mouthfeel does. Additionally it lacks much of the power and complexity I expect from a premium bourbon, but despite these flaws, I don't know of a more refined Kentuckian spirit. If you want pure elegance, look no further.

Overall Score: 90

To discuss this review check out this thread.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)