What's new

Palmolive soap stick

German made in 2021
Pros: Good value
Pleasant scent
Just the right amount of slickness (for me)
Not too creamy
Cons: Wrapping
Not readily available in Australia
I received three of these stick from a generous B&B member is Bahrain.

Retail cost is about USD 2.50 to USD 3 for a 50g stick. I expect that one 50g stick will last me about 100 three-pass SR shaves.

IMG_20220223_150558.jpg

Ingredients in order of % by volume:

Potassium stearate
Sodium stearate
Potassium tallowate
Potassium cocoate
Aqua
Sodium tallowate
Sodium cocate
Glycerine
Parfum
Olea European oil
Elaeis guineensis oil
Potassium hydroxide
BHT
Tetrasodium EDTA
Tetrasodium etidronate
Sodium hydroxide
Butylphenyl methylpropional
Citronellol
Eugenol
Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde
Lemonene
Linalcol
CI 11680
CI 74260
CI 12490
CI 77891

I face lather and found this stick to be not as "creamy" as ARKO or tallow Tabac. I found this of benefit to me in my SR shaving. There is also a tad less slickness than what I have experienced with most of my other SR shaving soaps. For some unknown reason, I found that I actually preferred this slightly less slickness.

The only downside for me was the wrapping of the stick. I would have preferred it if there was an additional wrap of water-resistant paper on the outside.

IMG_20220224_083410.jpg
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great value
Lathers in hard water
Nice slickness
Non-irritating fragrance
Cons: Can dry out the skin
There's good reason for the enduring popularity of the Palmolive Classic shaving stick. It is a fantastic value in the UK where it can routinely be found for well under £1. In the USA where it can be ordered online for roughly $3.50, the Palmolive stick still provides a respectable value for the 60+ shaves you can easily get out of a single stick.

I bring this stick along when I stay at parents' house during the summer where they have extremely hard Michigan well water (compared to my normal city water, which is very soft). I have no issues getting a great face lather even using my cheap, no-name travel boar brush. The lather is perfectly slick to shave with a DE and I get nice irritation-free shaves with this soap.

The scent of this shaving stick is similar to the green Palmolive bar soaps you can find as a 3-pack for $1 in dollar stores across the USA. You're not going to find a luxury fragrance here, but the Palmolive stick has a fairly unique, slightly vegetal "soapy" scent with a hint of spiciness to the aroma. Some fragrance ingredients tend to irritate my skin and I don't have that issue at all with Palmolive.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that every wet shaver try the Palmolive Classic shaving stick at least once. You really can't go wrong for the price. You might just find a new favorite that costs just pennies per shave!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: scent
Cons: lathering
Not a great stick, I had a lot more success with Tabac and Wilkinson sticks. It's pretty decent lathering, but definitely a bit thinner than the aforementioned products. I do like the scent and it's pretty cheap (although I got mine in a PIF). I would recommend it as a good traveling soap or a thick beard soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Affordable
Cons: Lather
I bought the Palmolive Soap Stick as my first foray into shaving soaps. Needed something that was affordable just in case I swung and missed. Very good value in my opinion.

Price: $4.99 (enough said)

Quality: Produces a very slick lather and seems to have great moisturizing properties.

Scent: Seems vaguely familiar. I would describe it as clean/fresh.

Lather: Could be my newbie technique or my brush, but I can't seem to get the frothy wad you see from others on this board.

Efficacy: Very slick lather, producing a very close shave.

Moisturizing: Works extraordinarily well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizing, Lather, Scent
Cons: Almost too slick to hold
Good value for the money, especially when considering its moisturizing ingredients.

Good lather. Provides good slickness for razor.

Scent is pleasant and not medicinal.

My only quibble is that it's nearly impossible to hold when wet. Grating into a bowl would be a better solution.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very very cheap yet excellent product.
What a great product. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone, whether they be on a tight budget or not. I think it's the only shave stick I''ve seen sold in chain stores here in the UK (although I could be mistaken) and having used it a lot I can see why it's still being stocked despite most high-street retailers concentrating on canned good. It's currently on sale at Wilko (previously known as Wilkinsons). Get yourself down there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: CHEAP
Cons: a notch under performance-wise compared to other products
The rating that I have might seem, mmm, agressive but I was overall unimpressed by this product. It works but there's better out there. I'm not looking for the cheapest piece of soap out there, if you are, this one might be it (Arko might be the other one).

The first few shaves had to be trial and error as I was expecting a lot from this shave stick and the lather was somehow, average. Since the first few shaves, the lather got better but it's not great IMO. I mean, it's all right, easy to shave with but it's somehow thin or passable. I loaded more product, spent more time building the lather, etc but no success(the lather was a bit better but not fantastic). I cannot get that creamy lather like my top 3 sticks with this one.

What really improved the lather was to push the brush on the inside of the cup while it's soaking in water. It pushed the air out of the brush and allowed more water in. I also tried to soak the stick in warm water while I was in the shower, it also helped but still didn't give me a top lather.

I had higher expectations on this one since it's been around for many years and it's often praised by the UK community. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's garbage. For the price, it's pretty awesome. I think that a better soap can be obtained for a slightly higher amount of money. My point is, if you can afford a slightly more expensive stick (Wilkinson Sword, Tabac, Speick, Valobra) then get one of those instead. If you find this one, give it a go, it's not bad to the point of leaving it at the store.

The scent does deliver, it's spicy a bit. Toward a cologne. If it had the performance of one of the four sticks above with this scent, it would be a killer deal. But it doesn't. Unfortunately, I will need to pass on this one in the future.

For all of this to make sense, follow this link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310894-Shave-Sticks-Review-Project
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, convenient size, lather consistency
Cons: Plastic base easily comes away so you end up holding the stick itself
This seems to have actually gone down in price over the years. I can hardly believe it's only 50p (in supermarkets at least) and stock up whenever I go back to England. As others have said, it's a great size for travel and I managed to save a plastic pill container with snap-on lid that's the perfect travel holder. One tip is not to strip off all the foil in one go, because I find that the plastic base easily comes off and so you end up holding the stick itself. The scent is a subjective thing, but I find it clean, fresh and not too strong. When my shave bowl is empty, I intend to grate/chop a couple of sticks into that.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is a fantastic soap for the price. I grate mine into a bowl rather than use the stick as is. From my experience it is on par with Arko and, unlike Arko, the scent is very pleasant. You can call me crazy but I would say it is nearly (but not quite) on par with Tabac. It lathers well and provides good cushion. Palmolive leaves my face feeling moisturized afterwards as well. Great soap for a great price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, lathers easily
I tried to like this soap, but it just didn't happen. Yes, it costs next to nothing in Europe, yes it lathers easily, but this is where the good news end for me. Compared to other soaps and creams I use (Proraso, Prep, Nivea, bunch of Bulgarian creams) the blade didn't glide well and the shave was not that close. My skin was slightly irritated and I got a lot more after shave sting than usual. Also, my skin felt dry. This time of the year I still use alcohol based AS without any skin drying, but after the Palmolive, I had to use moisturizing cream.
I know many people love the Palmolive stick, but it didn't work for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Pros: dirt cheap, easy lather
Having just started DE shaving and with little experience of soaps, this little stick is readily available in the Uk and only 50p from the local supermarket making it an essential purchase.

I'd never used a soap stick before, nor had a face lathered so a little bit of a learning curve but using a cheap Wilkinson Sword brush this lathered up so easily and created a wonderfully smooth cushion for my EJ DE86 with an Astra SS blade in it.

The 3 pass shave was excellent and the smoothest and closest I've yet had since starting. A second shave the following day with a Lord Super Chrome blade resulted in another excellent shave just to confirm the quality to me.

I did find that it dried my face a little bit compared to the Palmolive cream but nothing a little balm didn't sort out.

I also don't mind the scent but Palmolive was the household bath soap for the family when I was a little 'un so I enjoyed the nostalgia of it all.

An absolute steal and there's no excuse not to have this on the shelf with the more expensive products. Highly recommended
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: all around great
Cons: size of the stick
stick size:
1 inch in diameter
2.75 inches long

This is a premium cream/soap. I won't be without a stick of this from now on.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy and quick to lather, Price, Scent
Cons: Mosturization
For me, it's not the most moisturizing product, but otherwise, it's fantastic. Really easy to lather, and it's got a very good scent. Oddly, to me, it's a bit like Cella. Everyone should try the Palmolive stick at least once.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Performance, Value
In my opinion a fantastic value in shaving soap. Inexpensive, performs very well. Scent is neutral soapy. I use this soap in my travel kit.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: extremely affordable, and works good!
Cons: at this price, none come to mind
I have been using shaving sticks a lot lately. It is a time-saver if you are in a hurry, yet want to make your own lather. This product is affordable, lathers very well, smells good, and is easy to store ( due to its small size) The nice thing about the sticks is they can easily fit in your medicine cabinet over the sink. I can't really say if its my overall favorite though, as it shares a rotation with Arko,Speick, and La Toja ...which also perform very well
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers well, cheap, easy to travel with
Cons: Must be shipped to US from England
Great product! Soak tip in hot water for twenty minutes (err on the longer side rather than shorter, remember to just soak the tip -- probably the top eighth of an inch or so), wipe on stubble, lather up with damp brush -- very simple to use. Usually produces enough lather for two passes with this method. Lather is very effective and of high quality. Convenient to travel with -- no mug and puck to carry in your carry-on (it will fit in a pill bottle if you insist on a carrying case). Note that the price listed includes shipping to the US.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: good value, perfect lather
Cons: polarizing scent
A friend brought a stick of Palmolive back from a trip he took to Ireland, so I didn't pay anything for it. The scent is green and soapy, off-putting for some, but I like it. I don't care for the shave stick format, so I grated the stick into a mug. I used a boar brush to bowl lather. This soap did not disappoint! I'd rate the quality of the lather among the best I've used -- creamy and slick -- it has given me some of the best shaves I've had so far in over a year of DE shaving! It's my go-to, workhorse soap because I can make a great lather with it every time. Skincare is average, as it does not seem to have any particularly moisturizing effect. Overall, this soap is one of the best deals out there, and every wet shaver owes it to himself to try Palmolive.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: good slick lather
Cons: could use a better holder
very cheap shaving stick jus let it sit in a bowl of water bout 2 inchs deep for 30secs then start loading your brush and your rewarded with a good slick lather finish fluffing up in a bowl and your good to go will always be in my rotation
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent lather, nice scent, cheap!
Cons: None really
I have been wet shaving for a while now, and although I love to buy and try new soaps, this remains my "desert island" soap. I consistently get great lather from this soap, and I actually like the scent. Smells somewhat refreshing, not "brutish" in any way. I recommend everyone at least have one stick of this in their rotation.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Poor scent - smells cheap but doesn't linger. Quite hard to get the hang of it but I found that with all shave sticks. Price fantastic!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)