What's new

Palmolive Shave Cream

Pros: Cheap, readily available, makes a good lather, convenient small tube that is good for travel
Cons: Not as lubricating/moisturising as my usual cream, minimal scent
I used the identical looking version of this manufactured in Australia and sold in Australia and New Zealand. It is very cheap and in shops and supermarkets everywhere.

It has robust packaging that is small and easy to pack for travel with a screw on lid that stays on.

Makes a good lather quite easily, but doesn't seem to be as moisturising/lubricating as my usual cream (Proraso). I felt like I got a very mild razor burn using this cream with a Shark super chrome blade and a three pass technique.

I plan to use this as my travel shaving cream, but drop down to a milder blade such as Derby and only do a two pass shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: An easy lather, good creamy concistancy
Cons: Underwhelming scent
Started to use this a few weeks ago. Since then, it's become my "go to" for pretty much any shave I've had since.
Two reasons:
I am not a fan of strong scents from my soaps, that is what AS is for - surely?

It simply works well, does what is needed and truthfully needs to do no more.
Sure, the packaging could be much cooler.
Yes it could have a few nice notes of patchouli or sandalwood.
However, the lack of these things doesn't detract from the fact it simply works well to help to make your shave a bit more comfortable, relaxing and simply more enjoyable.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, easy to lather, great smell
Cons: None
Palmolive Classic is just great. Was my first shaving cream and i'm still using it.
It's mint scented, but it's not powerful, like Proraso green. Very nice, mild smell on it.
Very easy to lather cream. It needs more water than other creams, and i think this is an plus. It's harder to mess the lather up. Great cream for beginners.

The price is just fabulous. We can get 100 ml tube, in Europe, for about $2-3.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, Slick, Easy to lather.
Cons: None I can think of.
Before I start I must state I am reviewing the European version of the Palmolive cream.
I absolutely love this cream. At least where I live (England) it can be picked up for £1.50 for a 100ml tube, and it requires just as little to lather that as any more expensive creams. The shave is definitely on par with the higher end creams I have tried and in some cases it beats them. A small amount of this and you will have the makings of a good lather, but add a little water and it explodes into copious amounts of foam.
As for the shave itself, this cream provides great protection, and I have never had any issues such as irritation when using it, and considering that some high end creams (such as TOBS) sometimes don't protect me as well as this, I would say that makes it a winner. The only real edge that other creams may have is scenting, since this one seems to have a light soapy smell. It is not a fabulous smell, but it is nice and clean.
Honestly considering the price I cannot recommend this product enough, especially when you consider that (at least where I live) you could get ten tubes of this versus one tub of certain higher end creams, and this one will still make for a great shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive, great performance
Unfortunately this product is slightly more expensive here than in Germany (1.75 euro for a tube), but it is still very good value.
This is my travel creme; I always have a tube in my toilet bag. It's a great performer, having a neutral scent, and it lathers easily. Lathering and gliding capabilities are slightly below De Vergulde Hand soap, but still very good.
This creme is perfect for my skin; I never have irritation after having used this shaving creme. I dislike the greenish color, but the performance makes up for that.

Recommended!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
You can buy it everywhere in Germany. Converted it costs approx. 1.29$.
Already Little amount of cream reaches to conjure a foam mountain.
The blade glides softly by the hair and after the shave the skin feels good.

A classic in Europe which most probably already know from their father or grandfather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy, slick lather, decent price
Cons: None I can really think of
This is really, really good stuff. A classic that's been around for many years. I find it very easy to whip up a slick, protective lather. I guess you could say the scent is a little "industrial", but who's going to smell it after you splash-on witch hazel and follow up with AS? I think Palmolive gives more expensive creams a run for their money. I for one find it easier to lather than Musgo Real, for example. I hope they keep producing it for years to come.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: price scent performance
Pretty good for it's price. I have used the EU version. The scent is a natural scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I was using this great shave cream off and on at home but since I am away for a family health matter this is the only thing I took along. I am not sure what scent or packaging has to do with it but I can attest this stuff is excellent. Made in Belgium by Palmolive I find it to be thick like tooth paste and I cannot detect a definitive scent. But who cares. Because of limited space in my temporary home away from home I apply a dab directly to a nice wet and hot badger and face lather. There is easily enough for 3 passes with a lot left over.
My slant glides with zero irritation and gives me a BBS every time. Really good stuff and will be on my reorder list when I get low.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)