What's new

Palmolive lather shaving cream

Cheap and very effective. NO longer made, I bought the last three tubes in my Walgreens for a buck a piece. Its really good and I have paid up to $40 for creams that lacked the great qualities Palmolive posseses. Need good and cheap cream, try Wars (found in Ebay Poland).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I came across this completely by accident. I was in Bed, Bath, & Beyond and noticed they've started carrying "pharmacy" type stuff. Mouthwash, toothpaste, etc. Then I saw that right next to the Clubman was a "Lathering Cream" from Palmolive. Upon reading the instructions I saw that it was for brushes and decided to give it a try. Honesty, for the money, this is the best stuff I've ever used. It does a great job and is REALLY cheap if you can find it. Unfortunately, it smell pretty bad. Like an old bar of soap. But other than that, it's great.

Price: I paid $1.99 for a 4.4 oz tube at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Beat that!

Quality: This is a solid cream. Is it a 3 T's, well know but it's close and for the money, the value is unbeatable.

Scent: Yuck! It's doesn't smell like a turd or anything but the smell is just a bland generic soapy smell.

Latherability: A real lather monster! I find it takes just a little more water than the average cream.

Efficacy: Solid.

Moisturizing Properties: Could be better, but passable.

Packaging: Plain plastic tube. Kind of blah, but it's the stuff on the inside that matters, right?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I heard they were going out of the shaving cream business, so I took a risk and bought two tubes.

I thought it was easy to lather, and made a good lather at that; white peaks and all. Everything came together real quick for me. :001_tt1:

The shave, using Derby blades, (first time in a long time,) went well. I thought the cream had lots of glide, but by the end of the shave, I thought it left my skin a little tight. But it turned out ok, because I put on my L'Occitane after shave balm, so no harm, no foul.

There are better creams out there. (Nancy Boy, Musgo Real, C&E SAO) to name a few.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This always leaves my skin feeling very smooth and moisturized, much moreso than most other creams. The scent is really the only turn off.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I really like this cream and use it at least once per week. It makes great lather and is very lubricating, yielding a very comfortable shave. I just wish it had a nicer aroma.

Tim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
D
I just started the "right way" this weekend after reading all of its benefits. I had just bought a nice shave brush, DE razor, and bowl. I was planning un buying all those expensive creams and aftershaves online, but I was eager to start so I picked up what was readily available at our drugstore.

Having had no experience with this shaving method, I am glad that I stumbled into this nice shaving cream. It's a good value for less than $3 and it does its job as the reviews here have indicated. I actually liked the smell, although I can't tell if it's really the cream or the aftershave that's lingering afterwards. I'm currently using a Jason organic aftershave.

I now plan on using this up before my next shaving cream purchase.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Very decent cream. Scent is there, but completely ordinary and non-memorable.

This is an excellent cream to use if you are trying out a new razor or other new product and don't want to be distracted by the shaving cream. It is extremely functional but does not intrude on your consciousness.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A very good performing, no nonsense cream. I kind of like the grassy, soapy scent. I find it takes a bit more water than other creams to generated a good lather. The flip top tube is pretty nice compared to those on other, more expensive tubes of cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
D
I've had a tube of the Palmolive Lather shave cream (the RED tube, not the GREEN - ie brushless, non-lathering stuff) for some time, but didn't get around to trying it for quite some time.

Recently, I began adding it in my rotation just to see if it was any good. I have to admit, I was pretty doubtful that an inexpensive, mass-produced drugstore product could be very high-quality.

Well, I'm a doubting Thomas no longer. Simply stated -- this stuff really is a top contender, and at a fraction of the price of the luxury English lathering shave creams.

Frankly, I prefer it to the English stuff. I should explain that for me, personally, the shaving performance of the cream is 99% of what interests me, and fragrance is very much an after-thought. I like a nice scent but - eh - it's not what gets me out of bed in the morning. So, the beautiful essential oil fragrances added to the "three T's" are not a very high priority to me.

In the performance department, this stuff does absolutely everything that is needed, and does it very well indeed. I find it provides lather, lubricity, and a smooth, irritation-free shave as well as or better than any other cream. Just first-rate performance. I would especially give credit to this lather for not providing any irritating, stingy after-effect. Just leaves your face feeling well-treated.

And for some reason, the lather seems to retain heat in the bowl better than other creams. Don't know why, but it's an added little bennie.

Finally, as to the scent, I'd have to say that it is by no means unpleasant. It's just not interesting. Smells sort of like the big name brand hand-soaps - you know, mild and inoffensive, but not by any means memorable or luxurious. I just don't think anyone should miss out on this great bargain because they are worried that it will be a nasty stench. It's not. Think of it as OK, but not a sensory tour-de-force.

Finally, I'd just like to add that this stuff would be ideal for students or other budget-conscious shavers. All the performance (minus the fun scents), at a truly bargain price.

Great stuff. If you can pick up a tube (for about $3 !!!!!!!), give it a try. I predict you'll be impressed . . . especially at the quality for the money.

-- David
I found some of this last week and didn't even think to post it on the score forum! Palmolive is great, the lather I produced with it was thick and lubricating. It took more cream in the cream:water ratio, but for the price who can complain?

What can be complained about is the scent: it is generic, like I would expect the base of a luxury cream to smell. However, compaired to its finished product, my complaints with it aren't enough to keep me from putting the tube on the "regulars" shelf in my bathroom!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Palmolive shave cream is very similar to the Arko shave creams. I do, however, find the lather to be just a little bit more lubricating than the Arko.

Overall, it is a good performing product with a scent mildly better than tolerable. It is quality but not luxury.

The one thing that I really like about Palmolive is that it is readily available at most pharmacy chains and Wal-Mart. If the airport ever loses my luggage or if my travel tub were to spill in transit, then Palmolive would reign supreme.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
When I first started wetshaving the "proper" way, it was recommended that I pick up a tube of Palmolive to add to my Williams Shaving Soap. Well, I couldn't find this stuff anywhere. One day, while hanging out at Walgreen's waiting for a Rx, in the back of a clearance rack, I found a tube. Lucky for me, it was the Red tube, not the "brushless" Green tube. What a difference it made with the Williams! However, I never used it by itself until a few months ago. Wow! No, it's not one of the "big boys", but it is a great cream. I still can't find it locally, but my sister was up recently from Texas. I asked her to pick up a tube at CVS. Well, she brought 4! Probably a lifetime supply. But if spending $10-25 bucks for a shaving cream is not an option, this is! Good stuff!

Randy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I think I'm one of the few that loves this stuff. It has a clean, fresh, soapy smell that I really enjoy. I can pick up a big tube of it at CVS for $3, less than the SHIPPING COST of most other brands that have to be ordered off the internet. It gives a great lather (in fact, I've head of people adding it to all kinds of stuff to get a nice-smelling soap lathering better). Of course, the bottom line is that it gives an excellent shave.

If you like the scent, there's really nothing to complain about.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff; I used it when I first started shaving with a brush 20 years ago. It isn't as luxurious or beautifully scented like the more expensive creams but it has its own identity and is very distinctively Palmolive.

I didn;'t realise at the time tof this review that the US Plamolive is different to the UK one, I am refering to the UK one here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Just think how this would sell if it came in various scents rather than it's somewhat bland soapy scent. a great cream all around-except for scent!

Marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
It's really a pity that this stuff's non-existent where I live, because it's really a good shaving cream. OK, it's not a luxurious, elegant cream like Taylors, DR Harris, etc, but for such cheap money, it's still quite fine in my books. Anyone who's looking for a good no-frills, basic shaving cream without blowing his budget apart, this brand is ideal.

Jeff
Top Bottom