What's new

Palmolive by Mennen lather shave Reg (made in Australia)

Pros: convenient tube with flat lid so it will stand up, pleasant smell, cheap
Cons: not a great lather in feel/looks or shavability
yes it's cheap. yes it has a great lid. yes it is convenient for travel. yes it smells ok. but these are not necessarily what makes a great cream/soap for shaving - it's the lather and the resultant shave and I'm sorry to say this stuff just doesn't cut it (weak and overused pun intended).

I absolutely love the aussie Palmolive shave stick - I do not love the cream, I don't even like it and at 65gms it does not even give good value for money - vastly inferior to the Palmolive Shave Stick and also Fauldings Shave Cream both of which are also widely available (in Oz) and in the same price range.

I find the lather from this cream to be too dry thus providing insufficient lubrication for a smooth close shave. I have used it with DE (38c, hoffritz slant, progress 510 and Derby/Astra SP/Feather) and SE (g-bar and gem ptfe) and everytime I was disappointed.

the only use I will have for this in the future is to add it to a pucked stick for a superlather. on it's own I'm sorry to say I think it is a poor product - ymmv. based on the lather and shave I get from the Shave Stick I had high hopes for this cream, afterall, creams generally give a pretty moist cushiony lather...

a shame this did not live up to my expectations because I do really like the large cap and tube design, I just don't like the stuff that comes out when you squeeze it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Rocco sent one of these together with the Australian Palmolive soap stick some time ago. It irritated my skin a little so I let it be for about 2 years but since I am trying to get rid of my 'forgotten' stuff this year I am working my way through this tube. The great thing is the irritation didn't occur again.

It is a typical drugstore quality but on the good side; scent is a bit artificial but not bad. Actually it smells close to the glue I used in kindergarten...

It lathers easily and the quality of that lather is simply good; not superb but above average with enough cushion and protection and a nice glide. I can see why people keep on using this when it is around and cheap.

As a soap user 90% of the time I am always surprised how fast a tube of cream goes down but I don't need to use more product than with other creams so that is ok too I guess. Never got a bad shave out of this one and I liked using it (there are maybe 4 or 5 shaves left) but at the same time I will be glad there is another product gone in my den. Nothing to complain about it but at the same time it also isn't a product that I will get attached too.

But it was certainly nice to play around for a few weeks with 'exotic' stuff that I would never have used if it wasn't for some of the fine gentlemen gathered here at B&B! Thanks again Rocco! :thumbup1:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I've used it on and off for a long time. I have one in the den as a reserve.

I agree with others: for the price it is very good. Some more expensive creams (Taylors St James, for example) tend to dry out or leave less cushion than this.

For a little more money I can get Nivea shave cream from India (which isn't sold in Australia). It is better - but not the easy option.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Sure, it's not the best product in the world, but there is far worse for more money. The scent isn't exactly distinctive one could almost say neutral and not unpleasant.

This stuff was my first shaving cream and I used it for a couple of years so I have no complaints about its use. It lathers well, gives good glide under the blade and whips up well with a very cheap ($2 boar). However, thanks to the chaps on here, I have moved onto bigger and better product - but often in the same price range (I buy a lot of Indian shaving products).

So, as a good stand-by, or something you need to get in a hurry - buy this or keep it to hand for travel.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have to echo what Luc said. This is no TOBS, JM Fraser or Proraso but for the the money you can't go wrong! My only issue is the scent. I will buy it again when my current tube runs out.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
What can I say? The stuff is cheap and good!

This little 65gr tube will set you back at $2.20 AUD. The highest I saw was $3.25 AUD. I don't think you can beat that price for what you get. Unless you get it for free :biggrin:

65 grams is not that much but you don't need much to work with this cream. I've been using it for more than 4 weeks at the moment and I still have some left for probably 2 weeks.

I use it with my Men-U bristle brush, almond size and it lathers like crazy.

The scent is a bit difficult to describe but I would say a fresh plant. However, not like Proraso white. It's a nice, soapy and clean scent. Maybe on the edge of being a 'barbershop' type of scent.

Out of all the shaves I had, I never had a single bad shave with this cream. I used it with my Gillette NEW w/Bull Mastiff or with my straight (Sheffield John Wyatts).

If you are getting started, this is a very good place to start. Easy to lather, easy to find and cheap! If you never tried it, you should. It's a great exprience. I wasn't sure when I bought it as I do not trust those 'classic' tubes. For $2.20, it wasn't a big gamble.

Would I buy it again? Yes :thumbup1:

EDIT: If you would like to discuss the review click here
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)