What's new

Pacific Shaving Company Shave Oil

Pros: Smells good
Cons: Ineffective; expensive
I am a big fan of Pacific Shaving's nick stick, so I decided to try their Pacific Shaving Oil. The oil smells of bergamot and tangerine. It is a very thin liquid like jojoba oil.

The product says it can be used alone without a shaving cream. I would not recommend this at all. It is not protective and doesn't provide adequate lubrication unless you use a far greater quantity than the package suggests.

Save yourself some money and buy straight jojoba oil from a health food store or Trader Joe's. It'll work just as well, you'll get a ton more, and it'll be a lot cheaper.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
1.00 star(s)
Performance
1.00 star(s)
This stuff is terrific. Used by itself, it is the best shave I have ever gotten (tied with euro palmolive). I have yet to try it as a pre-shave, but I imagine it works pretty much the same, since the lather would just go on top of it.
Can't recommend it enough.
I love to lather, but this stuff works so well and there is no learning curve.
Goes on clear. There is something to be said for being able to see the hair you are cutting.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have been using this oil as a pre-shave oil. I put it on as soon as I turn off the water in the shower and let it soak in while I dry off and whip up a lather with my shave soap. My shaves have been significantly better since I started using this oil. And it doesn't gunk up my brush.

The only criticism of this oil is that there are a couple of unnatural ingredients in it that probably aren't necessary since oil has a pretty good shelf life. I have tried to make my own shave oil with 2/3 Castor Oil 1/3 Grapeseed, and it has worked pretty well. The positives for Pacific Shave is that the oil is much thinner than most oils so it's easy to spread, the bottle easily dispenses the oil by the drop so you can be precise in the amount you use, and it has a nice, fresh citrus scent.

All in all, this is a very nice product that should significantly improve most people's shaves.
Scott
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I have gotten into the habit of using this oil as a preshave oil for my shaves and my shaves have definitely improved as a result. I use it as directed and find that it actually goes on more like a soap than an oil and turns whitish when applied to a wet face. 6 drops is enough for use as a pre-shave oil so I think this 0.5oz bottle will last me months. Highly recommended and I will buy a bigger size of this when I run out.
This is actually a very versatile product. On its own, it is a fine shaving oil, no soap or cream necessary. Used in combination with a soap or a cream, it is hands down the best pre-shave oil I have come across. When in a hurry, it takes a few minutes off of the time required for a straight edge shave by eliminating the use and cleaning up of a soap or brush. It also is great for travelling, taking away the need for bowls, brushes, and soap or cream containers. A great addition to any shave kit.
I hate to admit it (LOL), but this stuff probably gives me a better shave than anything else! Very mild, pleasant citrus scent that doesn't hang on, 99% natural (save for one ingredient which I found is nothing terrible after looking it up, just probably unnecessary - can't remember the name, but I think it's third on the ingredient list); it's mostly sunflower oil (1st on the ingredient list), which is very benevolent, just read about it even a little. The price is best if you order directly from Pacific - only a dollar shipping for one half ounce bottle; also, Pacific plants a tree for every bottle they sell, pretty cool. The bottle's recyclable plastic, and I still give them a 10 even though I think we ought to go back to glass. If you have "flat" hairs like mine, you'll probably like this stuff; one tip - you add water, rather than oil; that being said, I still like a few extra drops (yes, DROPS!). Great for travelling (if I ever go anyplace!) size wise, the bottle is so small; also, I believe (don't quote me) that Pacific oil is recognized/approved by the TSA.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Hands down the best shave oil I have found for your dollar. I am basing the rating numbers that 5 is average, that said this is an above average oil for a below average price. 2 oz. of this good quality shave oil is only $23, and with a great oil like T&H at $18 per ounce this is a no brainer buy. It is a thin and yet slick oil that does not weigh on your face like motor oil. If you like a thick oil then this is not the product for you. Yes I agree there are better quality oils out there, however I would argue ounce per ounce the best buy for shaving oils.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)