What's new

P-160 Tipo Morbido (Soft Type)

Pros: Slick
The myth, the legend, the P.160!!

I want to start by saying thanks again to treewhale for PIFing me this and a bunch of other goodies to try.
I really was keen on giving this a go as you it gets high praise from many here. I think the praise actually psyched me out and I was expecting more from this stuff...how or why I don't know...just seemed like everyone was so crazy for it once it went away for ever.
At the end of the day I liked it and might try to buy some in a small chunk if it becomes available.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Thick lather
Cons: None
Amazing product, leather was thick and had great staying power. The scent reminded me of a paper glue-stick when I was a kid - so I enjoyed it; luckily not too strong once lather forms.For those looking to avoid 1kg commitment, italianbarber.com sells it in 120 gr chunks.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Like some others, P.160 irritates my skin. I only use tallow soaps and the only ingredient I can see that's the possible culprit [for me] is Palmitic Acid.

Otherwise a most efficaceous/value for money soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I needed a bit of shaving soap . . . perhaps I went overboard. I ordered a 1 kilo block of P.160 from Joseph at the Italian Barber.

2 days later . . . boom (the sound of the block hitting my doorstep) then I'm cutting off 3/4" off an end and moulding it into a container.

Well I'm sure that having read the previous reviews you don't really need to hear further confirmation from . . . but you have it now. This stuff is wonderful. Almond cookie, marzipan, I found it a bit strong hence the little knock in my rating for scent. It does fade quickly after the shave so no big problem.

This stuff lathers like a son-of-a-gun. . . very very nice creamy protective lather. 8 hours after the shave my face is well moisturized.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
:thumbup1:

Thick, rich lather. Protective, yet slick to provide that super glide.

Sweet scent that lingers only as long as the lather is on your face, once you have rinsed, provide the aftershave of your choice at will with no risk of fragrance interference.

A price that works for everyone. 1 kilo brick for between 35-40 bucks. This is enough for 2-3 years. A MAJOR bargain.

Superb quality. This stuff has been a barbershop stable in Italy for a long time.

Moisturizing: It has tallow, so your face is never dry post-shave.

The rating speak for themselves. I love this stuff. The smell, the price, the lather, the moisturizing, and the tallow. Get your hands on it because in a few years it will be gone.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I really like this soap. It must be the easiest soap to lather which means I will share it with those friends I try to bring to the "right side" of shaving.

The scent is nice to me, but I can understand why some might not like it.

The lather is great. It just takes five swirls or so, with a boar brush to get all the soap you need (haven't tried with badger yet) for three passes of rich, cushiony, slick lather. I don't remember another soap that lathers as fast as this one, and I've tried most of what is in the market.

Efficacy and Moisturizing: Great shave. 'Nuff said.

Because it's being discontinued, this soap has been getting a lot of attention lately, which has created a sort of feeding frenzy in order to get the last remaining kilos still on the market.
It is a pity, because it is a great soap, but on the bright side, it sells by the kilo, which means that it's a lifetime supply as part of a rotation, and I'm sure many B&Brs are generous enough to share a little with those who miss out. This being said: Don't miss out on the opportunity of getting this soap if you can. It is really worth it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: Can't be beat for this quality. Yes, the 1Kg block is a minor investment but at $40 shipped you get a ton of it for the same price as a single puck of the higher end soaps. And if you break down the price per gram, this soap is only beat by the likes of Arko, Williams, and VDH. And the quality far exceeds those. This is the most economical good soap ever.

Quality: Ranks right up there with the best of them. Superior quality which few could beat.

Scent: This is the only area I've marked this procuct down. Straight out of the box, it is heavenly. Almondy, marzipan spell with maybe a hint of cherry. Smells so good you want to eat it. However that scent doesn't last while lathering. Once lathered it takes on a plain soap smell, like Dove soap.

Lather: Very thick and easy to make. After a swirl of 10 seconds or less, I produce enough great lather for 4 passes, and still have enough left to do it all again another 4 times.

Efficacy: Very slick, does what it is supposed to.

Moisturizing: I take my leftover cream (after my last pass) and rub it into my hands and face, just to get the most out of this product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
pedroso268;1615782 said:
i bought this soap thinking was a cheaper version of cella, i was right!!!. it is cheaper and boy, you will notice the difference. i took my silver tip badger brush from shavemac and lathered, it didnt take to much time to create a thick beautiful leather. i applied it to my face and BANG !!!. i felt a bit of tingling in my face, when i passed my razor the first time i discovered my face as red as a tomatoe. the irritation was with a major I, like a japanese man subjected to plutonium. :mad::eek::angry:. i had to wash my face very fast and finished with cella:001_wub::drool:. i had to apply cream e45 after that and my face has stayed red for the past two days. some people find this soap amazing, good for them, but for me, nahhh. i stick with cella, tabac or palmolive shaving stick.

p stands for plutonium. :cursing:

With all due respect, I think you should not rate with 0 Quality, 0 Efficacy, etc. One thing is you having an allergic reaction to a soap component and another thing is to blame the product characteristics. Let's put it another context: When you go to a burger joint where all people are raving about their star burger, but then you discover that the signature spread contains some ingredients that you have allergic reactions, would you rate and tell all the other people that the flavor or the texture of the burger is crap? You can follow the example from other reviews where the possible allergic reaction is noted, but don't trash the overall product rating.
This is a pretty good soap. This is my first venture into the soft italian soaps. I enjoy the fragrance, unlike other reviewers, and really like the fact the sweet smell.

It lathers well, and easily, and gets a relatively thick lather. It is good, but honestly, I would recommend Col. Conk Almond just as highly as I recommend this soap. I feel that the lather is comparable, as is the cushion and moisture. The only place where the P160 really stands out is the strong/sweet fragrance. The fact that it comes in 1kg bars is a bit much for a home user - but you could easily split it into 4 or 8 pieces if you posted on this board ;) - which is how I got my sample. You can find it for about $25 for 1kg, so price is pretty darn good.

I used it side by side with the Col Conk out of curiosity, and thought I would write this review to share my findings with you all.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
From what I've heard, this is the soap that's been used all over Italy in barber shops. The scent may be a bit strong, but once you've been to such a barber shop and get a nice 1 kg block in your own bathroom, you will get back that feeling of being in Italy, under a nice sunshine, while being shaven.
Tried this to see if my skin could take it (almond usually is a problem). Had some tickling and felt a sneeze coming up, but after that it was ok.The strong almond scent disappears quickly. Lathers nicely and works ok. A nice soap, a lot like and a bit less than Cella. But as it is cheaper worth a try.

Edited to say that after a few times using this soap, I get some bumps/spots (do not know the right word but sure you will understand) in my face. So irritation, but that's me. This is a nice everyday soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
i bought this soap thinking was a cheaper version of cella, i was right!!!. it is cheaper and boy, you will notice the difference. i took my silver tip badger brush from shavemac and lathered, it didnt take to much time to create a thick beautiful leather. i applied it to my face and BANG !!!. i felt a bit of tingling in my face, when i passed my razor the first time i discovered my face as red as a tomatoe. the irritation was with a major I, like a japanese man subjected to plutonium. :mad::eek::angry:. i had to wash my face very fast and finished with cella:001_wub::drool:. i had to apply cream e45 after that and my face has stayed red for the past two days. some people find this soap amazing, good for them, but for me, nahhh. i stick with cella, tabac or palmolive shaving stick.

p stands for plutonium. :cursing:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No ratings from me, because the strong sweet almond scent (resembling amaretto liqueur) irritated my skin to the point where shaving was a painful chore rather than a few minutes' worth of purposeful and deft manipulation of a razor blade. That said, the product lathers very easily, producing a thick and dense mass of shaving goodness. I think in my case it would have been too thick for comfort, but if your preference runs towards this type of lather, then P.160 is certainly worthy of being sampled. And in price it is almost impossible to be beaten.
I purchased the 1K size from Shoebox, cut off a piece and pushed it down into the bottom of a mug...and there it stayed, untouched, for about a week and a half. Last night I finally decided to give it a whirl and WOW. I don't think this soap gets nearly enough credit for how great it really is. It produces some thick, dense lather...it was like a pillow on my face. The scent fades a bit once lathered and is quite pleasant. If I didn't like variety as much as I do, this would be my go-to soap, hands-down. If it didn't have a 3 year shelf-life, I would totally hoard this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is flat out amazing stuff!!

This has a absolutely wonderful smell of almond. Yes, it is strong, but very pleasant, so no complaints from me.

This is called soap, but it is more like a heavy paste that you can mold into whatever container you like.

This easily produces tons of rich creamy lather. Probably an excellent product for a newbie, since it lathers like crazy.

A word on Packaging, and price:

I got mine from Shoeboxshaveshop: $4.19 for a 3.5 oz- 3.8 oz size piece. This is considered the sample size. If you love this so much that you want a two- three year supply, you can buy it by the 1KG size (2.2 lbs!!!) for $24.99.

This is great value, at only $0.74 cents per ounce when bought in bulk. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Its top quality soap. One of the best in the market accept scent which is too sweet and too strong - overpowering marzipan
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I just can't say enough about this product. I have been using this for a week and I have to say, I have been looking forward to shaving every morning. I bought his from Superlather. They only sell it as a sample.

Price: Very good price only $3.00 for a sample, but it will last a long time. I usually take a small amount from the brick and rub it in the bottom of my shave bowl.

Quality: Some of the best lather I have ever made using creams or soaps. I will usually have enough lather for four passes and then some.

Scent: Not the best scent in the world but it is not unpleasant. I could not get past the smell of Tabac for example, but this has an agreeable scent.

Lather: Has to be a 10 on the scale from 1-10.

Efficacy: Very slick

Moisturizing: I have never seen a cream or a soap as moisturizing.

IMHO, I think everyone can enjoy this amazing soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)