What's new

OSMA Shaving Soap with Alum (SAVON À BARBE À L'ALUN)

I have used this product since I started DE shaving in Feb 2014. It consistently gives a good creamy slick lather regardless of which shave brush, and razor + blade combination, I employ.

I strongly recommend it to all fellow DE Shavers.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is the first soap that has been able to break into my rotation since I started using MWF.

I bought this soap for the novelty factor because it has Alum in it, the soap is a bit of a conundrum for me as it challenges me to re-evaluate how to judge shaving soap.

I used this soap after having a bad shave day the day before, you know the one, when half way through the first pass with a straight, you realize that its one shave too many for the edge, that you should have touched it up on the CrOx. Foolishly you carry on regardless and end up with your face feeling like it did when you were a Rookie to Wet shaving and had the shaving bumps to prove it the next morning.

It turned my preconceptions on their head because it couldn't be more unlike the current incumbent MWF.

While MWF gives a luxurious and creamy lather that will leave your face moisturized all day, by comparison this creates a dry lather with little or no moisturizing effect, so it would seem to be shaving soap of lesser quality.

Here is the crux of the issue if judging by the quality or the lather the MWF is superior but when judging the quality of the shave and the amount of irritation things get more complicated. This is where the OSMA soap comes into its own, because of the Alum in the soap it provides a shave with No Irritation, I mean NADA, I don't know if this is because it seal any micro cuts instantly or prevents them from happening.

Applying an Alum block after shaving no sting at all not even a mild one and no redness to at all.

While it won't relegate MWF it will get a look in a couple of times a week and will be my go to soap when my skin is feeling sensitive from the day before.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)