What's new

Osage Rub

Pros: COLD!
Cons: None
All I can say is DAMN IT"S COLD!! This stuff is great!! No shaver should be without this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Cooling, stimulating, refreshing
Cons: Scent
Fist let me say I love this stuff for the feel and effect it gives. The smell though is not too great and I would not want to be out in the world smelling like this so it's reserved for weekends or days when I am only at home.

Now I have an interesting story about this stuff that will give you a good idea about the scent.

When I was a teen there was an old guy in the neighborhood that smelled like this stuff and I instantly recognized the scent the first time I put some on. This guy used to be a boxer when he was younger.

Whenever you got near him he smelled like powder and rub A535 or some other muscle pain rub.
So I always assumed as a former boxer he was always in pain so he was using rub A535 and putting on scented powder as well to just smell better.

It turns out it was probably this stuff as the smell is identical.
There you have it for the smell.

The effect is cooling, bracing, stinging, numbing. And on a hot summer day I love it.

It would be 5 star if it weren't for the scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Menthol
Cons: Scent
This product was given to me as it’s not easy to come by down under. I got more than generous sample to try it. As a result, I re-PIF’d some to others down under. I used the product here and there during the summer and that was a winner. I’ve been using it on a regular basis now to review it.

The product itself is considered to be one of the most mentholated products out there. I don’t have any doubts. It seems that the menthol is the main ingredient. I am disappointed in the scent as it’s this over powering menthol fragrance. It reminds me of Vicks Vaporub when I was a kid. There something like camphor in there and I always associate it to medication. There’s a slight (very weak) soapy scent and powdery (those are very weak).

On application it feels like I dipped my face in a bowl of water, snow and ice. This goes for a good 5 minutes post application. It’s not bad but the scent is really there and that wasn’t the best experience for me. It was so cold that I almost felt a burning sensation but that went away quickly.

The good news, the camphor/Vicks scent goes away after 15-20 mins. I now have a very soapy type of scent. The moisturising aspect works really well as I feel that my skin liked Osage Rub but isn’t greasy. Just right!

Would I buy it again? Probably not just because of the scent. If I have a cold and can’t smell it, sure, but then, I get a cold during winter usually which doesn’t push me toward mentholated products…
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
During a blistering hot summer, I want to use the most cooling aftershave. While reading many reviews here, I decided to try Osage Rub. This frostbite in a bottle is in a class of its own.

Price: The price is one of the greatest features of this product, it comes in a 14 oz bottle, and a quick search on the internet will tell you this is a very inexpensive product. I was unable to find it locally, so I had to order it. But even with shipping it was cheaper, per ounce, than Aqua Velva.

Fights Razor Burn: I am a person that gets a fair amount of razor burn. And I recognize a lot of that has to do with my technique. Yet in the mean time, while many of us are still learning the intricacies of the perfect technique, we have a product like this. I get zero razor burn after I splash this on my face.

Cooling Sensation: This product is known for being ice cold. Immediately after application you feel frostbite begin to set in. In fact, the first time I used it, my cheeks were numb for 15 minutes. While this may not appeal to everyone, I certainly like it on hot summer days. This product is really intense for the first 30 seconds on most days. Other days, I feel my face somewhat frozen for a several minutes. The cooling effect for me lasts about 10 to 15 minutes. I sometimes apply this over my entire face, after a long day to enjoy the frigid temperatures. One thing to note is, I can certainly understand why some people may find this product too intense, and there are some days when I find it too much, but then I just remind myself of the temperature outside.

Scent: To me, Osage Rub is so loaded with menthol that whatever fragrance that is added...is overtaken. This isn't a product that you'd want to open up and take a big whiff of. While this is beginning to be somewhat of a cliche, I find it to smell like vicks vapor rub. It does have a slight "barbershop" smell (think proraso) hidden behind the menthol kick. I would assume this is due to the eucalyptus. The scent however fades very quickly.... perfect for those wanting to splash on some cologne after.

Efficacy: While this rating is somewhat subjective, I think we all know, just by looking at the ingredients, what purpose this product serves. It's is a straightforward aftershave splash, kills razor burn, and provides an intense cooling sensation. If you are looking for more than that, you may need to look elsewhere, or use something in addition to this. Thus, if you strictly look at the products purpose, it's a 10.

Moisturizing: Osage Rub has no "moisturizing" ingredients, such as glycerin. I gave this product a 5 because it neither dries out my face, nor does it add any moisture. This may be a different story to those who have different skin conditions, but I think its on par with a lot other splashes out there. So, if you have dry skin, or want to add some moisturizing, following this up with a balm or moisturizer, is probably your best bet.

No Alcohol Burn: Neither this nor Aqua Velva (I try to relate this to Aqua Velva because most are familiar with that similar product) really give me that much alcohol burn. For me with Aqua Velva, there is a slight pinch at first then a gradual build up of cooling. However, once I put some Osage Rub on my face, I am immediately struck with the cooling sensation, so there is probably no time to feel the alcohol kick. Others may have a different story however.

I tried to get a decent picture of the opening of the bottle. It's got a small little opening so you can pour out just the right amount, and you don't have to put your thumb over the top of the bottle to regulate the pour.

As always, your mileage may vary. I however, enjoy this product, as it must be taken for what its purpose it serves.

Click here for a thread to discuss this product.
I am surpised this wonderful aftershave lotion has not been reviewed yet. This hi-powered menthol bomb is IMHO an essential summer time aftershave. It has a powdery scent out of the bottle but basically unscented after the dry down. The menthol and eucalyptol really offer a super cooling sensation which lasts a good 15 minutes. A trick that I use is apply the splash. After it dries, apply a nice ASB such as The Gentlemen's Refinery ASB. It actually revives the cooling effect and moisturizes the skin which the Osage Rub is not meant to do. This compliments creams or soaps that are menthol based(Proraso, Nancy Boy, any Mama Bear mint soap, and espcially My time bath and body 10/10 menthol).

The stuff is dirt cheap at $4 for 14 oz and can be found in many brick and mortar stores. If not, many online barber supply stores carry it for a very descent price. This stuff is not for the faint of heart. It is the ultimate in cooling! I love the stuff and will always have in my arsenal:001_smile
I've read about the O'Rub's amazingly frigid properties and just couldn't believe anything could be that cold...yeah right. I ordered a bottle to share with a workmate o' mine who I turned onto wetshaving...holy smokes! Both he and I became instant believers, there's nothing that is this cold out of the bottle except for TSD's Sub Zero aftershave and that's after it's been in the freezer for a couple of days. I can imagine what would happen if you stuck the O'Rub in the deep freeze for a while...does frostbite come to mind? Needless to say it does what it promises and IMHO it does it well, getting 10's across the board. This is part of my permanent summer rotation ahhhh hotdogs, fireworks, cold beer and a splash of the O'Rub!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
After reading the 2 previous reviews I had to try this stuff out for myself. I have been using the product for about 2 weeks now and I must say it is my go to A/S. This stuff freezes your face and the effect last for about 10-15 minutes. At $4.50 before shipping for 14ounces you won't find much cheaper that works as good as this stuff. I usually find that I have to use a balm after I splash on a/s but with Osage Rub I don't have to. It has a great moisturizing property to it. The only score below a 10 for me was the scent. I like the scent but it is not my favorite. I sensed a little bit of a medicine scent when I first splashed it on but this does go away.

I will definatley make sure I always have a bottle of Osage Rub on my shelf.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I slightly prefer The Shaving Den's Subzero splash with menthol and allantoin, but the Osage Rub has become my no. 2 splash. Really hard to beat for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling should be higher than 10
No alcohol burn should be -10
Frigid icicles on face, priceless
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I picked this up from my local baber shop. The first time I used it, it did have some burn to it but WOW this stuff gets cold!!!! Does what it should for what it is. Are there better aftershaves out there? Sure. But can't go wrong with this stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
If you do not have any of this and you are wondering-stop! Just order some and you will have acquired the one a/s that will contribute to global cooling!

Osage Rub does what it was designed for and does it well. I did receive a 'sting' initially, but then Mr.Freeze kicked in and left my face chillin' like a villain.

I did not even think about using a balm afterwards, as my face was still 'Kool and the Gang'. Now 3 hours later, there is still no need.

I followed a shave with a BIC loaded slanthammer with this and cannot remember any razor burn-if i had any it didn't last long once the Rub was applied.

The scent is mentholly, but it does not last long at all.

Another barbershop a/s classic that deserves it's reputation.

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is mentholated Chuck Norris in a bottle just waiting patiently to spring out and deliver a refreshing roundhouse kick to your coconut the moment this wonderful viridian elixir comes into contact with your freshly shorn kisser..

Oft called 'rocket fuel' by those in the know and with good reason. I'm talking REAL laboratory-grade stuff here!! Srsly, on the Menthol Richter Scale, this stuff's a 23½!!

A MUST for 'menth-heads'..

Girlie men need not apply...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been reading review on Osage Rub for a few months and in a moment of weakness ordered two bottle to save on the shipping off of Amazon. Got up the next morning and after a nice hot shower and a real nice BBS shave I did my normal routine and splashed the Osage Rub on my face and a little under each arm and thought to myself well it's nice but doesn't really live up to the reviews. I walked into my closet to grab my shirt and about that time it kicked in...............WOW.............the freeze hit! I walked outside to get in my car to go to work and the cold morning air hit my face and another wave of the chill hit me! WOW! What can I say......morning coffee has nothing on this stuff as far as bringing you to attention! If you have not tried this yet get some the price is certainly right and the kick is unbelieveable! This will be a permanent AS in my rotation!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have only been using Osage Rub for about a week, but I love it and will never part with it. The first time I used it, I was a bit shellshocked and just how much it numbs and freezes the face. It made any amount of razor burn disappear instantly. I am glad the smell goes away fast because it does smell like Vap-O-Rub!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Price: Great.

Quality: Really a high quality product. My only concern is that the scent isn't anything special and doesn't last long.

Fights Razor Burn: Remarkably good at this, IMO.

Cooling Sensation: Mmmmmmmm :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Scent: As previously mentioned, not its strong point. However, if you're looking for an AS that fades REALLY quickly and doesn't interfere with your EdT, this is it!

Efficacy: It does what it advertises!

No Alcohol Burn: I feel the burn is all menthol, and I love it!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Its dirt cheap, doesn't have much of a fragrence after the menthol evaporates except a very light powder scent, but boy howdy does it have menthol cooling! Its like sticking your freshly peeled face in arctic waters. You won't be able to tell if you have razor burn or not, heck, you could likely be on fire and not know it. I have to wash my hands a lot at work and can still feel them tingle hours after putting this stuff on every time I get them wet. Leaves the skin feeling really smooth, toned (and cold) and is perfect for Florida summers. If you live in the heat and humidity this is a must have.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
:cool:The best cooling sensation I have experienced. I don't think it is intended to moisturize, so I marked that as non-applicable. If I need moisturizing, I follow it up with a little proraso AS. A fantastic menthol rub. Ice cold!! I also found the customer service at the company to be unbeatable. I emailed them to find a brick and mortar near me that sold Osage Rub. When they couldn't locate one, they mailed me a free bottle!!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is so cold and lasts a while. Also nice just to splash it on though out the day if you live/work in the heat.

Price: Paid 6 and some change for the huge bottle, and you use so little.
Quality: Seams like good stuff. Generic looking label on a plastic bottle.
Fights Razor burn: Does ok here.
Cooling Sensation: Can I pick 11 or 12? Freezing Sensation is more accurate.
Scent: Very medicinal and lingers a bit. People will notice.
Efficacy: I wanted to cold and I really got it!
Moisturizing: I gave it a 5 because it is middle of the road, neither drying or moisturizing.
Alcohol burn: Its there!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Ohhh man. Day two of this stuff and all I can say is...Damn.

Price..cheap cheap from Texas Beauty. $4.38 or something.

I can't really CARE FOR the scent, it's like Vap-O-Rub, but gave it a 10 because it's definitely there, and if you don't mind smelling a little medicine-y, you'll love the scent, too.

I took my time with a super-sharp straight and some AOS sandalwood cream. Afterward, just a couple small splashes of this into my palm, then slap it around and slather on my face.

The countdown begi--WHOA!!!

If you've ever stuck your head out of a car window while driving 80+ on a freezing day, you might begin to realize how much of a cooling sensation this provides.

Invigorating, yes? Painful, maybe.

My face feels great after the rush has passed, so I'm giving it a two thumbs up!

It may not be the best moisturizer, or have a great smelling scent, but that's not what Osage Rub is for.

Osage Rub is a roller coaster ride for your face.

Again! Again! Let's go again!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff has great menthol action. As far as the menthol blast and fighting razor burn the stuff is good. Unfortunately my skin type apparently does not agree with Osage at all, not sure why but there it is. I don't have particularly sensitive skin either.
The next day after using it my skin always starts to peel from a load of dried out patches. So I won't be able to use the product in the future.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)