What's new

Osage Rub

Pros: Cooling, stimulating, refreshing
Cons: Scent
Fist let me say I love this stuff for the feel and effect it gives. The smell though is not too great and I would not want to be out in the world smelling like this so it's reserved for weekends or days when I am only at home.

Now I have an interesting story about this stuff that will give you a good idea about the scent.

When I was a teen there was an old guy in the neighborhood that smelled like this stuff and I instantly recognized the scent the first time I put some on. This guy used to be a boxer when he was younger.

Whenever you got near him he smelled like powder and rub A535 or some other muscle pain rub.
So I always assumed as a former boxer he was always in pain so he was using rub A535 and putting on scented powder as well to just smell better.

It turns out it was probably this stuff as the smell is identical.
There you have it for the smell.

The effect is cooling, bracing, stinging, numbing. And on a hot summer day I love it.

It would be 5 star if it weren't for the scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: COLD!
Cons: None
All I can say is DAMN IT"S COLD!! This stuff is great!! No shaver should be without this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Menthol
Cons: Scent
This product was given to me as it’s not easy to come by down under. I got more than generous sample to try it. As a result, I re-PIF’d some to others down under. I used the product here and there during the summer and that was a winner. I’ve been using it on a regular basis now to review it.

The product itself is considered to be one of the most mentholated products out there. I don’t have any doubts. It seems that the menthol is the main ingredient. I am disappointed in the scent as it’s this over powering menthol fragrance. It reminds me of Vicks Vaporub when I was a kid. There something like camphor in there and I always associate it to medication. There’s a slight (very weak) soapy scent and powdery (those are very weak).

On application it feels like I dipped my face in a bowl of water, snow and ice. This goes for a good 5 minutes post application. It’s not bad but the scent is really there and that wasn’t the best experience for me. It was so cold that I almost felt a burning sensation but that went away quickly.

The good news, the camphor/Vicks scent goes away after 15-20 mins. I now have a very soapy type of scent. The moisturising aspect works really well as I feel that my skin liked Osage Rub but isn’t greasy. Just right!

Would I buy it again? Probably not just because of the scent. If I have a cold and can’t smell it, sure, but then, I get a cold during winter usually which doesn’t push me toward mentholated products…
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Truly wonderful stuff, but Jeez, there should be a warning on the label. You may have to sit down the first time you use it. Still, here in hot sticky Texas, it is outstanding.:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Ok, so...

I have been reading reviews about the O' rub for about a year now, and was just undecided about getting it thinking AI and Floid was as cold as an aftershave could get. Well, last week I pulled the trigger on the O'Rub, and....

:yikes: OMG SO COLD :thumbup:

I love this stuff. It's dirt cheap, it feels GREAT during the summer, the minty-eucalyptus smell dissipates after about 10 minutes. Upon application, it had a sting for maybe 3 seconds, and then the cold really just blows your face up. In terms of cooling effect, this is what I would go to on a sweltering day. It's in my rotation of 4 mentholated aftershaves.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Fair warning, if you don't love Proraso, or Aqua Velva, or MTBB 10/10 mentholated shaving cream, or have never ordered menthol crystals, then this product might not be your cup of tea. For those of us who love that intense cooling sensation, this is the alpha and the omega. It doesn't get any better.

:001_tt1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Big bottle. Small price.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH THE BURN! :scared:

AAAYIIIIEEEEWWWHOOOOAAAAA THE CHILL.... :eek2:

ooooooooo, the tingles, the soothing... :001_tt1:

The burn dissipates pretty quickly, but the chill lasts and lasts. Dries down to a light, clean, soapy-eucalyptus scent that won't fight with other fragrances. Puts the kibosh on razor irritation in a hurry. Fantastic exhilarating splash after a shave or first thing in the morning.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Delivers a good ol' fashioned flash freeze face whipping. My go to a/s most mornings, can be used with cologne easily as it's scent is virtually non existent. Just got done shaving about 10 minutes ago and my face is still frozen - love at first menthol! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Let's say it's a must have for menthol addicts like me.
I tried Alcolado Glacial before, and i can say nothing freeze as much as Osage rub.
Your face feels like you went outside at -40 and your eyes gets watery.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I really love the cooling sensation this gives me. My wife likes the scent too.

Beware the plastic bottle. First of all, it is too tall to fit in an average medicine cabinet. I had to lay it down.

Second, I found out the hard way, today, that it is very "cheesy" plasitic. The bottle rolled of the shelf and fell about 20" to the sink. The bottom of the bottle split open and started leaking like mad. I was able to turn the bottle upside down, then transfer it to a jar. Not Good!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
This stuff has great menthol action. As far as the menthol blast and fighting razor burn the stuff is good. Unfortunately my skin type apparently does not agree with Osage at all, not sure why but there it is. I don't have particularly sensitive skin either.
The next day after using it my skin always starts to peel from a load of dried out patches. So I won't be able to use the product in the future.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
After hearing much ado about Osage Rub, I had to try it. I really enjoy the cooling effect it gives and the price is great! It seems to help with razor burn but I actually have a hard time judging this as I always use witch hazel prior to the Osage Rub.

If there was anything bad to say about it, it would be the fact that the menthol is so strong that it made my eyes burn. (No I didn't put it in my eyes :tongue_sm) But even that little draw back is easy to tolerate considering the enjoyment I get out of it. Yet the menthol scent doesn't seem to last very long. I would definitely recommend that you try this once.
It's a great way to start the day.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
+1
This is now my #1 after shave. I love the freeze that comes from this bottle.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Ohhh man. Day two of this stuff and all I can say is...Damn.

Price..cheap cheap from Texas Beauty. $4.38 or something.

I can't really CARE FOR the scent, it's like Vap-O-Rub, but gave it a 10 because it's definitely there, and if you don't mind smelling a little medicine-y, you'll love the scent, too.

I took my time with a super-sharp straight and some AOS sandalwood cream. Afterward, just a couple small splashes of this into my palm, then slap it around and slather on my face.

The countdown begi--WHOA!!!

If you've ever stuck your head out of a car window while driving 80+ on a freezing day, you might begin to realize how much of a cooling sensation this provides.

Invigorating, yes? Painful, maybe.

My face feels great after the rush has passed, so I'm giving it a two thumbs up!

It may not be the best moisturizer, or have a great smelling scent, but that's not what Osage Rub is for.

Osage Rub is a roller coaster ride for your face.

Again! Again! Let's go again!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff is so cold and lasts a while. Also nice just to splash it on though out the day if you live/work in the heat.

Price: Paid 6 and some change for the huge bottle, and you use so little.
Quality: Seams like good stuff. Generic looking label on a plastic bottle.
Fights Razor burn: Does ok here.
Cooling Sensation: Can I pick 11 or 12? Freezing Sensation is more accurate.
Scent: Very medicinal and lingers a bit. People will notice.
Efficacy: I wanted to cold and I really got it!
Moisturizing: I gave it a 5 because it is middle of the road, neither drying or moisturizing.
Alcohol burn: Its there!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
:cool:The best cooling sensation I have experienced. I don't think it is intended to moisturize, so I marked that as non-applicable. If I need moisturizing, I follow it up with a little proraso AS. A fantastic menthol rub. Ice cold!! I also found the customer service at the company to be unbeatable. I emailed them to find a brick and mortar near me that sold Osage Rub. When they couldn't locate one, they mailed me a free bottle!!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Its dirt cheap, doesn't have much of a fragrence after the menthol evaporates except a very light powder scent, but boy howdy does it have menthol cooling! Its like sticking your freshly peeled face in arctic waters. You won't be able to tell if you have razor burn or not, heck, you could likely be on fire and not know it. I have to wash my hands a lot at work and can still feel them tingle hours after putting this stuff on every time I get them wet. Leaves the skin feeling really smooth, toned (and cold) and is perfect for Florida summers. If you live in the heat and humidity this is a must have.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Price: Great.

Quality: Really a high quality product. My only concern is that the scent isn't anything special and doesn't last long.

Fights Razor Burn: Remarkably good at this, IMO.

Cooling Sensation: Mmmmmmmm :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Scent: As previously mentioned, not its strong point. However, if you're looking for an AS that fades REALLY quickly and doesn't interfere with your EdT, this is it!

Efficacy: It does what it advertises!

No Alcohol Burn: I feel the burn is all menthol, and I love it!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have only been using Osage Rub for about a week, but I love it and will never part with it. The first time I used it, I was a bit shellshocked and just how much it numbs and freezes the face. It made any amount of razor burn disappear instantly. I am glad the smell goes away fast because it does smell like Vap-O-Rub!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)