What's new

Osage Rub

Pros: Its green. It's menthol. It's green menthol.
Cons: It's green menthol
There isn't really a lot to talk about here. There is no subtlety or nuance to this stuff. It's green, it's mostly menthol with some alcohol and water in it, and it makes your face feel really cold for about 15 minutes. Then it's gone leaving a faintly medicinal scent behind. If menthol is your thing - and actually it works really well as an aftershave - then this is what you want. If you want something a little more sophisticated you can try Harris Arlington, or Kiehls Blue Astringent for a dose of witch hazel with your menthol. But as I said, it's green menthol and it's $6. About the cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks and wakes you up better than anything they sell.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: cost effective
Holy Frosted Face Batman!

So i had this on the shelf for a few weeks and didnt want to wait till summer to try it. (Still 20 deg and a foot of snow here)

The best way to describe the feeling is dipping your face is liquid nitrogen.

If Vicks 44 and Halls cough drops got married and had a baby, it would be Osage rub.

So after kneeling infront of the blower on my wood stove to warm my face bck up, i decided i liked it. My face was dry and tight. The menthol faded away. I really like it, but save for summer!
Pros: Utilitarian, Menthol, Economical
Cons: Alcohol
I've been using this aftershave exclusively for almost two years. Osage rub comes standard in a 14 oz. bottle with no frills. It won't fit nicely next to your class cologne bottles or your badger brush or your stoneware bowl. It is spartan in it's efficiency though. Just a splash on your face will render your face and hand numb for hours after your shave, which is either the best or worst qualities of this aftershave, depending on what you're looking for. For me, this compliments Proraso more than the Proraso brand aftershaves. I try to stick to menthol creams and aftershaves as I normally apply a cologne afterwards. This does have a strong menthol smell to it which dissipates in minutes. You know that fresh feeling you get after you brush your teeth? Yeah, this is the same feeling except it's your face. This is brutal in the winter time but perfect for summer. I had at least 6 different aftershaves in my rotation before I bought this and now it's my only one. I can't justify spending more money on something I have a hard time believing would be more bang for your buck than Osage Rub. My only gripe with this is it has zero restorative qualities.
hi
does anybody know if this is available in the uk?

i would really love to try this stuff
Yeah I went to my local Sally's today and the osage rub was no longer sold there. The lady at the counter said it was discontinued for Sally's stores. They did still carry some other clubman products, but not very many...and no osage rub! :thumbdown
kyo_clone;2063915 said:
I am looking to try it but i cant find it locally the closest Sallys is like 1 hr away.

Don't feel too bad. I checked at my Sally's and they only carry what shows on the website: Masters Bay Rum and Clubman. :mad3: Might need to put together an order from Classic Shaving for myself pretty soon...
I am looking to try it but i cant find it locally the closest Sallys is like 1 hr away. If anybody would like to sell me a whole bottle for a decent price please let me know. Pm me please if anyone has any offers.
I gotta have more menthol in my life!
First time user today.

Very impressive. My face froze solid for ten minutes :scared:

I could have used this last summer!
any idea where to get this in the detroit area?
Good point about the morning wake-up.

I even keep a small stash of Osage at work in my desk drawer. The rub is just what the doctor orders around 3pm - an invigorating menthol blast! It cures what ails ya.....

Long. Live. Osage.
You guys are real men to be using this as an aftershave.

Osage rub is not really made to be an aftershave. It's a rub! "Invigorating Splash" as it says on the bottle.

I use it on days when I'm not going to jump right in the shower, because it can be just as effective in waking me up.

To use: I go over my head and face first with a warm or cool damp cloth depending on the season.

Then, after doing that, I pour some Osage on my palms and lightly apply the rub to the back and front of my neck, lower face, and temples.

The slight dampness of the cloth to "prepare the ground" slows evaporation, so you get the tingling, but it lasts a bit longer.

You can do the same thing when you get home from work to "wake up" so to speak.
Add menthol crystals to Osage Rub??You are a braver man than me.
I love this stuff,:001_tt1:, but it's Face numbing cold to begin with,.... adding crystals would bring the face wind chill factor to -30 degrees.:ohmy:
mretzloff;1395600 said:
I love Osage Rub. I used it today with the My Time Bath & Body Menthol 10/10 shaving cream. Man, my face was freezing for over 20 minutes!

I wish Osage Run was colder :eek:

Are you really a Yeti?
Just used this for the first time. This stuff is AMAZING. Took about 30 seconds to fully come on, but man it is fantastic.

Didn't really burn, but I didn't have much razor burn.

This is PERFECT for hot, humid Florida summers.

After reading many reviews and really being hyped up with anticipation it didn't disappoint. Although I DID expect it to be a little colder and have more of a freezing effect (I am a sucker for menthol and anything that makes me ICE cold) I can say that it is by far the coolest splash that I've ever tried.

People that are looking for something that will really cool their skin shouldn't be afraid to try Osage. It won't kill you or make you cry. I did about 6-8 shakes into my hand and rubbed it all over my face and got a fantastic chilling effect.

Smells like a mix between Vicks Vap-O-Rub and Noxema but seems to fade quickly. My skin feels nice, tight and extremely refreshed. This is definitely a product that I will use forever. I don't think anyone living in a hot climate should be without this.
Sometimes I use Osage to cut AV -- the other day I used a 75/25 blend of Osage and AV after a post-workout shave. Better than any recovery drink for sure :cool:
Just ordered some from Atlanta Barber Supply. I've used them before so I did mot try Texas Barber Supply. Can't wait to try it since it is hot and humid here in the Ozarks.
I've kind of been looking for some of these products in local stores but haven't had much luck. I found Clubman at Walgreen's but have yet to locate Osage Rub, Lilac Vegetal, or some of the other brands. Any hints as to chain, mall-type stores that offer shaving products? The local mall doesn't have C&E, so that's out.
Texas Beauty Supply is where I've bought mine in the past. Their prices are unbelievably low. They also sell all of the Clubman hair tonics.

I think I did the ultimate freeze-your-face shave last night: Proraso Pre, QED Peppermint Soap, and Osage Rub! Wow! Talk about :cool:.
Is there anything colder than Osage Rub?
I know I saw this in a store somewhere... But I cant remember where. I guess Ill hunt around.
Top Bottom