What's new

Omega Shaving Soap

Pros: Provides a nice slick lather
Cons: none
This is very similar to Proraso and some say that it's the same but for me it's not. It has more of an opaque appearance whereas the Proraso is more creamy white. The scent is also different. That aside, it performs as well as Proraso and for the low cost, it's a real winner.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
michiganlover;1848077 said:
You should note, that you technically should not be posting reviews in the first place. Newbies don't have enough experience to adequately review a product, and if your lather skills are still in development, you certainly are not qualified to post a review.

I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you are the only person having issues with a given product, it's very probable that your technique is flawed, rather than the product itself being flawed.

According to Jim (one of the moderator's here):

"Effective 7/9/2009- Members are required to have 50 quality posts on the B&B prior to posting anything in the reviews forum.
Thank you- "

Also, I don't think the reviews area is an appropriate area to receive feedback. This issue would have been better handled in the soap forum, where discussion is encouraged.

In all fairness, I don't believe you should call anyone a newbie unless they first admit that they are learners and beginners. I turned to wetshaving 3 years before I joined this forum, and having to shave everyday mandated by my job... that's over 1,000 shaves that I did before I joined this forum only to be labeled a newb because of lack of posts.

Due to the fact that he said he even used bottled water means the user was experienced/wise enough to know that hard water/soft water have different physical attributes in their lather making ability, so it's not best to "assume" someone is always a newbie, even if they can't get a certain product to work the way described.

I understand this is an older thread but I couldn't help but throw in my two cents. Let's all be gents :)
This is a cheap classic, i love the smell, and it lathers up nice, leaves a very light cooling feeling on your face as well, dont think it has great moisturising propereties, but then again, any menthol cream/soap is the same for me, a great product at a great price, and easy to whip up a abubdance of lather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I got the black Omega tub new formula (without lanolin). Love the scent of menthol and eucalyptus. Great for fall and winter. My new Pakistani horse brush had no problem in generating a lot of good lather with just a little bit of product. Very good and slick lather. Loaded the Bump fighter handle with a Feather F2 and had a great shave. Razor glided very well, got as close to a BBS as I will probably ever get in 2 passes. I can see only one problem here: there's SLS and 4 types of parabens in it. Pity, otherwise it would have been perfect. But a great soap and one to try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
KWyKJJ;1847946 said:
Your response could easily have done without the salty "newbie" error comments. Next time read thoroughly and respond accordingly......Considering that there was not a review for this (that I saw anyway) it seemed like a good idea to get user feedback.

You should note, that you technically should not be posting reviews in the first place. Newbies don't have enough experience to adequately review a product, and if your lather skills are still in development, you certainly are not qualified to post a review.

I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you are the only person having issues with a given product, it's very probable that your technique is flawed, rather than the product itself being flawed.

According to Jim (one of the moderator's here):

"Effective 7/9/2009- Members are required to have 50 quality posts on the B&B prior to posting anything in the reviews forum.
Thank you- "

Also, I don't think the reviews area is an appropriate area to receive feedback. This issue would have been better handled in the soap forum, where discussion is encouraged.
Most likely you are not using it correctly. Every week there are at least a dozen threads with newbies complaining that they cannot get their soap to lather and nearly every time it's a case of user error. Omega in the bowl is like Proraso in the bowl, it's a soft textured soap, not a cream. It needs to be used like a soap and loaded with a shaken out brush and you need to load a lot of soap on your brush to get it to work. If you put water on the soap to let it get soft, you need to dump that water out into the sink after the soap has softened a little bit. Then load vigorously on to your shaken out brush until the bristle are so loaded with soap from top to bottom it makes a huge clump and the bristles will not move individually. Then you move to a DRY bowl, and start swirling, adding a very, very small amount of water at a time. You should be able to get LOADS of good lather that way. If not, you are probably doing something wrong, or you need to use distilled water because your water is too hard. Bottom line, you are probably using not nearly enough soap on the brush and way too much water.

And if by chance you got a bad batch, why bother posting a review? Bad batches of soap are very rare, but it can happen.
I bought this based on great reviews for the tube version but preferred the bowl, what a mistake. First, as i'm sure you noticed, the pictures shows this light fluffy stuff that looks like cream. I couldn't wait to try it being that it has eucalyptus and menthol. I opened the container to find a firm white swirly lump that fell from the container. Nope, it's not a cream it's a soap. That would be fine if it made any lather at all. I have put hot water on top of it to soak, tried three different brushes (boar, best badger, super badger) tried bottled water instead of tap water and still cannot get enough lather for a single pass. I tried lathering in a bowl, a mug, on my hand, face lathering, and still nothing. I find this absolutely unacceptable. However, this stuff gets great reviews on other sites! I'm wondering if possibly I received a bad batch. Its about as firm as a bar of dove soap and is nothing like the picture. I gave it a 10 for price because it was only $6. The smell is great, a nice clean smell with a very and I mean very light menthol scent. Smell it once when you open the container and your nose is used to it, you won't smell it again until your next shave. Latherability, efficacy, moisturizing all get extremely poor because it does not lather and is therefore useless to me. Packaging gets a 10 because the bowl is very nice, a decent quality plastic that is shaped just right for a good grip to lather in. However, it is quite small so some may find no use for it. Bottom line, this stuff is either trash or I received the worst batch ever created. Thumbs way down.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
So far this is the only soap I've used, and I really enjoy it. I knew before I got it that it would have an extreme cooling effect because it contains menthol, but, more importantly I think, eucalyptus oil. I enjoy the cooling but at the same time it can be too much in sensitive areas :eek: like my upper lip so if you don't enjoy that sort of sensation you may want to steer clear. It was super-easy to get a nice lather the first time I used it, though I'm not sure if it was quite as thick as it was supposed to be, being my first time and all. My biggest complaint is that it smells just like a bar of Dove soap, and it's a real turn off. I want something a little more manly and less.... I won't say mediciney, but definitely like something from an apothecary. The smell isn't something that would make me toss it out, though, and at $10US including shipping I'm really glad I got it as my first soap. :thumbup1: As a quick aside if anyone knows of any "manly" smelling soaps that are not too "old" smelling (I'm only 23) I'd really like to hear what you think via a Private Message.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
I like this much better than the green Proraso tub of soap. It is actually cooler feeling to me, and the scent is cleaner smelling. I can always count on a good shave with this. Just take plenty of time loading your brush, and use a matching Omega boar brush.
:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Can anybody post the ingredients? Thank you.
proxy.php

Price:
The price is ok. But for the money I would go for Proraso

Quality:
An ok standard product, but I do not think it can be compared to proraso

Scent:
Nice fresh menthol scent, not as overwhelming as Proraso

Lather:
Maybe it is my water - or my technique. But I have a hard time creating a decent lather with this soap. In comparison Proraso virtually explodes in my bowl. I have found that the Omega soap lathers best with a boar brush

Efficacy:
I need to pick up quite a lot of soap in my brush to create a decent lather

Moisturizing:
The lanolin content of this soap makes it much more moisturizing than Proraso - the only reason that I keep the Omega soap around actually

This is not a bad soap - actually it is pretty standard. But comparing it to Proraso is, imho, giving it too much credit.

Regards.

Jakob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
It looks, acts and feels closer to a cream than a soap -- or maybe halfway between a cream and a hard milled soap. It seems very tolerant of various soap/water ratios -- and doesn't "bubble up" even when excessive water is added. Very forgiving. It is dense, cushiony and long lasting, also very slick. It comes in its own handsome bowl and costs less than many pucks of other soaps that do not work (for me) nearly as well.

What's not to like? This soap deserves a much larger following, and its forgiving nature would make it my first recommendation for any noob wanting to graduate from creams to soaps.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Omega > Proraso. I guess it's the tallow that does it for me. Not as cooling or strongly scented, but I still feel it's a superior product. Can't beat the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
I can't believe this soap doesn't already have a review - the cream definitely does, but not this black-bowled little wonder (I apologize if i somehow missed it). First off - this stuff is almost identical to Proraso. If you like Proraso, you'll like Omega, and if you hate Proraso you'll hate Omega.

Price - Inexpensive, and you get a generous amount.

Quality - the soap is superb, the packaging unobtrusive and refined: nice basic black.

Scent - This was interesting. It's not quite the same as Proraso. In my opinion it doesn't smell quite as good, it's a little less refined and more menthol-flavored. I don't know if I could tell them apart blindfolded. It's an extremely subtle difference.

Lather and Efficacy - Maybe a tiny bit BETTER than Proraso? Supposedly Omega contains lanolin, which may provide the tiny boost in protection and slickness. An excellent soap regardless.

Moisturizing - not particularly drying, nor particularly moist.

Bottom line - an inexpensive classic.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Top Bottom