What's new

Omega Shaving Soap with Eucalyptus Oil

Pros: Strong Eucalyptus scent
Cons: none
I got this cream bundled with an Omega brush stand. I had low expectations since there were reviews saying it got worse with a reformulation, but I had never tried the original one so I can't compare.

It's a very good cream. The scent is a nice strong eucalyptus, great for clearing sinuses. That's not a joke, the scent is quite amazing. This can be good on some winter mornings to help wake me up. It lathered up quite effortlessly as I squeezed out an almond sized amount and whipped it up with a high mountain white brush. Nice thick creamy lather in a few seconds. I used a bowl and a damp brush and slowly added a few drops of water to build the lather.

I like the tube creams as they store much more easily and don't dry out as quickly. I'll add this to my daily rotation. It's not as awesome as my Musgo Real, but it is a close second out of my tube creams.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was my first shaving cream when I discarded my Mach 3 and Edge for a DE razor and brush. I couldn't complain about the price, $7.50 (shipping included). When I received it, I was surprised of the size. I thought it'll be about the size of a toothpaste tube. Instead, it was a huge tube! Rather than a plastic tube, it was tin or some kind of metallic material. Just like the Colgate tooth paste tube I remembered when I was a child. It produced a heap of thick and fluffy lather, and only a dab will do. The scent is clean and refreshing, and leaves your face the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't leave your face very moisturized. But that's what aftershave balm or cream is for.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
One of the best (and cheapest) out there. I happen to have a tub with lanolin, and keep it safe as if it is gold, only shave with it every now and then. Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I got the new formula, without lanolin. Love the scent of menthol and eucalyptus. Great for fall and winter. My new Pakistani horse brush had no problem in generating a lot of good lather with just a little bit of product. Very good and slick lather. Loaded the Bump fighter handle with a Feather F2 and had a great shave. Razor glided very well, got as close to a BBS as I will probably ever get in 2 passes. I can see only one problem here: there's SLS and 4 types of parabens in it. Pity, otherwise it would have been perfect. But a great cream and one to try
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
PRICE - I paid about $8 (USD) for a 150 ml tube of this cream, which seems like a reasonable price. Of course,it won't last as long as a puck of soap would.

QUALITY - I'm not in love with this stuff. It is chock-full of chemicals that I don't care for, including propylene glycol, parabens, camphor, and BHT. Nor do I like the "cooling effect" of the menthol. Perhaps this is a result of living in a cool climate, but I don't like my face to feel cold. Splashing cool water on my face after a shave with this stuff feels like dunking my head into a pail of ice water.

SCENT - Very strong menthol smell, which no doubt appeals to some but definitely NOT to me. Fragrance is listed among the ingredients, but whatever is there is overwhelmed by the menthol.

LATHERABILITY - This is the product's strong suit. A small amount of cream readily generates a big cloud of dense, long-lasting lather. I find creams generally easy to lather, but this one is the easiest. The lather forms easily, regardless of whether you use a little or a lot of water. Also, the lather comes in such profusion that I can easily get three to four passes from my small (21mm) brush.

EFFICACY - Acceptable, but not great. When I use this cream, I have to be more attentive to my technique than with most other creams and soaps.

MOISTURIZING PROPERTIES - No drying sensation on my face.

PACKAGING - The cream comes in a retro-styled beige and red tube (like a toothpaste tube). It's handsome in a utilitarian sort of way. The labeling is mixed Italian and English.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I got a tube of this from westcoastshaving for just $6.75, and the tube is huge. With the other soaps/creams in my rotation this will last me for years. This cream takes a bit more effort to get into a good lather than my other glycerin soaps (Conk's, VDH), and it doesn't quite have the same gooey slickness that they do. However the final squeeze of lather from the brush feels just as wonderful as others. Just don't over-add water as it will make the lather loose and thin.

I really enjoyed this cream's scent as well as its cooling effect. The aroma's strength is just fine, I really don't want to be slathering Vick's on my face.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I found this product to have a slight cooling sensation when applied to the face. It took me more water than expected to achieve a good lather, but once I got the correct amount I was impressed by how much lather it created.

I thought the scent was very nice and find it has stayed with me a few hours after the shave. Not a strong scent, but a very nice reminder of the product used earlier.
I must have 2 or 3 shaves left in my tube so it's time to review it.

This product is simply fantastic. Very comparable to Proraso but milder. There isn't as much menthol than Proraso. The Lanolin makes a difference too! I love the product and would buy it again if I can find it. That's the only minus, a bit difficult to find in Australia!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I couldn't agree more.

Great comments about a great product! Very smooth and never fails to deliver a fabulous shave.

Great names in their field; Merkur, Derby, EJ Pure Badger and Omega. To put them together provides an absolute delight!!
Proraso is my favourite, and this is basically the same...the difference is psychological.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've been using Proraso for 4 months or so; for the past couple of weeks, I have alternated between Proraso and Omega, and guess what....Omega is a better cream: the Scent is about the same, but to me, Omega is slicker and more moisturizing.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A fantastic cream on all counts. Lathers up beautifully, pleasant scent (if one likes a eucalyptus-menthol scent), doesn't leave my face dry, cushions the shave, no tugging or pulling while shaving, nice look to the packaging, and very reasonably priced. This is just an all around quality product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Well, I picked this cream up as an impulse by a day ago, and tried it this morning.
Wonderful stuff, nice freeze tingle when you put it on, very slick, great lather.
This cream gave me some of the best lather I've had in a long time.
Also here in the U.A.E it's amazingly cheap at about $2.50 or so for a tube which is pretty big.
As for moisturizing properties well, I didn't notice anything special but it didn't dry my skin out like some soaps do.
Great quality for the price.

All in all a great cream, truly wonderful.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I found Omega to be very similar to Proraso. Great lather and protection with a refreshing cooling sensation. Overall a great cream. Nothing to really set it apart from Proraso which is available locally so I'm not sure I would make an effort to track it down again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is great for the price. It lathers well, gives a decent shave, and has a touch of menthol. The scent could be better and/or stronger, but overall it's a very good product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Mustafa sold this for SGD4.50 for a tube. Very value buy for 150mL worth of shave cream considering it sells for higher in USD at online shops.

Lathers very easily with what I would term as rather copious amounts of water compared to Nivea. Eucalyptus scent is just about nice though I do like it to be stronger.

My wife likes the scent and the thickness of the lather. Anyone heading down to Singapore should go to Mustafa and stock up before going home.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
tryphon said:
Well, it certainly is made by Proraso, even the tub is the same. The scent is alsmost the same. If you place them side by side, however, you'll find the Omega is slightly yellower in color and, I think, a bit smoother.
I think Proraso may have slightly changed the formulation in order to maintain some form of product identity.

I too notice that it's smoother than Proraso. I looked at the ingredients, and there is one teeny tiny thing in Omega that isn't in Proraso: lanolin. It's obviously hard to gauge how much is in there, but it does make Omega seem a bit gentler on the face.

They're both tremendous creams. But I prefer Omega over Proraso.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
DCMandarin said:
Omega has become a well-known brand among wetshavers for their brushes--marketing a shave cream allows Omega a safe way to diversify their revenues.

Does anyone know if Proraso produces this soap for Omega? I've found it very similar, and I mean that as praise. With a brush and mug or without, just a toothbrush-sized dab of this soap has given me plenty of thick lather.

After making this part of my daily rig for a few weeks, I started becoming tired of the eucalyptus scent: At $6.95 for 5.2 ounces through Sesto Senso.com, you can't go wrong, and it will remain part of my rotation for a long time.

I got my tube of this from QED. I have never regretted it. As far as I can tell, this is the same formulation as the Proraso, made by Martelli.

This is a fantastic cream. It lathers easily, provides good lubrication, and does not irritate in the least. You'll note that I gave it 10 in two categories. Price and packaging. The cost of approximately $7 for a full 5.2oz. tube is unbeatable. The looks of tube are quite nice. I think it exudes a bit of art deco or even film noir look. I love it and it's so much neater looking on the counter than the green tube of Proraso. Overall I'd have to rate this as one of the best shave lather values period. My only really average score was the scent. What's there to say? It doesn't annoy me but really, menthol and eucalyptus? I'll take sandalwood.

Todd
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Omega has become a well-known brand among wetshavers for their brushes--marketing a shave cream allows Omega a safe way to diversify their revenues.

Does anyone know if Proraso produces this soap for Omega? I've found it very similar, and I mean that as praise. With a brush and mug or without, just a toothbrush-sized dab of this soap has given me plenty of thick lather.

After making this part of my daily rig for a few weeks, I started becoming tired of the eucalyptus scent: At $6.95 for 5.2 ounces through Sesto Senso.com, you can't go wrong, and it will remain part of my rotation for a long time.
Top Bottom