What's new

Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm

The Jade is a well balanced boar brush.
Same brush, better handle
I started wet shaving some 2 years ago and used a Proraso boar brush from day one. I consider myself an 'expert' now and wanted something better than the ABS handle Proraso/Omega. So I ordered this Connaught exclusive Omega brush.
The first thing I noticed – before the initial shave – was that on the new brush, the tips looked more split than on the old one. This was confirmed using a pair of magnifier specs. I believe it is visible in the picture (Jade, left) I thought splitting hair tips comes with use and makes the brush softer? I'm not sure it's just a different batch of hair or if Omega is preparing their knots in a different way?
Also the brush has zero branding, which is quite unique in modern times ;-).
I soaked the brush in hot water after applying some shampoo to it for a few hours, rinsed it with cold water and now, only two shaves later, the 'boar smell is as good as gone. Absolutely no issue.
I didn't notice any real difference in lathering quality between the old and new brush but for sure the handle felt more comfortable in my hands. I had the impression that this brush likes painting more than swirling but that is probably just because it's new. Yes, synthetic tips are softer, but I think I prefer the boar feel and the fact that 'no animals were killed' (for making the brush) quality.
The resin handle is some 5 mm shorter and 5 mm thinner at the thinnest spot than the Proraso. Jade 'structure' is only visible under strong lighting, so it's basically plain dark green.
A winner!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpeg
    IMG_6422.jpeg
    914.1 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: jmd and Markdad2
Pros: Well balanced boar brush
Cons: None
The Jade
An excellent brush. The Jade manages all brush duties with aplomb. It readily accepts and loads lather in seconds. A medium density knot. The 27mm knot is 29mm wet measured at the handle lip. It has 47mm of measured useable loft from glue bump. Second use the hairs continue to soften and split. It’s backbone is middle ground, providing a pleasant medium-soft scrub. It holds a nice footprint during use with comfort. Splaying is achieved with light smooth pressure. The 47mm loft is long enough to complete very smooth soft paint strokes without adjusting for short-loft-snap at stroke end, as with chubbies. The handle is comfortable as it fades into your hand while using. It is a good looking brush with a slight marbling in the jade colour. The Jade is the most well balanced boar I’ve used. The reputation it enjoys is well deserved. I have recommended this as a first brush to a few gents wanting to try a boar. I do not think you could do better.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)