What's new

Omega Big Boy Synthetic

The cheap synthetic Omega brush gets called Syntex or Sintex (mine has "Sintex" printed on the handle), but the big ones don't have a name, so I'm dubbing this the Omega Big Boy. While it may not look much bigger than the Sintex, it weighs twice as much. This is probably mostly to do with the handle I have. Omega sells the Big Boy in twelve different handled models (I don't know how much/if the loft and knot sizes vary between the models).

displayimage.php

Other than the brand, the Sintex and Big Boy are quite different. The Sintex has white, straight hairs, the Big Boy has waved and coloured hairs. In fact, you could well regard the Big Boy as the big brother of the Body Shop's synthetic brush. They are remarkably similar, to the point that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Omega is making brushes for the Body Shop.

It's not quite identical though. The tips are even softer than the Body Shop's, but other than that the fibres seem the same, the loft is slightly taller and the knot is larger as well. And this is where the Big Boy gets into trouble. The combination of the stiff hairs and the very heavy handle make it real hard work when making lather. It's not that it's impossible or anything, just that you need to use quite a big of force to get the brush to go where you want it to, and that's a shame. Making lather is supposed to be easy and fun, the Big Boy makes it into work.

Also, just like the Body Shop brush, this is definitely not for people who want to make lather on their face. The hairs are much to stiff for that, and you will need to use a bowl or similar to make lather and then paint it on your face.

Should you get this? Only if you love the way the Body Shop brush works and want a bigger version, and even then you shouldn't get the particular model I have, get one with one of the lighter handles (the one with the reddish handle, the "Havana" is lighter). For everyone else there are better synthetic brushes out there. I love how soft the tips are on this brush but that's about it and for the $40-50 this brush costs I was definitely hoping for something that worked better.

To discuss this review, click here.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips