What's new

Omega 10005 Boar

Pros: Boar, awesome lather, soft tips.
Cons: None
This brush shed a bit at first, but now it is the bench mark by which I judge all other brushes. I will occasionally try out badger, horse or synthetic, but I always come back to this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: pow0622
Pros: Perfect.
Cons: I have to go on bst to sell my other brushes.
This brush is perfect. I've used 7-8 brushes personally ranging from synthetic, to silvertip, pure badger, horse, and boar.

I didn't break in the horse hair brush so it may be the other one I add to my rotation (for $3) but I'm going to sell all my other current brushes (another omega boar, kent vs60 boar, frank shaving silvertip, vulfix pure badger, 19th century vintage staffordshire finest/silvertip) becasue none of them can compare to the shave nirvana this brings.

I bought it for 14.99 plus tax at my local shopper's drug mart, the wood style handle is really cool and I havn't ever seen a brush with it before.

Only negative is that mine hasn't fully broken in yet but after a few lathers and shaves I realized today I could never use a badger brush again!

The brush is firm but not stiff, soft, yet it makes a lot of lather and eats up soap like you would want it to. I havn't tried it with cream yet but I've heard it's better to break in a boar before you do that, plus I have so many soaps to try out.

I didn't do a categorical reveiw like others but if you're in Canada especially go down to the shopper's and buy it. If there were one thing to make me see god as true, it would be omega shave brushes..

And I truly mean that.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Soft, yet firm, perfect bristles.
Cons: None that I can think of.
It's my first brush, I have to say that this is amazing so far :). It lost a few bristles at first, but it's stopped. For my first brush I have to give it a solid 9/10 over all :). Great first experience.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: cheap, lathers well, nice soft tips
Cons: floppy knot, lacquer wears after a while
All up this is a nice cheap brush which you can’t go wrong with for the price. It comes very soft so does not take much to wear in. not as dense as ide like. The highlight of this brush is the big loft although i find it almost floppy; it lathers very well with cream or soap it’s great for face lathering. the handle is very nice to grip and is very nice to look at takes a while to dry more so than my Semogue 1470 ide recommend this to a beginner who'd like a soft brush but not a seasoned wet shaver.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Economical, lathers well, good quality
Cons: None
I've only been wet-shaving for about one month and so far have been using this brush exclusively. This brush is readily available at "Shoppers Drug Mart" here in Canada, and is a great first brush to the novice wet shaver like myself.

The first couple of uses the brush smelled like what I would imagine a wet boar would smell like, but the smell went away after a week or so.

I find that this brush lathers both soap and cream rather well, and can easily hold enough lather for my three passes, and probably enough for another 2 if I so wished.

I can't compare this brush to any other, but in terms of "bang for buck" I seriously doubt it would be easy to beat this brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Took a little while to break in, but I like it very much. The loft and handle shape make it nice and maneuverable, and the backbone and softness of the tips is just right.

Quality is another matter. When I received the brush,I found that the finish on the wood is thin, and was peeling away from the wood all around the area where the black trim ring meets the handle. Apparently the ring broke the finish when it was installed in the handle. Upon using the brush I found an area of wet, raw and unsightly wood all around the top of the handle. Solution: Let brush dry, gently sand off all loose finish and refinish with water-based acrylic, using a small, soft brush. I actually painted the acrylic part way up the black trim ring to insure a good seal. This worked very well, and the brush is now a pleasure to use.

But I shouldn't have had to do that.:huh:

Still, all in all, a good cheap brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
This is an outstanding brush. It is perfect in most every way. So much so, it could be the only shaving brush you might need for your entire shaving career. This brush is marketed by Omega under three different part numbers, depending on the type of packaging it comes in. You’ll find it sold as #30005, #10005, #80005, I just call it an #05.

My brush had only the lightest odor of stale moth balls once it was wetted for the first time. The smell soon dissipated after use and soon adopted the smell of what ever cream / soap that was used last. The handle is made of a solid chunk of beech wood and is well finished. It has none of the finish flaws that I have read that the Semogue wooden handled brushes often have. The shape of the handle feels good in your hand and the grip is solid.

The 24 mm knot is tightly packed and the loft is reasonable at 55 mm when taking into account the density of the knot. This gives the brush a 110 mm overall height. I do not find this brush in the least bit “floppy”. The bristles are un-dyed, and make no pretense of being “banded badger”. Unlike some of the less expensive boar brushes the bristles are not clipped. They will split with use and over time become very soft while still retaining a certain scrubbing ability. This brush works well with creams and has plenty of backbone for even the hardest soaps.

The only complaint that I have with the Omega #05 is that it is so densely packed at the base of the knot that it takes forever to dry. Often taking longer than 24 hours to completely dry. It was for this reason only that I ended up adding a second brush to my collection. With a typical street price of between $10 and $15 this brush is a true bargain.

DD
This is a well made brush & the size & overall appearance are very good. It makes lather very well. I have sold mine on after a couple of shaves as it was too floppy for my liking.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
This would be an excellent brush at any price and at $15 it is a stunning value. I have compared it to 13 others at <http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1991663#post1991663>
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)