What's new

Olivia Oakmoss/Eichenmoos

Impossible to produce lather, but the other characteristics are really nice.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought two of Olivia's soaps (http://www.olivia-seife.com) this one and the WM Sarubia (to be reviewed elsewhere) and deliberately bought one of her 'standard' soaps as well as the WM, because of the differing experiences posted by others about lathering ability.

Going over each review point:

Price: Very good value, only brought down a point because of postage charges.

Quality: High quality ingredients seem to be used, which is supported by the usability of the product. No excessive packaging.

Scent: While I would probably try a different one next time (partly just because I like trying new things!) I have no doubt that this would be a winner with those who appreciate a subtle woody base with hints of flower. I find that this scent goes well with my SCS lavender aftershave balm. I had a liberal dosing of post-shave lavender this morning but, as on other occasions, I'm still getting significant hints of Oakmoss coming through, which last throughout the day.

Lather: Here's where I differ from those who find difficulty in lathering with this range of soaps. Perhaps I'm doing something unexpectedly right (or wrong!) or perhaps the soft Scottish tap water helps, but I've really had no difficulty at all in whipping up a decent lather. I agree that it doesn't 'explode' like some creams, but it's definitely a good and durable lather. I simply soak my (Kent BK2) brush, shake off the excess water, start whipping a foam, dip the tip of the brush in the water, swirl some more, repeat a couple of times, et voilà: goodly amounts of nice, dense, long-lasting foam! Perhaps it just needs frequent 'feeding' with water at the start to get that initial burst of lather generation.

Efficacy: Superb blade glide; I couldn't ask for better.

Moisturising: Just superb! I have fairly dry skin and always finish off with a balm, but I would almost consider not using one after this soap. After the post-shave cold-water splash, the feeling of my cheeks (so to speak) is unlike that from any other soap or cream which I've used.

I'd seriously recommend this soap; I'll certainly be returning to sample Olivia's other products.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)