What's new

Old Spice

Pros: price, availability
Cons: none
For an alcohol based product, this has no burn for me. I'm assuming, from the other reviews, this is the product that is currently on drug store shelves and readily available. I find it delightful, and without a side-by-side comparison, it reminds me of the OS i grew up with. That being said, the thing I like most is its staying power. I like my AS to be my scent for the day. OS is one of my three go-to's (Clubman and Brut the other two) that provide hours of enjoyment, as opposed to the standard splash and gone.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic manly scent
Cons: None
It speaks for itself. Put this in your rotation and watch the old ladies blush and the young one squeal.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, available
I only bought this on a whim and am happy I did. The smell is mostly spice with a fair bit of floral, and those around me seem to like it. Great packaging too. It feels soft on the skin, and has only made my skin really tingle when I didn't do a terribly good job shaving.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fragrance
Cons: Alcohol based
I have been using Old Spice on and off since my Mum bought me my first bottle on her way back from the United States to England in 1963. When living in Paris 2002-2010 it was almost impossible to find, and extremely expensive (EUR 40) when I did locate a shop that had a bottle tucked away in a corner. This is not unusual in France -- it's also difficult to find foreign wines and anything with English on the package (though there may be a dozen or so other languages). I was annoyed to see it described as "cheap scent" by a rich criminal in LA Confidential. It would be nice to see it consistently on sale everywhere in the original bottle with original packaging. It's one of those classic brands that does not need tarting up. However, I now spend a lot of time in Hong Kong, where almost every retail outlet is limited to more soothing aftershave balms, so I have got used to Nivea's excellent Multi-Protecting Post Shave Balm, which is a totally different product. I look forward to buying a bottle of Old Spice in the US and remembering various episodes over the last half-century since I first wore it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Availible everywhere and affordable
Cons: No longer in a ceramic bottle
similar to clubmans original but not as sweet and dosent last as long. good musk not as overpowering as Aqua Velva
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic Old Spice nostalgia
Cons: Overpriced, smells too flowery, smell goes away too fast, no moisturizing properties
In Canada, the Old Spice Classic aftershave retails for 10-11+ dollars for both the small and larger bottle. I do not like the new smell, as it lacks the spicy scent of the Shulton OS. The new P&G version is much more powdery and the floral scents are more powerful -- making it smell a bit like mushrooms to me. I cannot imagine sailors today wearing the P&G OS.Compared to the Aqua Velva's, Brut, and Skin Bracer on the shelves next to it -- the P&G OS is overpriced and lacks the masculine aftershave smell and properties of the three mentioned.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Old Spice, a classic to be sure! Just picked up a bottle yesterday, and splashed a little on this morning, after my shave. It's a great a/s, not much else to say about it, that hasn't been said since 1938. I will say, the plastic bottle is lame, and the scent has change a little since I have last used Old Spice, but not enough to discourage me from using it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I like the smell - I also like that it doesn't last too long. As for price, I think it's a bit overpriced for its retail price - you can get them on sale sometimes, though.

It has a nice little sting that quickly fades. Seems to keep my razor burn in check. Doesn't dry out too much. All in all, a fun way to end a shave!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I'm reviewing the P&G. Havent tried the Shulton yet.

I love this stuff, not as cheap as the Velva but just as classic. My great grandfather always used to smell of oldspice and whenever I wear it, it reminds me of him, when I was a youngin, and he would call me his buddy. He was a retired steel worker, a man of few words,who worked hard all his life. So to me this scent keeps his memory close to my heart.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Like almost any AS splash it comes down to scent and this one I can say isn't one of my favorites. It's not bad, but it's just too overpowering. Probably my biggest gripe is that it lasts seemingly all day. I can pick up the scent of this stuff 10 hours down the road. If it was a cleaner, fresher aroma I wouldn't mind, but I can only deal with Old Spice so long! I also feel that this product is a better cologne than an aftershave as I didn't think it did anything to soothe or moisturize my face. Actually, it kept any burning/stinging I had to keep on trucking for a while longer. Even Aqua Velva doesn't do that. I almost always apply an ASB a few minutes after a splash to make sure my skin gets at least a little moisture, but it's very hard to find anything other than an unscented balm that matches this. Bottom line is if you like the scent than go for it. At least when you find it in the store you can open it up to smell it as neither the box or bottle is sealed.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I love Old Spice. I was a little hesitant getting back into using it, and then I cast all fears aside, and know I truly love it! It's classic, time tested and mother approved (or I probably wouldn't be alive!). I love the smell, the burn, and the smell of my skin burning! I recently turned a VDH soap into a VD-spice, and purchased an OS mug online. So along with the AS and cologne, I'm set to sail the seas on the Grand Turk...at least in my head!! To all those haters, put your "old man" baggage aside and become a man already. I'm 28 and have never had a bad complaint from anyone, even those I've heard talk smack about it. To me it doesn't moisturize or cool and burns like the apocalypse for the first 10 secs, but my skin is never dry, so I didn't want that to effect my percentage. Peace
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Smells great, layers well with the colgone. Ladies really like this one. Not a cooling type, more of a burn, but not bad at all.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I really like this stuff. Leaves my face feeling great. I find this is great at healing any little nicks and weepers. A wonderful scent to boot.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A classic in every sense of the word. As with most reviews here it reminds me of my father and grandfather. My father never smells of anything other than old spice or brut despite him having loads of top end aftershaves bought to him by my mother and sisters, he fairly sticks to his guns:001_smile Anyway back to the aftershave, it does what it's supposed to do, close down and tone the skin after a shave. It may not be the most moisturising splash out there but I find if I use a fairly moisturising soap, MWF etc, it does the job fine. As for the scent, a classic!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I LOVE this scent! To my nose this is more "spice" and less "powder" compared to the domestic (USA) formulation that we get from P&G. I have to say that it burns like hell, and doesn't really "cool", but the more pronounced clove (?) scent is simply fantastic. If you have a local Indo-Pak store where you live, definitely stop in and pick some up. I got lucky that I have a school mate from India and he brought me back a "care package". As if I didn't look forward to shaving everyday already, now I do even more so!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I find this a/s to be very good with a nice scent and well-priced. I get no razor bumps and soothes my skin very well. It doesn't really dry me out. The scent is very nice, very good for the winters. But it lingers a long time, so it's not very convenient if you want to wear a cologne.
It doesn't sting my skin so much as other guys mention.
Overall, it's a very good a/s with a nice, slight burn.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I got into my beef with Old Spice - as it is now - in the cologne review, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse here. This reformulated stuff isn't the same, and will never be as true as the stuff in the glass crockery. When I think aftershave, I think of something that has a fresh, barbershop smell, the kind of thing that seals up the pores. This doesn't do that for me. It just acts as a weaker cologne, the alcohol acting as the only aftershave agent, and in the end I'm underwhelmed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I remember watching my Dad shave when I was a kid, then sometimes he would splash a little Old Spice on my cheeks too.
He could not find any for sale near his home, and I found 9 bottles of 1988 vintage OS on the 'bay.
He has some now. He said the best reason he had for using it was that Mom liked it. My wife likes it too.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I had to try it. I hoped I'd like it. But the scent just isn't my bag. I was hoping for spices, woods, maybe something like a bay rum. But no, it's just a synthetic smelling "man" aroma- bags of synthetic musk, a touch of moss, citrus topnotes, but the synthetic edge overwhelms any spice. Not my cup of tea at all. Something thin about it too- insubstantial.

It's a tiny bit moisturising, but not enough for me- I added some glycerine. Otherwise works fine- I love alcohol aftershave.

I'll use it until I next swing by Boots and get some more Tabac. Then I'll donate it to a friend with tastes less refined.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Just purchased a bottle of new formula OS Original made by proctor and Gamble, new ones have a glass bottle again, instead of plastic, and the scent is a bit more spicy than I have smelt previously in the plastic incantation...

Tom
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn