What's new

Old Spice Shaving Cream

Item Description

That'll teach me to be swayed by nostalgia. I was at CVS picking up injector blades and saw, for .99 cents a can (!), Old Spice Shaving Cream. Heck, I use OS deodorant, after-shave, this familiar little red can could be a nice "emergency" can o' cream, right?

Wrong. This product makes Gillette Foamy or Barbasol seem luxurious. It's pretty stiff, and doesn't seem to penetrate the skin at all, but, rather, lays on top of it. A swipe with the blade just removes it, and it falls off in the sink.

And despite the listing of "fragrance" in the ingredients, the only thing I could smell was the propellant that jettisoned this product from the can. I could not detect one iota of the CLASSIC OS fragrance.

I can only assume they produce this stuff to get you to advance to their fancier, more pricey creams.

What a wholly unsatisfying product.

Latest reviews

I have to agree with the reviewer here and say that OS canned cream is a nightmare.

I've had the exact same experience - the cream is actually hard right out of the nozzle. It takes work to mold it onto the contours of your face and neck, and by then it has de-poofed into a thick mat-like substance that is about as useful as a backache for the shave. It absolutely clumps off your cheeks as you run the razor through it, leaving naked swaths like you never even applied cream at all. It has zero moisturizing qualities, zero fragrance, aside from a very muted ghost of a suggestion of some base note of Old Spice, and really, for .99 cents at CVS, the price is the only thing it has going for it. But by the time you're done using this cream, you'll need every penny of the money you saved on it for the healing process, which would certainly involve gallons of witch hazel, facials, and maybe even cosmetic surgery.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
This stuff is made in Canada under license from Proctor and Gamble.

Stiff lather, works OK, any Old Spice scent is extremely faint and fades on contact with air.

This is a completely soulless product. If you were sentenced to a Hell of bland shaving, the devil would hand you a can of this stuff at the gate.

I hate that yacht logo. I hate that the Old Spice name has sunk from great old tallow shaving soap to this completely unremarkable canned foam.

On a deeper level that I can't fully understand, this stuff represents a whole lot that has gone wrong in the world since the days of Shulton Old Spice.

Depressing, bland, demoralizing.

It does dispense a blob of foam that grows and mutates as you watch...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
This actually gave me a week of great, close shaves during a recent week at the beach. Not very slick, but does the job very nicely. Cost me 99 cents. Just fine in a pinch.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)