What's new

Old Spice Pure Sport

I found this at a local discount store in a bin with a bunch of other healthcare products, I remember reading about it that it had a nice scent, so I decided to pick it up. For $4 it was a no-brainer. This IS a review of the aftershave version.

I've used it about 4 or 5 times and have been very pleased with the performance. The scent out of the bottle is kind of strong, but once applied to the face it calms down quickly and leaves a nice, fresh, kind of oceanic scent. I like it, even though most of the scents in this realm don't do much for me.

Feels great on the face at first application. A slight tingle, but no burn so far, as I haven't really had any major razor burn to judge. It's not immedately obvious to me that it's an alcohol aftershave, but as I said, I try not to chop the hell out of my face.

After the dry down, my face feels fantastic.. soft and smooth. I usually give a cold water splash after my aftershave dries a bit, and I found this works well with the OS PS as well. I felt no need for a balm today, though that's probably more of a function of the great shaves I've been getting from my C&E Nomad soap... but, my face doesn't feel dried out at all.

This was a definate "find" and I'm glad I jumped on it. Effective, great scent, nice feel on the face and I couldn't beat the price. Oh, and great glass bottle too.

-Mason
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
As this is a cologne, not an aftershave, I marked zero's for the qualities that do not apply.

Price: Really good considering the quality and name. The bottle feels and looks like it's much more expensive than it actually is.

Quality: Very good, you get a nice translucent glass bottle with the blue cologne inside. Lasts for a long time. Putting it on in the morning, can still smell it into the late afternoon/early evening.

Scent: Very nice... not the usual Old Spice scent:frown:, but still very good. As I said above, lasts a long time.

Efficacy: Does what it's supposed to do. Smells good, lasts a long time, noticable.

Overall very good. I would definately recommend! :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
It probably wasn't an aftershave. OS Pure Sport is a cologne. Colognes can be pretty irritating to use as an aftershave.

Now, to the product review. It's a decent scent, an Oriental fragrance like the original Old Spice, with more modern sensibilities. I detect licorice and pepper in there somewhere, with an amberg/musky background. It is somewhat more monodimensional and less rounded than the original. I'm not sure this is a good cologne to wear if you want to stand out, unless you are older, because OS Pure Sport is pretty popular with young people as a deodorant right now.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting Old Spice would come out with something fresh or aquatic smelling, without the fruity top notes of theiir OS Signature lineup. This smells less avant-garde. To me a modern, sporty mass-market fragrance would be more like Brut Revolution. But all in all this is not a bad cologne, just not totally original- a cologne based on a body spray/deodorant aimed at young adults and teens.
I picked up two bottles of this on clearance at CVS for $1.95 a bottle. Smelling it straight from the bottle, it was quite agreeable, but once it when into "production," things took a turn for the worse.

I read the above comments and decided to pair it with a shave using Eton College. My nose couldn't make out the similarities. :confused:

I guess I was expecting a similar sensation to Aqua Velva...hey, they look pretty similar! :001_rolle Instead, I was met with a horrible burning sensation and an unshakeable stank that made me nauseous for the next 4 hours.

Scent (could be my body chemistry) and burning aside, once things subsided, my face felt great.

As an aside, I will revisit this product sometime in the future, but if things don't pan out, I do like the bottle's shape and delivery better than the Aqua Velva, so I might be looking for a tiny funnel to do some swapping. :wink:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is great, especially for the price. Being alcohol mostly, it has the cooling sensation, but burns a bit and doesn't focus on moisturizing. It smells very good, and helps get rid of razor burn and heal the skin. It behaves like your typical alcohol based aftershave, and smells awesome for the price. Added to my regular rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I've used this aftershave alot & it's cheap & readily available for me at the local Wal Mart. It works good if you like alcohol based aftershave, if you don't skip it cause it will ignite freshly shaved skin if you have razor burn or nicks. I think I much prefer the Fresh scent version of this aftershave instead.

...and...yeah it does smell kinda like Eton College. :wink2:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have gone through a couple of bottles of this stuff. I find for the price, it works well. I think the smell is really wonderful. I find it interesting that, since it's a 'special edition' I've been able to find it for quite some time. If you're looking for a great smelling aftershave with that familiar alcohol burn, you might want to try this.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I picked up this fine aftershave for 3.99USD at an after Christmas sale. The box featured garish lowest-common-denominator Nascar branding. The going price online seems to be about 8.99USD (for cologne as shown, at Drugstore.com).

I ended up buying this because something clicked in my head as I took a whiff. It bothered me the whole time home, and persisted as I placed it on the vanity with the other colognes..

Then it hit me. It smells like a shaving cream I have. JUST LIKE a shaving cream I have. A shaving cream I love. One that evokes images of wealth, elegance, royalty...

I started uncapping cream after cream and WHACK!, there it was. A big blue tub of Taylors of Old Bond Street Eton Shave Cream. I have now gone back about five times and checked. It's basically the same scent.

So, buy this if you want a shortcut to Taylors Eton Cologne. If you want to save a few bucks. If you just want to save your real Taylors for special days. Just remember to decant it into a nice cobalt blue bottle so the society ladies don't get the vapors upon seeing nascar aftershave sitting on your etagere...

(Oh yes, and like any Old Spice product, it's useless as a true aftershave. Also, the aftershave version of this scent seems to be a special edition. I can only find the cologne version via froogle searches. I'll leave it in this section because its the aftershave that I can confirm smells like Eton.)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)