What's new

Old Spice Original

Pros: Price and scent
Cons: None
I found a tube of Old Spice (Lime) at a local Indian Grocery. My first shave was an incredible experience! I also finished my shave with Old Spice after shave. I liked it so much, I went back and bought a 2nd tube.

I store my soaps and creams with individual aluminum screw-on cap containers. I squeezed both tubes into one container.

My tube came in a basic cardboard box--much like toothpaste--so no big issue for me.

I will definitely take this with me on our cruise in July.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent - but it was not what I expected
Cons: lack of cushion and slickness
Good product yet missing the original Old Spice scent. I recommend to use it for super/uber lathers as it does not provide with the protection and gliding characteristics needed for a good shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice thin lather and the fragrance
Cons: not ready to admit one even if there is one, because it is old spice
The nostalgia, oh the nostalgia. I don't know about you, but for us boys from India this is like a symbol of chrysalis from a boy to a man. Along with the old spice after shave this was like a symbol of gentlemanship among our earlier generation. Simply put the nostalgic and cultural values of this brand itself is quite overwhelming for me.

The lather is thinner compared to a godrej or a Vi john, but it is still great, the moisturising is ample in my opinion and the glide is never compromised because of the thin lather. The fragrance is FREAKIN AWESOME!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Found this on ebay for those who are wondering what is in this stuff:

Ingerdients for Old Spice Lather Shaving Cream:

D.M.Water, Stearic acid, potassium Hydroxide, Propylence glycol, Lauric acid, Myristic acid, Glycerine, Boric acid, perfume, sodium silicate soln.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Spice-Lather-Shaving-Cream-Musk-Shulton-70-gm-/290632372068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab0a0f64
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell, Slickness
Cons: None
This is a great cream at this price point. The lather is think, slick, and protective. I love the smell, but I can see how others might not. If you're not a fan of the classic old spice smell, then you won't like the way this cream smells. However, if you like the Shulton old spice smell, buy and horde this cream at all costs.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just posted about this cream in the "Fragrance" folder. I like it.

But it's too much money everywhere I see it. US $5 is not a great bargain and I see it going for more than that!

Quality is just fine. The scent is genuine and pleasant. It lathers beautifully. Frankly, I haven't found an Indian-made cream yet that I didn't really like.

Hey, I use the razors and blades of my choice and they work well with this cream. Can't ask for more.

This doesn't moisturize me much; neither does it dry my skin and leave me feeling chapped or burned.

The packaging? No problem. Cardboard and plastic are both recycled where I live and cardboard is bio-degradable in any event.

I recommend this stuff! :thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This product is an absolute must for any lover of the old Shulton Old Spice. An inexpensive cream that produces a nice slick and rich cream, the scent of which, is a nice strong nostalgic rush. Not as smooth or heady as other creams, but still high on the quality scale.

If you've ever wanted to shave with an Old Spice product, get this cream for sure. :001_tt1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Very nice product and I love the scent! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Nice to have and combine with the OS AS when in the rotation. A good cream, albeit a bit pricey considering it comes from India.

Recommended.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I received a couple of tubes of this from Media in a trade and I'm really glad I did. This is a really awesome product to use.

First I'm younger and my Dad never wore OS, he liked Brut, so I am used to the current P&G offering. I like the P&G offering but I'm sorry, this is what OS is supposed to smell like. The Shulton is rich and spicy with subtle floral undertones. The P&G is just the opposite.

Price; Cheap, if you can find it locally. A little goes along way.

Quality; Comes in a box, the tube is plastic much like a tooth paste tube. The cream is thick and smooth.

Scent; As noted this is Old Spice. The experience is warm and masculine and the scent is anything but subtle. The MB Aged Spice is similar to this one.

Latherability; Whips up easy to a slick lather with good cushion.

Efficacy; This cream does well in this area. It won't knock your socks off but its a more than capable cream. It really softens the beard very well though and is a solid inexpensive performer.

Moisturizing Properties; Not drying, not moisturizing.

Packaging; Cheap box, plastic tube, with a clean classic look.
I struggle a bit with this one. The cost is very reasonable (purchased from a local Indian grocery store) and the performance is OK (slick though not hugely cushioning) but to be honest I struggle with the scent. If this is what the legendary tallow-based Old Spice shaving soap smelt like when new I don't think I would have been a fan. Because of the age of surviving examples, the hard-soap version is often listed as having a delicate scent whereas I find the scent of this shaving cream to be quite overpowering (and yet I have no problems with the aftershave). This is the only soap or cream I've used where I can still detect the scent on me several hours after shaving (and seeing as I don't actually like the smell, this isn't a particularly good thing...).

I'm not sure what to make of the ingredient list as neither Glycerine or boric acid would be the primary ingredients (I gather it would be the standard mixture of palm oil and / or palm-derived stearic acid + coconut oil based potassium soaps). Obviously the packaging laws in India mean they aren't required to include a complete list of ingredients but this may also have something to do with why the soap isn't more generally available in the United States where labeling requirements are much stricter.

Not to my taste but if you're an old-school Old Spice fan, it could be one to seek out.
This is probably my fave cream. Have this one and the "musk" version.
Excellent lather, slick and cushioning. The scent is just awesome.
I ordered this from India as I am a fan of the old Shulton smell. In terms of price you can pick this up on Ebay for as little at $1.25

When it arrived I was not too hopeful. The packaging looked like a depressingly cheapo tube of poor quality toothpaste and the cream did not seem to have much of an Old Spice scent when you opened the tube.

Quite remarkable how the product turns out when used. It lathered up really amazing, I used an almond-sized dollop in my brush and got more lather than I get with many of my other creams that are 10 to 20X the price.

Once you actually apply the cream and add water the Shulton OS scent comes alive; not at all overpowering, just a very pleasant scent while shaving!

Lather is slick and moisturizing. I think the cushion is quite good, sure its not Musgo but its up there with all good creams.

I can't understand why this is not sold in North America and Europe as I think it would sell well with the rest of the OS range. I used this cream with the Indian version of Old Spice AS splash that I also ordered at the same time as the cream. Of course, the two go great together. Definitely will be part of my rotation from now on.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Old Spice fan since smelling it on my Dad when I was a kid. Fast forward to now and I get plenty "that smells nice" comments then shocked faces when I reveal the old school truth! Where do you suggest I get the shave cream? Many thanks!
Oh sweet nostalgia! Though I may be young I do remember the scent of real Shulton formula Old Spice. When I found this cream I knew that I just had to try it

proxy.php

Ingredients (only the key ingredients are listed on the package):
Glycerine, boric acid

Price
£ 3.90 for a 70g tube is not bad when considering it is imported all the way from India

Quality
Like most Indian creams this is a high quality product

Scent
Yes gentlemen, this is the Shulton formula scent - or alt least close enough for me not to notice any diffrence. If you are an Old Spice fan this cream will rock your boat! The scent does btw. work fine with the new formula P&G Old Spice Original after shave aswell

Latherability
Lathers like it can be expected by a glycerin based cream; not a lot of cushion (but still enough) and a great deal of slickness

Efficacy
Squeze out 2 cm and you have enough lather for a four pass shave

Moisturizing Properties
Ok, not fantastic. But it doesn't dry up my skin like many other soaps and creams

Packaging
A bit cheap and tacky, but it works

If you are an Old Spice fan you need this cream :001_smile

Regards.

Jakob

proxy.php

Discussion thread
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality