What's new

Old Spice by Shulton

I'm someone who has owned Old Spice from back when it was still sold in crockery - you know, the good stuff manufactured out of Egyptian sand. Back then it was a good to very good scent, but unfortunately just never my kind of cologne or aftershave. The new stuff now is sold in plastic bottles, with a kind of weird reformulation that tries too hard to trick you in believing it's still the same as the original stuff. Truth is, it's not bad, but I don't really feel it's all that good anymore. And the packaging, as classic as it may be, needs an update. I'm going from my background in graphic design here when I say that the red is getting tired. Sure, the price is right. So is the zest behind the staying power of this scent. It will hang with you all day if you use just enough, and unlike many things out there, it won't necessarily get to be too much. That nice spicy, clovey feeling you get with Old Spice doesn't outstay its welcome easily, that's for sure. But all things considered, I'd have to say that it's just a very mediocre drugstore offering now, and only a shade of what it used to be. For guys in their late 20s and early 30s, I'd say use something else to smell good. The over 50s can wear this just right.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I never liked this when I was a teenager or in my 20's but after reading these rave reviews maybe I should give it another try - its been a "few" ( :lol: ) years.
Topgumby;1437554 said:
The older stuff is harder to come by and usually spendier.

Is there a source to buy the old version of Old Spice, or do you hunt it down in older drug stores??
its a good scent but it dries ridiculously fast and has barely any staying power
one of my favorites... liked it even as a little boy...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
This is really two different products: The new Proctor and Gamble plastic bottle "classic" and the older Shulton glass bottle formula.

The new cologne is more floral, less warm and spicy. It's a nice scent, but I prefer the older, deeper formula.

I picked up a few bottles of the new stuff, on closeouts at grocery stores when it was going for a few bucks a pop...at that price, it ends up going in melted glycerin soaps, getting used as an occasional room scent (I decanted to a cheap plastic atomizer) and is often chosen for a night time application before bed, as a "comfort" scent.

The older stuff is harder to come by and usually spendier.

It's got staying power, and there is a line between enough and too much that is obvious when crossed. I think that a lot of the negatives Old Spice has garnered over the years has been earned through over zealous application.

I have had a few compliments on the new scent, and the old. In fact, I get more "you smell nice" notices from the ladies with Old Spice than other colognes. If I tell them it's Old Spice, they are always a little surprised, but I did have one lady at a party (she was a little tipsy) tell me I smelled like her grandfather...in a good way, ya know? (hic!)

Yes, it's old school, gets some negative press and has zero snob appeal, but it's a classic for a reason.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Doesn't go with any of my shaving cream scents, but that doesn't stop me from putting it on every morning.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
my top ten right here. the scent stays on all day, even in summer heat it gets better with sweat.
Smells like a mature gentleman.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
According to Basenotes.net, "Old Spice" has:

Top Notes:
Orange, Lemon, Spices, Clary Sage, Aldehydes.

Middle Notes
Cinnamon, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Pimento Berry.

Base Notes
Vanilla, Musk, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Benzoin, Tonka, Ambergris.
Price: Very good price for such a nice smelling, quality product.

Quality: Very good. Comes in a nice bottle, the plastic stopper bugged me at first, but i've come to like it... It does not come off while travelling and it is quite convenient.

Packaging: Not really sure what is meant by this, but it comes in a nice, red shiny box. Inside the box is a white bottle with a white stopper. Very solid and nice overall

Scent + Complexity: Remeniscent of Old Spice, it is very good. I am going to quote directly from OldSchoolYoungin: "In spite of Old Spice being a common drugstore fragrance, it's complexity is very impressive and it's hard to place individual notes. It's very deep, rich and creamy. Spices, powder and vanilla are the main notes that jump out at me, along with a very fresh and nearly aquatic backdrop. Normally, I'm fairly good at picknig out particular notes in a fragrance, but this one meshes so well together that singling out anything is fairly difficult. It has a warm, heady and robust feel to it, reminiscent of "Oriental" genre frags."

Staying Power: I put it on in the morning, with the Old Spice aftershave, and there are still hints of it into the late afternoon/evening. Very good for such a cheep product.

Quality of Atomizer: None included, as it is a splash cologne.

Overall, it is very good. Would definately recommend it!:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Bewildering that there are no reviews of this classic!

This is the review for Old Spice by Shulton, not P&G. Not everyone agrees, but the older stuff is noticeably different to my nose. Perhaps because it has been sitting and has therefore "aged", I don't know for sure.

I am prompted to write this review as my father wore Old Spice as his daily, and for a while now I've been doing the same and love it more with each passing wear. I was digging through some of my father's stuff today, and came across a bottle of Old Spice that a friend of his gifted him when I was born 23 years ago. I see this being my everyday frag for quite a while longer now.

In spite of Old Spice being a common drugstore fragrance, it's complexity is very impressive and it's hard to place individual notes. It's very deep, rich and creamy. Spices, powder and vanilla are the main notes that jump out at me, along with a very fresh and nearly aquatic backdrop. Normally, I'm fairly good at picknig out particular notes in a fragrance, but this one meshes so well together that singling out anything is fairly difficult. It has a warm, heady and robust feel to it, reminiscent of "Oriental" genre frags.

I find Old Spice suitable for any time of year and for any occasion. I've garnered only positive compliments, with many seemingly surprised when they ask what I'm wearing. I don't think I'm the only one who experienced Old Spice as their first cologne and/or aftershave, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is reminded of their father or grandfather after using it.

If you haven't had the opportunity to try Old Spice, shame on you! I believe every man should experience it atleast once :w00t:. I recommend picking up an older bottle online, as the new one is not as robust and does not have the lasting power the older formulation has either. Older bottles can normally be picked up for between $15-20, a clear bargain for such a classic, nostalgic fragrance.

A must-try for anyone!

Here's the discussion thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=635181#post635181
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)