What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum's Creamy Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns Bath Soap and Sham

Harleyfrog,

You talk about lathering in the hair, fine, but how would you rate it as a shampoo bar?

Also, have you used it as a shave soap in the shower?

Thanks,
Dennis
Ever since I got my bottle of Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns aftershave from Ogallala Bay Rum, I wanted to literally bath myself in the scent. Now, with OBR's Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns Bath Soap and Shampoo Bar, I can.

Packaging

Packaging is pretty basic: a box with the bar wrapped in paper; little waste, which I like. The back of the box reads:
Ogallala of Lonesome Dove fame, (we were the house of ill repute town) liked their menfolk clean . . . and smellin' good in a manly sort of way. Lets face it - trailin' cows for a thousand miles puts a different kind of smell on a man and this here soap takes it offa him.

No animals were used in the testing of this product - just dirty cowboys.

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glyderin, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Shea Butter, Sorbitan oleate, Soybean protein, Titanium Dioxide, Coloring and Fragrance (proprietary blend including essential oils)

Price

$4.50 + shipping per bar (and John always encloses a nice freebie)

Quality

As you can read from the list of ingredients, this made with stuff you can actually pronounce. Basically, this is the same recipe as the shaving soap, but without the bentonite clay.

Latherability

I gave this a 10, but there are some caveats. Hand lathering was average (about the same as commercial soaps). Lathering with a wash cloth was much better, but using a mesh body sponge produced the best lather, on par with the shaving soap with a brush. Hair lathering is best achieved by thoroughly wetting the hair and rubbing the bar over the hair, then lather as usual.

Moisturizing

On par with the shaving soap, very good. The shea butter left my skin smooth without overdrying it. As for the hair, it's hard to tell since I have oily hair and don't need much in the way of moisturizing.

Scent

If you've smelt OBR's Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorns aftershave, the scent is the same. For those who haven't, the top note of lime wraps itself around you the way only a good citrus smell can, while the warm and spicey scent of the bay and peppercorns intoxicate you like ambrosia. The perfect summer time scent.

As strong as the scent is on the bar (and in the shower), it dissapated quickly on the skin after rinsing off so no worries about overwelming others around you.

Efficacy

One down mark here simply because hair lathering is a little tricky at first.

Overall, I give this a very high recommendation, especially for those who like to layer their scents.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)