What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum

Pros: Scent
I wanted to get into the world of Bay Rum, so I chose this one as my first. I absolutely LOVE the cobalt blue bottle and the nostalgic look of the label.

I didn't use a separate witch hazel, since it is my understanding that the product has witch hazel as one of the main ingredients. The first time I used it, I merely patted some on my face father my cold rinse. The reviewers weren't kidding when they talk about the burn. It's not alcohol burn, but it definitely is strong. It felt almost as if I had put icy hot on my face!!

The second day I began cutting it with my Nivea for men aftershave balm. Problem solved. I still feel a little warmth, but it is nice as opposed to painful.

My wife also likes the "Woodsy" (her word) smell. I think she is actually referring to the clove smell that is so often talked about in these reviews.

In short, I would recommend abstract you at least try this product once. I myself will prolly be purchasing more items from Ogallala in the future.

Great shaves to you.

Nate D.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
D
This is a must try. With the aftershave, cologne, and double strength options - you can dial in the potency / staying power. The scent is delightful, little or no burn, doesn't dry the skin, reasonably priced, and each batch is uniquely made by hand. Any bay rum fan must try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
All that i can say is that it's a great Bay rum , and a natural one.
The ingredient list is quite small, it only contain witch hazel, alcohol and bay rum oil.
The scent is great , if you like Pinaud Bay rum you will love this one, it's very clovy.
When you apply it there is a burn but it fades away quite quickly and leave your skin feeling great.
The only down point i found is that the scent doesn't last very long,
but that's another thing, i might buy the special reserve cologne that is said to last longer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I got this because I wanted something far from the aqua di gio world and old school masculine, you know the right stuff.

I got 8oz of the bay rum and Sandalwood version after shave and 6 oz of the bay rum cologne. I also got 3 freebies. The 2 oz lemon and peppercorn, 2 oz regular bay rum after shave, and the air freshener 2oz were all free, so that was an unexpected reward.

Ok, so I'm brand new to the bay rum world, and read many reviews that led me to Ogallala. My first impressions were that this stuff was strong.....or potent might be a better word. Not for sissies is a good description of my initial response.

I can really see this as being the smell of manly men. I'm from Texas, so I can really appreciate this one.

I like all the other scents, particularly the regular bay rum, but my favorite is the bay rum and sandalwood.
Great stuff. Burn varies from bottle to bottle it seems. Cannot beat the customer service!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Right now I only have 2 Bay Rums I like, Dominica and of course Ogallala. I will do my best to compare the 2 as they are my personal favs. Ogallala has a bit more tart smell too it in the bottle. Dominica has a more sweet subtle swell with kinda of a warming sense to it. On the skin I swear after 5 minutes they smell the same. Ogallala burns like no other, of course both do but i think it does more than Dominica, just not as much. As for staying power all bay rums fade which could be good or bad. My GF likes the mainstream colognes. After using this 30 minutes later i can spray on my polo black and never know i had bay rum on first. An hour after using Ogallala you might still smell it on your hands. Dominica is gone in 5 mintues, no matter. I like both but I feel Ogallala will be my go to. Other than that I just can't pick one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
This is my first review on here because I felt like I would be doing a disservice to John at Ogallala Bay Rum if I didn't post about how much I like this aftershave. First let me say that the service I received was excellent, I received a personal email from John not long after placing my order letting me know it was received, that my business is appreciated, AND that I would be getting some extra free samples with my order...what more could you want?

Beyond the great service is a great product. The price while I felt was a little bit higher then I would like at first is more then worth it after using this aftershave on and off for the past month or so. 10 bucks for a 4 oz bottle of this stuff goes a long way.

Quality - Great, comes in a very attractive blue cobalt bottle that I'd love to keep out on display.

Fights Razor Burn - This stuff does wonders to soothe my skin after a shave. It contains Witch Hazel which I normally use in my post-shave routine anyway, so even better that it is combined with this fantastic smelling aftershave.

Cooling Sensation - Not applicable here as it is not advertised to be cooling in anyway.

Scent - I already mentioned that I LOVE the scent. It took a couple of uses for it to really grow on me but now I really love it (and my girlfriend does too). This is my first Bay Rum scented product that I have purchased and I am very pleased.

Efficacy - As you can already see from what I wrote above, it does a great job fighting razor burn and leaves my skin feeling great after a shave.

Moisturizing - It is an aftershave splash not balm or cream so it does not have the same moisturizing properties that would come with those products. However, it does not dry out my skin in anyway, so don't be afraid to try it if you have dry skin.

No Alcohol Burn - Depending on the quality of my shave that day this stuff can burn like heck for the first 5 or so seconds after I splash it on my face...this quickly fades into a nice soothing feeling of relief. Lets just say it is well worth any burn you may get.

Overall I am very happy with Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave and will definitely be buying more (and a bigger bottle) when I run out. Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
PRICE - It's not the most or least expensive, but it's the product that is most worth the price that you pay.

QUALITY - Packaging is nice, but the most important thing is the AS has great ingredients.

FIGHTS RAZOR BURN - This soothes and calms ANY irritation I have after shaving, whether from razor burn or sensitivity to other products - it makes my face feel good!

COOLING SENSATION - It doesn't have menthol, eucalyptus or mint like other products (which irritate my skin) so it doesn't make my face feel cold, but it doesn't make my face feel warm like some products do, either. It just feels very comfortable.

SCENT - Wonderful Bay Rum Scent.

EFFICACY - This does exactly what I want an AS to do. It calms and soothes my skin immediately, soaking in and immediately disappearing. No tackiness, oiliness, greasiness. Just a nice matte finish on my face.

MOISTURIZING - After applying Ogallalla, my face has is nice and tight, and doesn't feel dry at all.

NO ALCOHOL BURN - None. And I've experienced burn from enough other products to know what this can feel like.

Again, I've searched for the perfect product to make MY face feel good after shaving, and I've found it in Ogallalla. Everyone's face is different, but IMO, this is a must try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is my favorite Bay Rum aftershave. Notice I said aftershave. Pinaud Bay Rum is still my favorite Bay Rum, it is not meant to be a true AS, though that's what we all use it for.

There seems to be a lot of effort into making this a quality, refined aftershave, and it shows not only in the bottle and formula, but in the costumer service you get from the Ogallala company. You walk away with the feeling that these folks want to satisfy you at all costs, and it makes my appreciation of the product that much more enhanced.

On to the formula itself. The smell that you get from the bottle is not indicative of the way it smells on your person. I had my reservations the first time I tried it, but they went away as I wore it. It's a spicy, robust Bay Rum scent; more organic than the Pinaud compound without the slightest hint of synthetic. Earthy, musky, yet a cinnamony note is the base.

As an aftershave, this provides none of the sting that you get from the Pinaud. There is some slight burn, but nothing an experienced alcohol splash user isn't used to. The moisturizing qualities are surprisingly abundant; try as I might, I can't get this stuff to dry my skin out. And it lasts, too. Several hours later I'm still catching whiffs of it.

The label bills it as an aftershave, pre-shave and skin toner. I'm not sure how it performs in the pre-shave department, but as an all around toner it does its job.

I give it a nine out of ten. If you're new to Bay Rum, this and Clubman BR are your two required Bay Rum purchases. All others should be judged accordingly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
this stuff is great,a wonderfull smell and very quick shipping to the uk ,and free samples .i had very little idea on what to expect as bay rum is rare in the uk.i have had comments on smelling like gingerbread and that can only be good (er i think)and it comes in huuuuuuugggggeeeee bottles ,please get a uk disributor as this stuff is fantastic and does not reek of cloves .
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
My favorite A/S. For the price, you can't get any better than this.

Simply good stuff in here, just read the ingredients; Witch Hazel, Alcohol and bay rum essence. Simple and it works. leaves my skin feeling nice all day and doesn't aggravate my oily skin (likely due to the alcohol, but I have issues with some aftershaves and balms adding too much oil.) I wouldn't say there's much of a cooling sensation, but it also doesn't cause me any real alcohol burn so long as I didn't press too hard and get any razor burn. I rate all alcohol aftershaves as 5 here. They're alcohol based; if you shaved too close, they will burn.

It smelled great the first time and I seem to like it a little more each time I use it :001_smile. It isn't like many other products that try to overload your senses with a hundred scents. It's a pure, lightly spicy scent that hangs lightly for several hours. Some will like it, some won't. I like it, so it gets a 10.

A great aftershave that everyone should try (or at least smell) at some point.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
110% over-the-top phenomenally best smelly stuff ever. Seriously.

Oh, and "hellfire" is right. The combination of alcohol and clove is absolutely the most harrowing experience of your shaving life, for the few seconds until the anaesthetic properties of the clove oil kick in: hence the "0" for "no alcohol burn".

I'm puzzled by the reviews that say it had low staying power, as I will smell it lightly all day long. In fact, it's quickly become my favourite because of its flat drying profile: it doesn't have to start out "way too much" to leave you with "detectable" at the end of the day, but stays pretty much "Mmmm . . . you smell nice" all day long.

The witch hazel base is luvverly, though it necessitates vigorous shaking to suspend the oils before use (they collect in a globule at the bottom of the bottle). I guess they figured it was already "burninating" enough, so additional alcohol to fully dissolve the EOs would be counter-productive.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I got a bottle of Bay Rum for a steal through one of Ogallala's special offers. They often have special deals and offers, so the price really can't be beat! Customer service is top notch as all of my eMails were responded to quickly. As a bonus, Ogallala always gives you a nice freebie.. and I don't mean a packet of hand lotion or anything.. they give you a real substantial gift.

According to my wife, the scent smells of "Christmas" and Potpourri.. it smells rather nice but can be a bit overpowering if you splash on too much. I had a very difficult time with the burn.. although I haven't encountered a more severe burn from an Aftershave, I'm sure there are some out there (like Tend Skin) that burn much more. The burn is nice / borderline painful.. like another reviewer mentioned, I can splash this on unshaved skin and still get a pretty bad burn. I'm sure there is a cooling sensation, but it is entirely masked by the burn. Aside from this, the Aftershave does a good job of tightening and conditioning the skin.
-\Visdom
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I ordered the Bay Rum & Sandalwood version of the splash from the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago, and I use it about every other day. I love the scent, and the witch hazel makes for a very soothing splash. If you want the scent to last longer, use a just a little more than you might think. This stuff is great, and I'll be ordering more!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I got the sample pack from John with the bay rum, sandlewood, and bray rum + lime.

I wasn't a fan of this at first but my girlfriend seems to like the bay rum scent in this stuff.

There's something I don't like about it but I can't figure it out and there's something I love about it but can't figure it out either!

I don't get alcohol burn and it's got some moisturizing properties.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I received a sample of this, along with a Sandalwood verision. I like 'em both. The bay rum scent is nice, not very clovey at all (which I like) -- I agree with the other reviews that it's not a super-long-lasting scent (maybe 1 hour on the strong side), but I continue to catch the occasional whiff all day.

It also pairs nicely with the Ogallala soap, which is an excellent performer.

Whereas I get burn from a lot of alcohol-based aftershaves, I get virtually no burn from this, only a soothing tightening. I suppose that's because the first ingredient is witch hazel. In any case, I'll be getting more of this, along with the other 'flavors.' Great stuff.

:thumbup:

Tony
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I received a sample of this from their eBay site. I really wanted to like this enormously, but I must tell, I was not overwhelmed.
It has the shortest staying power (Conservatively maybe 1 hour at most) of other Bay Rums I have tried, i.e. Bigelow's Bay Rum Aftershave Balm, Pinaud's Bay Rum, Master Bay Rum.
The scent was a good, nothing stood out good or bad. It was just ok, nothing distinguishing.
It did burn after my shave, I assume from alcohol, though no ingredient list came with sample. I did not find it very moisturizing, nor did it have much of a cooling sensation.
It is reasonably priced at about $20 w/ shipping.

John
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I picked some of this up on e-bay a while ago.

It smells great but burns like the dickens. I think it may be clove oil that was contributing to the burn. It would not only burn on the face but also on the chest if applied as a cologne.

The seller mentioned to me that he was reformulating the product because it was a mite strong. The current product may be toned down a bit. I diluted mine down and use it as a cologne.

I also tried mixing it with some Old Spice, which made the Old Spice more distinctive, enhanced the longevity of the Bay Rum, and toned the burn down.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Brand new member - may as well dive in.

This is my current aftershave of choice. Coming from an unlikely origin (Nebraska), Ogallala Bay Rum is bottled in beautiful cobalt blue glass in your choice of shapes and stoppers. I ordered the glass stoppered version and it arrived in short order - and had leaked in the box. That cork just doesn't provide much safety for travel via the mail.
I personally am very fond of the Bay Rum scent though it isn't for everone. Compared to, say, the Dominica brand, Ogallala is much sweeter and lighter. It is also much lighter than Penaud. I personally find it very soothing and without burn. The scent is very nice though it dissipates quickly. The latter is a positive for me as I prefer that my own scent not be announced to others.
All in all I think it's a fine aftershave in a really beautiful bottle.

Ogallala Bay Rum
Top Bottom