What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum Soap

Pros: Smells awesome and moisturizes well
Cons: Hard to lather
Maybe I had a puck from an inferior batch formulation because although the scent to me was very pleasant and the moisturizing was great, I found the lather to be difficult to whip up. I wouldn't rule out this soap for the future but for now I'll stay away from it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice scent, not difficult to lather, shapes into a container very easily
Cons: not very protective, does not last long
First two shaves were amazing. The soap loss most of its glycerine (looks like sweat drops) and the overall performance of the soap immediately goes down the hill. Tried different pucks leaving them always covered, uncovered and no dif. I add a couple drops of glycerine and a reliable cream to use the product but will not buy again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: All.
Cons: Availability, Fear of discontinuation.
Since I am a newbie with little experience under my belt, I simply wish to share my opinion in hope that it will help and guide others as much as possible. In a nutshell, the Ogallala Bay Rum soap excells in all categories. It's simply fantastic! 1-Quality: The soap, once removed from its careful wrapping, smells and feels like its worth hundreds of dollars: distinctive and unique smell, while the soap puck feels like cream that has been somehow transformed into solid form. 2-Price: Although It costs 7CAD from an online canadian store (compared to 3-5 USD elsewhere), it is well worth it. No doubts and no regrets. 3-Scent: The proprietary smell is absolutely mesmerizing! I have the original variety (they have multiple flavors). The beautiful and strong odor of cloves fills my washroom very quickly. 4-Lather: I melted the puck in the microwave (as instructed on the box) and poured it in my vintage shaving mug. It lathers up very fast and effortlessly. Very user friendly, the lather is unbelievably creamy! 5-Efficacy: Provides a wonderfully pleasant cushion and glide to the face. Hardly any residual film after regular rinsing-rinses right off with no rubbing. 6-Moisturizing: Average, nothing fancy, does not work magic. 7-Finally, FUN: In my honest opinion, the grade of this product is fit for kings. It enhances the shave fun factor exponentially! My little treasure. ///// All the best. Carlo.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: I LOVE the cloves in this warm scented bay rum.
Cons: The soap quality is lacking IMO.
I really love Ogallala's scent A LOT but the soap just didn't preform as well as I would have like.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I bought two pucks from Phil at Bullgoose. One of the Bay Rum and Sandalwood and one of the Sweet Orange. I tried the Sandalwood this morning and was I ever pleasantly surprised. About 20 rubs with my Shavemac and I lathered directly on my face. Lots of lather. Slick and creamy. the scent was there but not over powering. I used my Merkur classic with a 3 times used Wilkinson and the shave was as close as any I have ever gotten. No irritation. I like this even better than the Tabac. A superb value.:001_tt1:

10's around. Can't wait to try the Orange tomorrow
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I tried that soap for the first time this morning and wow,
there is no cream or soap that i tried so far that beats the superb lather that this Ogalla soap create.
It makes a thick, rich and moisturizing lather and it got that great Ogalla Bay rum scent.
When i first got the soap i melted it in the microwave for about a minute, until the soap got totally liquid and after i transferred it into my shaving mug, the soap got rock solid an hour after and took the shape of my mug, so no spinning soap problem whit that , it takes the form of your mug.
I highly recommend it to any Bay rum fan and will definitely buy it again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Tonight I shaved for the first time with Ogallala Bay Rum and Lemongrass.If you haven't tried this soap, you really should pick some up. I got mine from Bullgoose and used a double boiler on low heat to melt it into an aluminum soap can. I used an EJ Best badger and had an absolute mountain of lather. I had to re-read the ingredients, looking for tallow. I was pretty sure by the refreshing smell that I hadn't mistakenly mixed up my Tabac for the Ogallala . . . Anyway, I am very impressed with this soap. I had a beautiful, fresh scented lather with lots of lubrication and a very smooth WTG,ATG straight shave. This soap has pushed the Col. Conk Bay Rum to the back of the pile for both quality and scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
where can I buy it?
Price n/a, as I got a free sample of this.

Lather, outstanding, and I get a great shave with this.

For me, it's the scent that's the deal killer, very unpleasant. I honestly can't understand how anyone would like this, and yet some obviously do. To each his own, I guess.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price: this is a 12. ten bucks gets you over half a pound of shave soap and I got free bottles of matching aftershave with mine. Every order comes with a free gift and a hand written note from john. best service on the internet!

Quality: no complaints, it's a 10.

Scent: +1,000. I bought the original bay rum, and BR+sandalwood. the first time i lathered with the bay rum i didn't know whether to put it on my face or put it on some ice cream. this stuff smells edible. the scent from the soap doesn't last that long, but the aftershave sticks around for a long time. you control how long your BR experience lasts. This stuff was so amazing i had to go back for the sampler, the bath bar, and the deodorant which works great too.

lather: it's a little too fluffy to feel luxurious, but it is still a high quality shave, very slick.

efficacy: The blade glides over your skin and the slickness is still there for several passes without re-lathering. it can be hard to stretch the skin because of how slick this stuff is.

Moisturizing: The soap seems to moisturize a little. the aftershave makes it about neutral. but leaves my skin feeling really tight and smooth. I haven't had any problems with dry skin using Ogallala products.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I don't have too much to add to my esteemed colleagues who have already reviewed this soap.

Price: HUGE cake for $4.50, what's not to love?

Quality: the packaging is thorough, the soap is definitely top-quality. Lots of great ingredients: safflower oil, glycerin, shea butter, bentonite clay.

Scent: Not my favorite bay rum - heavy on the clove/cinnamon, rather sweet. It reminds me of an Episcopal church in the winter more than a swaggering cowboy. I'm still giving it a 9 because it's a very lovely smell.

Lather and Efficacy: this would be a perfect "beginner" soap for when you're getting your lathering technique down, and of course for the rest of your shaving career too. Very tolerant of water levels - dry or wet, this makes a nice, thick lather that protects the face very well.

Moisturizing: It's moisturizing! Hooray!

A must-have soap without a doubt.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I am new to DE shaving, but after buying the cheap WalMart shaving soap, this stuff is miracle soap to me. Great lather, fanastic smell, and along with my Merkur razor, gives me a pretty damn good shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is my new favorite soap, I have been using the sampler pack that I ordered for about 2 weeks and haven't even thought about my creams. The lather is a bit different but I got it figured out, and the scents are great. I'll be ordering more very soon.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Excellent soap, nice scent, outstanding leather. Really sets a standard; highly recommended.

P.S.: While I am not a big fan of Ogallala's witchhazel-based A/S, their Cologne is really nice, too. Give it a try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
My favorite Ogallala soap is the Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood. As far as I'm convinced this is damn near the Holy Grail of Shaving soap. Its GREAT! It lathers like you wouldn't believe, is nice and slick, and oh man! Does it ever smell good! The only thing I like better than the soap is the aftershave! don't get me started on that, that's a whole other review!

I think everyone needs some of this. And while you're at it buy some of the matching aftershave, and bath soap too. Heck, the Shaving and bath soap are only $4.50 for a whopping 4.5 ounces.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'm new to shave soaps, but I've used a few, so I can make somewhat of a comparison (at least I think:). Before I forget, for my fellow unscented fans, you want some of this stuff! I like the thick, creamy lather, and the readiness with which it comes up - the first of it I used was a sample they sent me, and it lasted quite a long time. I give the 9 and 7 I do because I feel some other stuff I used had better, what I call "afterslip" - lots of slip left even when you've finished, especially if you add warm water. But that's really a nitpicky detail, and I'll always use some Ogallalla.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I had ordered a sampler of this some time ago and tried the bay rum, limes, and peppercorn scent as this seemed the most interesting. Whoa,nelly!! This soap smells exactly like its name!:thumbup:

I fell in love with it and actually was upset when i finished the sample(not all of the samples-just this one!) not to worry-that was an excuse to place an order(RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!). Me being me, I ordered the shave soap, bath soap, and a/s/cologne-all for the whopping price of 18.95 sans s/h.:w00t:

John even includes a message in with the soap that it can be melted into any container.:wink:

As you can see by my ratings, it gets 10's all across the board-i guess that makes it the 'Bo Derek' of soaps. We always hear good things about Ogallala, but until you experience it fully for yourself, you are missing out on a wonderful shaving experience.

No wonder cowboys are still looked upon respectfully-they may have only shaved and bathed once a month, but when they did it was worth it!:tongue:
After a shave with this, I start heading for Silverado!

Superb lather, scent, efficacy, moisturizing, and price. Ogallala shave soaps are one of the true gems of the wetshaving world.

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I didn't feel like making separate reviews for all the soaps, and they're mostly all the same efficacy-wise with a couple exceptions so I chose to review them all here.

I rated price a ten, a dollar an ounce (4.5oz soap for $4.50) is an excellent value among shaving soaps.

Very impressed with Ogallala soaps! For one, the scents are OUTSTANDING :w00t:. My favorite (scent-wise) is possibly the Bay Rum & Sandalwood (magnificent!), but they're all excellent and are even more fragrant when they're lathered up. I can't stop sniffing the Cedar & Sage, reminds me of Christmas time. The Lemongrass and Limes/Peppercorn are awesome, as well. My least favorite (that is not to say it's bad at all!) is the original Bay Rum, but it performs the best for me out of all of them.

The lather is a bit interesting. It produces mounds of it, but it's of a different texture than I've seen before. The closest thing I can think of is the lather that I get from QED Pine & Cedarwood, dense but very fluffy (NOT airy). I find that at the same time these soaps are pretty economical, I don't really need much to produce tons of lather. I have to use a little more water with these, and if the lather comes out a little dry a little water brings them back to life.

Efficacy-wise they are all fairly similar, the exception being the Bay Rum & Sandalwood. This is possibly my favorite scent out of all of them. However, unfortunately, my face becomes red after using it and I've noticed that it wasn't quite as lubricating as the others and the razor pulled a bit. Pity, it smells amazing! I've heard the Lemongrass irritating some but not so in my case, no irritation or redness whatsoever! The original Bay Rum seems the best shaver out of them all, there was a slight "warmth" present throughout the shave but all is well that ends well. Fantastic shave. I believe John will have a repeat customer, I'll probably pick up with Cedar & Sage, Lemongrass and Limes & Peppercorn.

Fairly impressed with the moisturizing qualities of these soaps, as well. Probably due to the shea butter. I finished each shave off with a splash of Thayer's and a splash of alcohol-based aftershave and my face felt fantastic and still well moisturized after each.

These are fine quality soaps and I really recommend the shaving soap sampler. John will give you generous samples of each of these amazing scents, each enough for several shaves. He seems a truly generous man and a great gentleman to do business with.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I was shocked by how good this was. It has shea butter, and you can tell. It was moisturizing, had great lather and was slick as heck. Just unbelievable performance, and all for about $5. The scent is really nice, and the service from Ogallala is insane. They throw in tons of freebies and are very quick and friendly.

Highly highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing