What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum Soap

Item Description

I read all the forums old posts about this soap and then tried the new formulation. The new formulation is a shea butter based, opaque, meltable, glycerin soap that makes loads of slick lather. As one who normally (by personal preference) makes "Superlather" I purposed to make traditional lather here (no cream supplement) with my lowest quality (C&E EJ) Badger Brush. Not that the C&E is a "Low" quality, but I do have better.

First Look

Upon first inspection, I found the puck to be large (4.5 ounces net weight) and excellently priced. I had been in a L'Occtaine store the day before, so anything priced south of ten buck would have been good, but this was less than five dollars, and if purchasing more than one puck, spreads the shipping cost out. It was definitely not a super hard cold processed soap - it felt smooth and slick in my hand without water, and does it ever smell great. I am using the Original Bay Rum fragrance, but also received a full size BR & Sandlewood, and nice size samples of the BR, Limes and Peppercorns, the BR and Lemongrass and the BR, Sage and Cedar. They all smell great, had a consistent look and feel. They look as if color has been added to differentiate the flavors which I could do without - but the color of the bay rum had no effect on my brush.

Price

I believe the price to be very competitive. I recently purchase a C&E SAO for $5.00 at 1.7 ounces. I have several MB soaps at $5.95 to $6.95. The Ogallala BR soaps are less than $5.00 for 4.5 ounces - which I think to be an awesome price.

Meltable

I like to put my soaps in nice containers (vintage) and as John told me it was meltable, that is what I did, 38 seconds in the microwave and my container was filled. This is a large puck, much bigger than the L'Occataine or the C&E that I have recently purchased and it melted and reset wonderfully.

Lather

The old issues with latherability are gone. Do I need to say that louder, They are just gone. This soap makes lots of rich, smooth, slick, slick, slick, great smelling lather. I loaded my brush for about 20 seconds, used an empty TOBS bowl and started to mash and swirl. The lather grew and grew and was more than enough for 4 passes, although I only use three. It was really slick and moisturized great (probably the shea butter). My wife loved the feel of the lather and the smell, she watched me shave today.

Summary

In summary, I like this soap, I like it alot and I believe it will be my go to soap for a long time. It is at least on par with the TOBS soaps (which I like) for lather and quality and I think maybe better. The fragrance is as good or better than my MB Glycerin soaps and makes a better lather than the MB soaps. The fragrance is excellent and along with the price - it is a big time winner in IMHO.

Latest reviews

Pros: Smells awesome and moisturizes well
Cons: Hard to lather
Maybe I had a puck from an inferior batch formulation because although the scent to me was very pleasant and the moisturizing was great, I found the lather to be difficult to whip up. I wouldn't rule out this soap for the future but for now I'll stay away from it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice scent, not difficult to lather, shapes into a container very easily
Cons: not very protective, does not last long
First two shaves were amazing. The soap loss most of its glycerine (looks like sweat drops) and the overall performance of the soap immediately goes down the hill. Tried different pucks leaving them always covered, uncovered and no dif. I add a couple drops of glycerine and a reliable cream to use the product but will not buy again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: All.
Cons: Availability, Fear of discontinuation.
Since I am a newbie with little experience under my belt, I simply wish to share my opinion in hope that it will help and guide others as much as possible. In a nutshell, the Ogallala Bay Rum soap excells in all categories. It's simply fantastic! 1-Quality: The soap, once removed from its careful wrapping, smells and feels like its worth hundreds of dollars: distinctive and unique smell, while the soap puck feels like cream that has been somehow transformed into solid form. 2-Price: Although It costs 7CAD from an online canadian store (compared to 3-5 USD elsewhere), it is well worth it. No doubts and no regrets. 3-Scent: The proprietary smell is absolutely mesmerizing! I have the original variety (they have multiple flavors). The beautiful and strong odor of cloves fills my washroom very quickly. 4-Lather: I melted the puck in the microwave (as instructed on the box) and poured it in my vintage shaving mug. It lathers up very fast and effortlessly. Very user friendly, the lather is unbelievably creamy! 5-Efficacy: Provides a wonderfully pleasant cushion and glide to the face. Hardly any residual film after regular rinsing-rinses right off with no rubbing. 6-Moisturizing: Average, nothing fancy, does not work magic. 7-Finally, FUN: In my honest opinion, the grade of this product is fit for kings. It enhances the shave fun factor exponentially! My little treasure. ///// All the best. Carlo.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)