What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns

Pros: The scent, skin toning
Cons: None
I was a big fan of OBR with Sandalwood - still am, but this scent just knocks me out. I really wasn't sure I was a lime or citrus-wearing type of guy, but this one has changed my mind completely. Maybe it's the addition of the peppercorns that adds a musky quality to it, but whatever it is, I think it's just about perfect. It also seems to be longer-lasting than the OBR with Sandalwood.

There is also an nostalgia factor for me. This scent reminds me of how my father smelled after his shaves, back in the 1960s-70s. Seems like a lot of men back then went for a sort of citrus scent. So wearing OBR with Limes and Peppercorns really takes me back.

I don't think this has any alcohol, but there is a slight burn going on when it's first applied, maybe from the citrus oil? It doesn't feel bad, however, and calms down quickly. Overall, great stuff!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
On technical points, this is substantially the same as Ogallala's other products: the scent is really where it's at. This is Ogallala's coup de grâce. It's full of so much win it's not even funny. The "Please, sir, can I have some more?" of aftershaves. The . . . oh, I'm running out of silly ways to say how great it is.

So you think most Bay Rums are too thick, heavy, or sweet smelling? You may like the peppercorn "edge": a wonderful counterpoint.

Bay Rum not really suited for summer? Enter lime. There's a reason so many "Bay Rum with a Twist" variations are available: it just works.

So, if Ogallala is your favourite Bay Rum, this will be your favourite Bay Rum with a Twist. Even if not, the rough peppercorn bite might win you over: it's really the one note needed to make Bay Rum a well-rounded fragrance.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A must have in your shave den-w/o it, yours is not a shave den! :biggrin:

You will notice that I nly scored it a '4' on cooling sensation. 5 would be average, but since i do not notice a cooling effect, it gets the 4. However, it does such a wonderul job of calming the shaved area, it makes up for this in fighting razor burn.

Moisturizing is another area that is good . There are times when I do not use a balm after putting this on and never miss it. :w00t:

I gave it a 10 for no alcohol burn, because there is no burn period with this stuff,bad shave no problem, terrible shave, no problem. In fact,i'm tempted to pour it on my next open wound!

The scent is self-explanatory and absolutely wonderful-i feel like I've just hit town, had a shower and shave and am ready to head for the saloon. John got this scent exactly right. I may not been alive during the cowboy era, but if so,this is how I would have smelled!

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I just plain didn't like the smell of this one. I got a sample of it with my bay rum order. The scent smelled a little too much like cleaner. I have yet to apply it to my skin because of the smell. Maybe one day (when I am not going out in public) I will put this stuff on my skin and see if it smells any better. While the plain Ogalla Bay Rum is pretty decent stuff, this stuff just doesn't cut it with its scent. I won't post an official rating until I actually try this stuff on my skin, but at this point it is a no go.
CBMC;807979 said:
I just plain didn't like the smell of this one. I got a sample of it with my bay rum order. The scent smelled a little too much like cleaner. I have yet to apply it to my skin because of the smell. Maybe one day (when I am not going out in public) I will put this stuff on my skin and see if it smells any better. While the plain Ogalla Bay Rum is pretty decent stuff, this stuff just doesn't cut it with its scent. I won't post an official rating until I actually try this stuff on my skin, but at this point it is a no go.

When I first got my Ogallala Bay Rum cologne, my whole family ran screaming after I opened the bottle and they took a sniff.

Now I wear it regularly and no one complains. Really. Put it on. It will be completely different!!

-Mason
YYYYYEEEOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!
MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.....

This stuff BURNS but smells really nice! Reminds me of certain types of Potpourri. The oils and natural additives soothe the face, after you get over the burn.

I may be a masochist, but when I have a bad shave, I actually like putting this on. Reminds me to take my time and be more careful the next time around :001_smile

In all seriousness.. service from Ogallala is wonderful! The freebies are a definite plus and they have a wide range of effective shaving products for those of you who like the smell and variants of Bay Rum! Get over the fear of pain.. after a few seconds, the pain will only be a memory but your face will feel great all day!
-\Visdom
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
masonjarjar;813477 said:
When I first got my Ogallala Bay Rum cologne, my whole family ran screaming after I opened the bottle and they took a sniff.

Now I wear it regularly and no one complains. Really. Put it on. It will be completely different!!

-Mason

+1. I think it is generally accepted that the OGB-R's are better on the skin than in the bottle. I did not like the original B-R sample I got in the bottle but in an atomizer--very nice.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I received some of this as a sample with my bay rum and tried it for the first time today.

I am pleasantly surprised, it has a fresh scent that I find enjoyable.

It's a lime scent with bay rum undertones, but I am not sure what a peppercorn scent should be.

I like the bay rum with it's clove and holiday smell. This is almost a spring like fragrance.

I don't find any of the Ogallala products have an overpowering scent and the scent does not last too long, and they don't do much for cooling. But overall, I quite like the Ogallala products I have tried so far, and do like the lime peppercorn too. :smile:
It was the same for me. But on the skin the smell is great,now it's one of my favorites.
OGBR Limes & Peppercorn:

No matter what your opinion is based on the name, the scent is out of this world! Clean, refreshing. Sweet lime and spicy peppercorn is exactly the right combination.

Fights Razor Burn/Cooling Sensation/No Alcohol Burn: This AS feels like it's a Witch Hazel base and not alcohol based. Virtually no burn while it tightens and tones and calms irritated skin. No menthol/Eucalyptus for cooling effect, but there is no need for it.

I think this will be my new "go-to" scent. As Marty said, I wasn't alive during the cowboy era, but if I was, this is what it would have been like!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I usually use a balm. However, when I want an AS Splash, this fits the bill. The scent is pleasant and not overpowering.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I'm using this as a cologne, so I won't comment on its aftershave performance. This is some pretty rad-smelling stuff, and Ogallala Bay Rum is a company that clearly wants to make and keep repeat customers. Customer service is second to none, John is great via email or the phone, shipping is fast, prices are low, and the order came PACKED with freebies (and good ones, too, probably enough for a month or two of solid use). Don't hesitate for a second to order something.

Anyway, as other posters have said, the scent is the real knockout with this aftershave/cologne. The peppercorn adds a pervasive spice to the very sweet Bay Rum base and the lime sharpens that further. Spicy, sweet and citrusy, this is just a great scent. Not too much reminiscent of a barbershop bay rum, but very masculine, natural and delightful smelling - not a fussy chemical note in there. Spectacular!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I bought this based on the reviews here. Similar to other reviewers, I don't think it smells that great in the bottle. What it does on the skin is another story. My wife says it's "delicious," and it really is an outstanding bay rum. John is a class act as well. I will definitely be one of his repeat customers.
I have to say, of all my aftershaves...this has become more and more the "go to" AS I use.

I had never tried anything with "Bay Rum" in the title before OGBR Limes & Peppercorns. I read the reviews. I contacted gurus to ask their sage wisdom and teachings. But until I climbed the mountain...I couldn't understand.

First off...this stuff smells like jump back dammit in the bottle. On your skin, it smells great!

It kicks like a horse at Frontier Days when you put it on...the alcohol is heavy enough for it to say cologne on the bottle, but it still leaves your face toned and refreshed due to the heavy Witch Hazel influence.

Great price, great scent (on you), fights razor burn like the dickens (due to the kick your butt alcohol content) and leaves your skin supple and ready for SWMBO to kiss.

All in all a must for any shave den!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Overall, this is a pretty good splash. The scent is quite nice, but a summer/fall scent to be sure (I won't be using it in the winter). The lime and peppercorn cuts the bay rum scent, which is great, because the bay rum is way too sweet for my tastes (though I might have to make use of my sample one day down the road). It has some moisturizing properties, but for anyone who follows up their splashes with a balm or is typically a balm user, then this still won't cut it.

The only negative quality I see is the burn. It isn't too bad, but it does tingle a bit (even my lips) about 10-15 seconds after application. That said, I've tried other splashes that are worse.

Overall, this is a product worth trying out and probably worth holding on to. It might be something of an acquired taste, but most things that worth it are.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: A 4 oz bottle sells for less than $20.

Quality: Very good.

Fights Razor Burn: Average. I find aftershaves with menthol and alcohol do a better job with fighting razor burn.

Cooling Sensation: It has no menthol and very little alcohol so N/A.

Scent: The scent is great. It is very appealing, yet unique.

Efficacy: The strong point of the Ogallala aftershaves is that they leave my face feeling great. By great I mean soft, smooth and healthy. Every time I use this aftershave I can't believe how good my face feels.

Moisturizing: It is somewhat moisturizing and it won't leave a film afterwards.

Alcohol Burn: There is almost no alcohol burn.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)