What's new

Norpro Dip Chiller aka the best scuttle you can get

Pros: Inexpensive, It Works
Very useful for an inexpensive alternative to a regular scuttle.You do have to hold both bowls at their lip so it doesn't rotate or clang but no big deal.Keeps lather warm for entire shave.Boiling water will make lather hot but will breakdown the lather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I echo all the sentiments above and would like to add:

The classic white finish fits in well with almost any white bathroom decor. SWMBO likes this better than any of my other DE supplies because I use it to hide my razor (gasp)! I use it for nice hot lather and when I'm done for the day I dry it out carefully (while my witchhazel is drying on my face) then spritz my razor with some isopropyl alcohol. After I'm done putting on aftershave the razor is totally dried, and I put it inside the Norpro "scuttle", put the cap on and it just looks like a nice decorative piece of pottery.

I put the cover on between passes and my lather stays very warm all the way to the fourth pass even when I'm taking my sweet time about it.

VERY good deal. Pick up a sampler pack of blades on amazon at the same time you buy this and you'll get shipping free (total purchase price just needs to be over $25 and which one of you guys with AD can't find a few pucks of Col. Conk's or some Thayer's or Corn Huskers on amazon to push your purchase up to $25?)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
D
Thanks for letting me know about this "scuttle." I bought one based on the positive reviews and I love it. So now I am adding my own positive review. Keeps my lather warmer and for much longer than my previous method (floating bowl in bowl). It also looks beautiful. Until tomorrow my Norpo dip chiller...:001_tt1:
My good friend paul.c. sent me one of these as a gift. I have no other scuttle to compare it with, please consider that while reading my review.

proxy.php

Price:
Considering what the price of even the cheapest "real" scuttle is the Norpro is a real bargain

Quality:
The price taken into account this product is well made and has no visuable flaws

Performance:
It keeps my lather warm for a full five pass shave - and the inner bowl is large enough for whipping up lather. Perfect!

Usefulness:
I usually just do the "floating bowl" trick when shaving, but for the few brushes I have that are too large to balance in the floating bowl (like the Omega 10098 Prof. boar) a scuttle comes in handy

Durability:
It would undoubtably break if dropped, but othervice it seems rather sturdy

Packaging:
Kept the scuttle safe all the way from the US to Denmark. I think that says it all

If you are in the market for a scuttle, but want's to try a cheaper option before shelling out for one of the more expencive ones - or your simply are on a budget - the Norpro is highly reccomendable.

Regards.

Jakob
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I ordered this dip chiller/scuttle after reading the reviews here. I have Amazon prime shipping so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was only $12.99. I got it today, I tried it out and it worked wonderfully. I can't believe that I got such a great item for only $12.99. I recommend this to anyone who wants a great scuttle to keep their lather warm , but doesn't want to lay down $42 bucks (plus shipping). And as another reviewer said if you don't like it, you can always use it to keep your dip cool.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
ok here goes, I also have prime shipping

ps

I have also invested a small fortune, 4 brushes, 3 razors 3 stands and 1 stand alone brush holder. 3 Mugs, 7 creams rangeing from trumper,taylor, castle etc 5 soaps, well you get the picture.

Due to the recent post on building lather. I think I'm on the right track, butttt I was searching for a cheap way of "hot" lathering, currently using "maniac's" sink method.

Even tho it is only another $12, My wife will kill me!!! Sooo I will advise hopefully tuesday of this coming week as how it turns out for me.:w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
After first reading this post some weeks ago, I purchased this same item from Amazon. Having already invested a fair amount of money into my newly discovered DE shaving "hobby", I wanted to solve the problem of having warm lather in a creative and inexpensive way. It works! The lather remains properly warm for 3-4 passes. The "scuttle" is easily cleaned. I higly recommend this to others.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
Great Deal! I heading to Amazon right now! Thanks for the tip
In my search for a useful scuttle I have tried many of times to create my own using nested bowls of some sort but never quite worked the way I wanted it to. While searching the internet for something I can't remember I came across a image of a ceramic dip chiller and bingo! thats what I needed, it had a smaller ceramic bowl to hold dip and a bigger bowl to hold ice. Well I figured if it can keep things cold it can keep things hot so I did a bit of searching and came across this dip chiller on Amazon. For the price it couldn't be beat and with my free trial of Amazon Prime I got free 2 day shipping.

proxy.php

When I received the dip chiller aka scuttle, I also got my first puck of Tabac shaving soap. So I filled the larger bowl with water that was right off the boil from from my electric kettle. I loaded my brush with Tabac and lathered it up with some water in the inner bowl and WOW not only did I get loads of creamy lather, thanks Tabac! But, it was warm and toasty, but the real test would be how long it would stay that way all the way through 3 passes. Well it passed that test, it was still pretty toasted after my 3rd pass which was really nice.

proxy.php

All in all this dip chiller was very functional as a scuttle. I highly recommend it, I mean for $13 bucks you just can't beat it, and if you don't like it you can always use it as well a dip chiller!

Discussion Thread here.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance