What's new

No-Name Tea Pot

Good idea, and well done review.
Anyone know where I can order something similar in the States?
Tea pot as a scuttle?
[imga=right]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=15496[/imga]There are only few shave related items which can be bought for little money. But you can always take something and alter its original purpose. Regularly this is cheaper. And such is this neat pot. The little tea pot was obviously meant to make tea inside it. It’s a three piece kind of pot which has lid, the infusion drop-in (see picture 3), and the cup. You take some tea loose tea, put it in the drop-in and pour hot water inside it. I bought it at a local store and the sales lady wrapped it up good. Although this isn’t the most luxurious packaging it serves the purpose. And as a tea pot it’s gonna keep the warmth inside it as the standard purpose. This is what we wish for even when we don’t do tea.

The pot.
displayimage.php

Neat isn’t it?
displayimage.php

Now on to the shave test. As with hot pot lather you do in a very similar fashion pre-heat your cup and the drop-in (!) and pour boiling water in it. From what I’ve learnt during my first test drive I must pay attention on the water level. If you don’t you may end up with too much water which will then come in contact with the tips of the brush and destroy your lather. So in regard of the usefulness it’s not as easy as a drop-in without holes. Drop-ins from real scuttles are either made without holes or are not as deep. But if your water is hot enough it’s a bliss. Especially when shaving with a straight and not going as fast as Willi.

[imga=left]http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=15499[/imga]Price - For 2,69€ this is a steal if you want to experiment with a scuttle but not breaking the bank. Besides PIFing you could take some dish soap and use it as a tea mug or put shaving soap in it if you don’t want to scuttle with it anymore. It’s good as a container although the cup is too small to build lather in it.
Quality and Durability – This is a simple tea pot. As it is made to take boiling water it won’t break if you do that (take care of the brush though). Ok there is at least one varnish tear, the holes aren’t as precisely painted with lacquer as they could have been, and the drop-in doesn’t fit the cup perfectly.
Performance wise this pot isn’t as outstanding as a Moss/Georgia/SWK scuttle. But clearly it isn’t even half as expensive. If it cracks because you go over the top, so what? Further it is not as big and bulky as the scuttles mentioned above. Good for small cabinets. Good for SWMBOs. :biggrin:
displayimage.php

Overall - At first I thought how cheaply painted this cup is but is varnished in a way to resemble old porcelain. Still it isn’t as gorgeous as a true scuttle. So if you enjoy this then what joy must it be for you to have a real one? Anyway the drop-in holds brushes up to a 28mm knot. For the money a real good substitute.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
3.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)