What's new

Nivea for Men After Shave Balm, Replenishing, Normal to Dry Skin

Pros: Good on dry winter days
Cons: Slightly oily
This is okay. I just wish it wasn't oily feeling. Other than that it feels good on the skin in the winter
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothes after a nice shave or even better, after a bad one
Cons: Higher price with a little sent
This has been my goto post shave for about 6/7 years now. It has a lot more positives than negatives.

Pros:
Lasts long: I've had two since 2012 when I was at college and still have about one and a half of these. This makes the price worth it compared to more inexpensive options like Afta and Aqua Velva.
Fighting Razor Burn: I've found whether it is cartridge or DE, it will clear up razor burn and insure that your skin replenishes in between shaves, especially rough ones.
Moisturizing: the balm moisturizes really well.
Alcohol burn: I don't recall having burn issues with this, even with badly covered up nics and cuts.

Con:
Scent: For me, I don't notice much of a scent with it. If you want a scent to go with it, I suggest using a moisturizer such as Nivea with SPH 4 or Bath and Body Works Ocean Breeze; a cologne; a body spray like Axe or Old Spice; or an after shave with a distinct sent like Afta.

Really good after shave balm, I HIGHLY suggest new shavers to use this as their go to for the base and adding a scent on top of it, if they really need to have a scent with it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, works great
The Nivea ASB I use after every shave, I find it works good and compared to others you can get it cheap when stores have Nivea discount.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: lives up to it's mission
Cons: Scent
A word of warning. Don't put this on if you plan on going to dinner within the hour. I made the mistake of putting this on and sitting down for dinner and it literally overpowered the kitchen. I had to go back to the downstairs rest room and rinse it off. Great for the gym, going to work but allow an hour for this to mellow out. Otherwise you'll be tastings the menthol while you eat. Full disclosure. I'm also one to like mellow scents. Anyone want a free bottle?

Also let me add for comparison this product has considerably more menthol than Poraso balm. Much more.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I can't match the poetry and story telling above but I will vouch that this is great stuff. I like this particular formulation because it contains alcohol.

It gives just the perfect amount of alcohol burn but it feels great because the balm is very soothing and moisturizing. I also tried Speick balm because that one also contains alcohol. However, it just didn't soothe and kill any irritation like the Nivea does. After the Nivea my face fells fantastic instantly and then for the rest of the day.

The scent is very nice and is a light, masculine, spicy marine scent. It fades within minutes and doesn't clash with cologne.

This is the best balm I have used. The price is around $5 and it lasts a long time. I highly recommend it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
You've just finished your shave and ready to cool and soothe your tender skin. You take out the Nivea Replenishing AS from your tidy den labyrinth, open the bottle, and take a wiff - transporting you to the crisp, clean and sunny weather of Huntington Beach. Your feet are submerged in warm grainy sand; nose and cheeks delighted by the ocean mist. You frolic to a nearby game of beach volleyball where a blond damsel catches your attention. You motion her over to smell the aftermath of your shaving masterpiece. She is pleased. With a cocked eyebrow and arm over the sheilas shoulders you take her away for a night on the town - Nivea style.

This AS is a pretty slick concoction, typical for Nivea products. An almond-size dollop is all you need to spread all over your mug. The scent reminds me of any given Hollister fragrance: a bit spicy but fresh. Be sure to apply to a dry face as this AS has enough moisture to remain active for about 10-25 minutes post-shave. YMMV
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Ive tryed alot of diffirent nivea aftershaves. Since they changed the packages this aftershave became much more thick. I think this is a good thing.

It works good and not that expensive. It doesnt run out quickly. Dont like the smell too much but its okey.

Im gonna use this bottle then try Truefitt and Hills 1805´s aftershave balm.

Well this aftershave does it purpose and I think its good 7/10
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just wanted to toss in my two cents. It's funny how subjective scent can be: I see that most reviewers liked this stuff's scent, and some used "masculine" and "marine" to describe it. My take was wholly different: "geriatric" and "diaper-like". Different strokes...

That's really my only complaint with it though. I'm pretty inexperienced with aftershaves, but this stuff felt good enough, and was affordable.
Description: NIVEA FOR MEN Replenishing After Shave Balm gently soothes and moisturizes skin after shaving. It is quickly absorbed and does not leave the skin greasy. The condition of the skin is noticeably improved. Skin feels soft and relaxed long after application.

Price: At about $8.99 CND for a 100ml bottle, the price cannot be beat!
Quality: A high-quality, inexpensive, German made product. The improved formula with Sea Minerals provides the skin with valuable moisture and keeps it healthy-looking.
Fights Razor Burn: Very effective ASB combating razor burn. Enriched with caring ingredients, the balm immediately calms skin discomfort, boosts skin’s self-defence capabilities against shaving damage, and delivers an intense level of long-lasting moisture.
Cooling Sensation: Pleasant cooling sensation, unlike some of the menthol based products out there in the market. Enriched with caring Vitamin E and Provitamin B5, the skin’s own natural protection system is supported to help the skin regenerate.
Scent: I absolutely LOVE this scent! Sometimes I sneak a smell of the bottle when I pass by the washroom, believe it or not! The new formulation does still smell like the older formulation I remember back in the 80s, but maybe a little toned down to appeal to the masses.
Efficacy: Dermatologist tested, this stuff really shines in all areas!
Moisturizing: This ASB keeps my dry and sensitive skin properly hydrated and moisturized all day long until I go to bed. Completely NON-GREASY!
No Alcohol Burn: No burn here, unless you're applying it to open wounds! Just a pleasant, tingling sensation that wakes me up a little and tells me I'm alive!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Isn't bad for the money but not my cup of tea. Does fight razor burn but the smell really gets to me
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is a decent product. Sort of works, sort of soothes, but does not have any real "pop" or excitement to it. Very mild formulation, really inexpensive and readily available. From some of the reviews it seems to really do the job for some folks. To me, it just does not have what it takes to make the rotation. I gave away the bottle after about three uses. I like my balms to contribute to the shave experience and this was about as plain as it gets.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I don't use balms that often but this one is good for the price and it definitely helps with my occasional razor burn issues.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Maybe not the best after shave balm out there but I believe still a pretty decent product. My go-to after shave treatment when my skin is irritated or I did a rush shaving job with resulting razor burn. Nice soothing effect, not too greasy, smell pleasant and not too pronounced and an ok price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been using all the products in Nivea's AS line, but this and the Sensitive have been staples in my collection for as long as I can remember. Though the alcohol burn can be a little pronounced, especially after a rough shave, it is made up for by how well the balm works. Very moisturizing, smells great, and isn't that heavy if you don't over do it. The price and availability make it a great buy, and the way it makes my face feel after application will keep me coming back. At least until reformulation, which Nivea seems to enjoy doing.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
For $6 it's hard to go wrong with this; it's moderately cooling, moderately soothing, and smells pretty darn good. The only thing I don't like is that it's a little 'heavy' so I water it down with a couple of drops of water--or put it on while my face is still wet--to make sure it gets spread evenly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is the perfect one stop shop shaving lotion/balm.

I wish they made it in a smaller plastic container so I could take it everywhere with me!

The new formula seems like it really is a worthwhile formulation change. I've not tried the extra sensative one, but for my very dry skin this balm does pretty darn good. I think it will excel during summer months.

Its soothing, its got a little sting, its cooling, it takes out the bite of some of my irritation, and leaves my skin feeling pretty darn good... All that, and its in a classy glass bottle.

I may have to keep one of these in my desk drawer at work in case I'm feeling a little burn through out the day.

I'm thinking about starting a new review for the new formula... Not sure what the differences are... but there must be something in there...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is my favorite AS in the low-price segment, I prefer it a lot over Brute. It soothes well, it's a little more stingy than its unscented brother, which you might prefer if you have sensitive skin. The scent is mild & fleeting, but long enough to get my attention.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I picked this out of Nivea's lineup particularly because it was the one balm that included alcohol. If you're looking for an alcohol-free balm, they have several others.

The scent is nothing to write home about, which is what I look for in something for daily use: I prefer understated scents (or no scent at all, which is why I usually just use a splash of witch hazel) when I'm not "dressing up" otherwise. This is a nice, clean, hygenic scent. It's not particularly masculine, but it's not particularly anything. It just is. It smells like fresh, nice toiletry products, which is, I imagine, what they're going for. It's not medicinal-smelling, which was my worry.

The other nice thing about it is the bottle. Maybe I'm cutting myself off from a lot of nice products, but I refuse to have plastic bottles sitting around my counter. The heavy milk-glass bottle looks completely in place, and feels high-quality.

All Nivea balms are wonderfully moisturizing, though you'd probably want to stick to an alcohol-free one if you have dry skin, or during the winter. It's fall now, and I think this won't get much more use until spring hits, simply because I only use a balm if I need the extra moisturizing, and otherwise use a splash. I may have to pick up an alcohol-free Nivea, simply because it's too nice to go on the shelf for that long.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've got all of them and love them equally. I use this one if I shave in the evenings or in the winter. I use the Sensitive and Fresh during morning shaves depending on the day and what cream/soap/gel I use that day.

I don't know why Nivea likes to fiddle with re-formulation, they can just re-introduce the old one as classic.

Creatine allows cells to retain water, that's what I know, but how it works in this scenario is beyond me. This is rather interesting.

I agree with the initial review, and I enjoy the entire Nivea line for men. One mass marketed product that is better than the Gillette stuff out there. Affordable, easily likeable in terms of scent and texture, and over-all a great product.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I went back to this for several reasons. First, this product is dermatologically tested. This gives me comfort that the product has some form of clinical review. I know it probably isn't done at the the Mayo Clinic but at least it is a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned..It is also very reasonably priced. My girl friend likes the smell (that is a litmus test sort of for me). It is found at your local drug store or Walmart. My skin feels good after an application, post shave..sort of refreshing. I feel that it moisturizes well and sooths nicely after a shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)