What's new

Nivea Extra Soothing Balm/Sensitive skin

Pros: Cooling, soothing
For the money this has to be the best after shave balm available. I would buy this product if it were twice the price. Well worth it.

Put it on after nice shave and your face is as good as new. It cools, refreshes, moisturizes with no burn.

This is the best shave product I have ever used.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: nice smell and great price
have two bottles just finished one and always carry one in the car cubbyhole. simple and smells fine. newer to wet shaving and finding joy in others now but will keep this too
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Affordable, Lasts long, Moisturizes well, Absorbs quickly
Great product, will be using for a long time.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: no Razor burn.
Cons: none
I bought this firs about 6 months ago after getting a 3 dollar off coupon in the Sunday Paper. I have been impressed and it works great.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth, Non-greasy,subtle to non scent
Cons: none
Just a little dab does it. Very mild scent which works if you need to fly under the olfactory radar. You can always top it with something else. Dries down nicely.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Decent price and leaves skin moisturized
Cons: A little sticky
Good, everyday moisturizer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, no alcohol burn
Cons: The smell, leaves a greasy feel
The price is good, there is no alcohol burn, it was soothing going on, but two points about it really turned me off.
1. The smell was horrible. It was like a cross between a hospital and a sanitary hand-wipe.
2. It did leave a greasy feeling on the skin.

I tried adding other essential oils to it to improve it, but finally gave it to a friend who happened to like it.

As with so many AS it is YMMV
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Great consistency, my skin drinks it in!
Cons: Bottle weight makes it hard to know how much is left
This is my basic ASB. I might follow it with some Bay Rum or Royal Lyme, but as balms go, this is it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Decent scent, effective, moisturizing and soothing.
Cons: If you are looking for a cooling effect you will be disappointed.
Price: Retails for a little over $5.00 and is availble at most major retailers.

Quality: It's thin and a little goes along way. A bottle will last you a few months or more.

Fights Razor burn: I use after witch hazel so I have no idea how it works by itself. This combo definitely stops bumps but sometimes I'm still a bit red afterwards. I shave every other day and use it even on days I don't which takes care of any lingering redness.

Cooling sensation: N/A

Scent: A many smell that dissipates of a few hours. Pairs well with most classic colognes.

Efficacy: Delivers what the bottle promises but may not be deliver for all skin types.

Moisturizing: Makes my skin soft and moist for hours.

No Alcohol Burn: No burn whatsoever.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Light pleasant scent.
Cons: mild
This is a predictably mild soothing balm with a pleasant, sweet and slightly floral/herbacious (maybe, I'm not an expert) scent. I like to apply it following the application of an aftershave splash and have not found it to conflict with Proraso or Aqua Velva Sport which I have been using it with lately. On the contrary, in my opinion it complements those scents nicely, and is subtle to the point that I would think it unlikely to combine noticeably poorly with a typical aftershave splash.

I like a little alcohol sting and the tightening feeling that comes with many splashes, and this, being for sensitive skin and a balm, does not really deliver in that department. However, I live in Colorado where winters (and for that matter springs, summers and autumns) are commonly very dry so having a balm in addition to a splash checks all of my post shave boxes right now, i.e. slight stinging/cooling splash, with the moisturizing balm. For people with truly sensitive skin or who don't like the feeling of typical splashes I imagine that this alone would work nicely.

I have read at least one comment about any scent not being appropriate for a product designed for sensitive skin and I am not in agreement with that concept. There are plenty of scentless products that work well for sensitive skin. In my opinion it is nice to have a mild and pleasant scented option with a product designed for sensitive skin, and for me this is an excellent option.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Improved lighter scent,not oily or greasy,absorbs no more parabens
Cons: no astringent qualities
I had issues with this product that caused me to breakout and irritation and ended up dumping it and was pretty oily.But I then discovered that Nivea reformulated it with the new Active Comfort System balm which is now free of parabens and a much lighter scent.I decided to give Nivea another chance and Im very glad I did.Gone is the irritation,and breakouts,and its not as oily and I use this following an application of alum or splash .I recently aquired online coupons and stocked up on this at $2.75 each and will stay as part of my rotation.If you were bothered by this before by reactions,I suggest you try the new Active Comfort System formula.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Is available cheap in supermarkts
This is a very good and cheap product, its sold in The Netherlands as Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

I got a hold off mine stock because I got 60% discount in a supermarket, normaly the price is around € 7, but I paid € 3.

It doesnt have a strong scent and to be honest I don't think anyone will smell it, but it does the job good for aftershave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Smells "cosmetic", leaves skin feeling greasy, caused a pimply breakout around the corners of my mouth. Does feel nice and seems to sooth and moisturize but for me it misses the mark.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality Glass jar, positive locking cap, small amount goes a long way, NO alcohol, NO dye, great feeling balm
Cons: somewhat greasy feel, but towels off the hand extremely quickly
Price - Great price and availabilityQuality - Bottom line, due to overall quality, price and availability, this will always be an anchor of my supplies.Fights Razor Burn - works wonderfully!Cooling Sensation - I don't notice a huge cooling sensation but... (see moisturizing)Efficacy - 100% most effective balm I've used to this point in my life.Moisturizing - (con't from Cooling Sensation)... it really goes on smooth, covers a large surface area, and immediately works were needed.No Alcohol Burn - no alcohol, no burn!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Got this at Wal-Mart - no other aftershaves that really interested me. Overall, it feels pretty nice going on, doesn't feel sticky, and the scent is pleasant.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great price, Keeps skin moist, a little goes a log way
I have been using this for the last decade. I wish I would have known about it sooner, as a teenager I had oily, acne troubled skin. Regular alcohol based AS's would dry the hell out of my face. This stuff does not have the said "cooling sensation", but it relieves the burn of razor quickly and effectively. Not to mention you don't need a lot. No alcohol and zero dry skin is a winning combo. It smells identical to the proraso balm and is a fraction of the cost. Not to mention it also contains less preservatives and parabens. Don't get me wrong....I love proraso, but hey....if it isn't broken.....
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: soothes, moisturizes
Mostly it has all been said...great price. great product, does what it was designed to do...one of my favorite attributes of the product is that I use it after my AS. I like the AS burn and scent and the Nivea finishes the burn and transforms it into a wonderful glow. As well it dampens the strong scent of the AS. This allows me to massage in generous amounts of AS for a solid shave finish, and not have to worry about setting off those who are scent sensitive in the workplace and it leaves me with a good glow and just enough scent for my enjoyment and those who I want up close and personal.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my favorite AS balm at any price. There's a good chance I'll never buy another.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is a basic "neutral" balm that soothes skin well after shaving. I rub it into my beard area, neck and the rest of my face after my aftershave has dried. Nothing fancy here and I like that. This product just works.

It helps to give some extra suppleness and softness to my skin so it doesn't feel tight after shaving. It absorbs quickly and completely and doesn't leave any residue. The scent is light and on me disappears after I get the balm completely rubbed in. The moisture this provides lasts me the whole day. It doesn't really have any cooling sensation to speak of but I don't think it's meant to because it doesn't contain any menthol or similar ingredients. There is no alcohol in this Nivea ASB variety and thus no alcohol burn. The price is reasonable at around $5 since you don't have to use much and this bottle will last a long time.

Here's how I would sum up this balm...kind of an odd combination, it rates almost straight 10's but yet somehow is still not spectacular. A classic. It's like an Audi, top quality and solid consistency but it isn't showy at all. I'll probably use it forever.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've applied as little as I could siphon out and then rubbed it flat. Still leaves a.. frictional residue that's on my face over an hour later, takes away any smoothness of the shave. The scent also leaves much to be desired IMO. Smells like my mother's Eucerin lotion, and while it is light if you apply it to your entire face it will be noticeable for an hour or so in my experience.

Personally I use Proraso (splash followed by liquid-creme, yeah I know but it just feels so good...), but if I was looking at a drug store brand while traveling or something, I'd go for any of the Gillette Fusion branded stuff or it's predecessor (in the small blue tubes) over this.

I will admit Nivea did a good job on the aesthetics. Glass container and solid cap give it a nice high-class feel by comparison to similar offerings.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)